Back to Introduction to Thermodynamics: Transferring Energy from Here to There

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Thermodynamics: Transferring Energy from Here to There by University of Michigan

COURSE DESCRIPTION This course provides an introduction to the most powerful engineering principles you will ever learn - Thermodynamics: the science of transferring energy from one place or form to another place or form. We will introduce the tools you need to analyze energy systems from solar panels, to engines, to insulated coffee mugs. More specifically, we will cover the topics of mass and energy conservation principles; first law analysis of control mass and control volume systems; properties and behavior of pure substances; and applications to thermodynamic systems operating at steady state conditions. COURSE FORMAT The class consists of lecture videos, which average 8 to 12 minutes in length. The videos include integrated In-Video Quiz questions. There are also quizzes at the end of each section, which include problems to practice your analytical skills that are not part of video lectures. There are no exams. GRADING POLICY Each question is worth 1 point. A correct answer is worth +1 point. An incorrect answer is worth 0 points. There is no partial credit. You can attempt each quiz up to three times every 8 hours, with an unlimited number of total attempts. The number of questions that need to be answered correctly to pass are displayed at the beginning of each quiz. Following the Mastery Learning model, students must pass all 8 practice quizzes with a score of 80% or higher in order to complete the course. ESTIMATED WORKLOAD If you follow the suggested deadlines, lectures and quizzes will each take approximately ~3 hours per week each, for a total of ~6 hours per week. TARGET AUDIENCE Basic undergraduate engineering or science student. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - What are the prerequisites for taking this course? An introductory background (high school or first year college level) in chemistry, physics, and calculus will help you be successful in this class. -What will this class prepare me for in the academic world? Thermodynamics is a prerequisite for many follow-on courses, like heat transfer, internal combustion engines, propulsion, and gas dynamics, to name a few. -What will this class prepare me for in the real world? Energy is one of the top challenges we face as a global society. Energy demands are deeply tied to the other major challenges of clean water, health, food resources, and poverty. Understanding how energy systems work is key to understanding how to meet all these needs around the world. Because energy demands are only increasing, this course also provides the foundation for many rewarding professional careers....

MJ
Jul 23, 2019

Great course. But I was also hoping to get an in-depth analytical understanding of the second law of thermodynamics and the zeroth law as well. But I really enjoyed it and definitely learned a lot.

YI
May 7, 2020

Margaret mam has done excellent job. Nicely designed the contents and videos were really helpful to solve the questions in the assignments.Thanks to mam. and Please Add course on Heat Transfer.

76 - 100 of 520 Reviews for Introduction to Thermodynamics: Transferring Energy from Here to There

By SRI B T M

Feb 7, 2020

Good and valuable course that all should know basically and this helps us to improve our knowledge and make us to do research i the field of thermal.

By SANCHITA T

Feb 13, 2019

Dear Team, Thanks for the online training course.

This course is very useful for my current role.

Thermodynamics is a very Interesting topic for me.

By MANOJ K S

May 16, 2020

I recommend this course for all undergraduates pursuing mechanical engineering. Theoretical guide with application in real-world all in a package.

By Paras K

May 25, 2019

Particularly liked the Problem solving assignments, the lab tour at the end, and of course the excellent teaching skills of Professor Wooldridge.

By Emmitt D H

Jul 25, 2019

Extremely educational as well as flexible with its demands for time. I highly recommend this complicated course to be taken through this vessel.

By Sourabh Y

May 17, 2019

Awesome Course content and delivery. Really a good way to start with basics of thermodynamics and energy. Thanks for the Financial aid Coursera!

By Rishikesh G R

Jun 17, 2017

Great course. Amazing material. Covers the fundamentals and the applications as well. A pragmatic approach is taken too which is rather helpful.

By kotakondamaheshkumar

Jan 24, 2017

I started learning courses from online this is so use full to me.I also recommended my friends to learn online.THANKS FOR PROVIDING THIS COURSE.

By Syed A A

May 23, 2020

It was very helpful and well explained course. The information was very precious and the teacher Miss Margaret Wooldridge taught very well.

By Yaknesh S

Dec 22, 2017

This course really gave a good idea of the basic thermodynamics and tutor is really took good measure in brining the subject to the viewer.

By Amrutha c

Best lecture i ever had in thermodynamics, also the basics are introduced and explained in easily understandable form.thank you professor

By Christos M

Oct 16, 2016

I very well structured and interesting course, with simple and easy understandable learning methods for the principles of Thermodynamics!

By Dwayne P C C

Nov 2, 2020

The lessons were explained clearly and are intuitive to the learner. This course gives a solid foundation in engineering thermodynamics.

By Nichole A N B

Oct 21, 2020

This helped me a lot because it is my requirement in my chemistry course. Ms. Margaret is a good professor and I learned a lot from her.

By Ankit S

This course had alot of unnecessary discussion about fuel consumption which I think is not needed here.

This wanted almost 80% of week 8.

By J. A J

Oct 15, 2019

Helped in understanding the basics of thermodynamics,gives a clear picture about the fundamentals .

teaching style is very impressive.

By CarJ.

Aug 18, 2020

Nice course. Clear concepts to learn the fundamental concepts of thermodynamics. Should go in-depth with steam tables for analysis.

By SACHIN K K

Nov 27, 2019

One of the best course to learn thermodynamics. but there are so much more in thermodynamics which has to be covered for beginners.

By R R R

May 6, 2020

All the lectures delivered by the faculty are nice, it would be better to provide more practical examples related to thermal field

By Sathvik V

Jan 18, 2018

Very interesting course. I understood much about thermodynamics. Thanks to Professor Margaret Wooldridge for this amazing course.

By Chandrakant G

The course was good and helpful, I also like to appreciate Dr. Margaret for her work and and willing to attend more course.

By Anju G

Aug 19, 2020

Very good for starters that want to learn the basic of thermodynamics especially for mechanical engineering undergraduate.

By Sayli G

Jul 23, 2020

Loved it. Didn't talk much about entropy but still, amazing because i am a beginner here. Really strengthened my concepts.

By Mansoor A

Jul 18, 2017

Though I have not yet competed all the lectures, but I am impressed with the level of effort put in this course. Thank you

By RITU B

Jan 31, 2019

Thank you for the training course. this course is very interested and my favorite topic, also useful for my current job.