Back to Paleontology: Theropod Dinosaurs and the Origin of Birds

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Paleontology: Theropod Dinosaurs and the Origin of Birds by University of Alberta

Paleontology: Theropod Dinosaurs and the Origin of Birds is a five-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of the origins of birds. This course examines the anatomy, diversity, and evolution of theropod dinosaurs in relation to the origin of birds. Students explore various hypotheses for the origin of flight. Watch a preview of the course here: https://uofa.ualberta.ca/courses/paleontology-theropod-dinosaurs...

MC

Mar 14, 2018

This course was great! It explains everything clearly, and it keeps you involved by asking questions about the material, and keeps you amused with some interesting anecdotes. Highly suggested by me!

CH

Jan 6, 2021

I loved taking this course. I learned a lot (The first course I did was DINO 101 and I wanted to dig deeper). The teachers are really passionate and engaging. Cannot wait to do the others courses!

76 - 100 of 410 Reviews for Paleontology: Theropod Dinosaurs and the Origin of Birds

By Diana J R F

Aug 5, 2021

Un curso muy interesante, con datos claros y fácil de entender para los principiantes en el tema. Didáctico y con profesores muy carismáticos que te mantienen interesado en el curso. El material de apoyo es increíble y muy útil para entender y aprender.

By Rudram B

The Paleontology MOOCs organised by the University Of Alberta are exceptionally well organised and very informative. The instructors are excellent, and taking this course has further inspired me to look at Paleontology as a career option in the future.

By Alison Z

May 3, 2020

This class has been one of the best I've taken. It is highly informative and interesting. I honestly wish it was longer. Thank you for providing this course, I've already started sharing what I've learned and telling my friends they should take this!

By S. D

Sep 3, 2016

The University of Alberta has done an excellent job with this whole series of paleontology courses. The interactives are well designed, and the lectures and quizzes are interesting and memorable. I'm a fan and am looking forward to learning more!

By Jennifer C

Nov 27, 2016

A well executed course presented with light and entertaining style. Comprehensive for a Five week course and suited to a diverse student base. Enjoyable and I shall review the content frequently. I look forward to future UA paleontology courses.

By Bartolomeo A R

Apr 14, 2020

I'm glad for attending this course. I thank you alll for the clear exposition and the passion showed. I am deeply satisfied and happy to have followed these lessons. I'd say that quizzes are easy, but i think it is okay for this format. Thankyou

By Rhiannon B

Apr 14, 2018

This is the first course I've ever done on coursera and it was amazing!! It was very informative, I love the way they add the questions into the videos.

I recommend this course to anyone wanting to learn more about birds and their evolution. :)

By saad e

Jun 24, 2016

The most informative biology course I've ever took. The course is well-structured, interesting, and covers all the important points. The course is directed toward non-professionals, anyone can take it, even if you know nothing about the topic.

By Alice B

Apr 28, 2021

Very interesting and gave a very detailed insight into the evolution of Theropod dinosaurs and how these then evolved into birds. If you have already taken the Dinosaur 101 course, I would certainly recommend this as an excellent follow up.

By Sabarni S

It is a great course for people interested in paleontology and ornithology. Personally, I am obsessed with birds and dinosaurs. I have learned a lot from this course regarding the evolution of birds. Such an wonderful course of history!

By Rose S

Oct 16, 2017

I am a life-long lover of dinosaurs. While I typically tinker with classes more tailored towards my career goals I couldn't help but sneak a peek at this course and it is well worth the time if you are a dinosaur enthusiast like myself!

By Garret K

May 10, 2016

Awesome course! Loved the Dino 101 class and I was excited to see this in depth look at theropods. Tons of great information; excellent enthusiastic instructor; and useful notes. I hope to see more in the future, keep up the great work!

By Larry L E

Aug 22, 2017

Dr. Persons is a superb teacher and the material is fascinating. I am a somewhat experienced birder, so this was particularly interesting. Prior completion of the Dino-101 Coursera course was helpful but probably not a requirement.

By Timi A

May 25, 2018

Great short course, perfect for an introduction to Theropod dinosaurs and interesting to see the link between them and birds. I recommend taking the other Palaeontology courses by this university on this site if you haven't already.

By Zuorui L

Jul 27, 2017

A really helpful course to get to know the world of birds, and it helps to get clear the classification and evolution path of theropods. The anatomy of birds is recommended as the fundamental knowledge to study before this subject.

By Steve T

Mar 15, 2016

I've been a bird watcher for a few decades, and this course was right up my alley. I don't remember all the names---actually few of them---of all the precursors to birds, but it was a fascinating trip through very ancient history.

By Anne D

Aug 16, 2017

It was a very interesting course for us and we enjoyed the way it was presented as well. Thank you for doing such a great job!

For the family tree in week 3 it would have been nice to have a hint or two to complete it correctly.

By Cindy R

May 29, 2016

Excellent course although can be confusing and difficult to keep track of where you are in the evolutionary chain. Especially good followup to Dino 101. I will definitely take other courses. Excellent lecturers and lectures!

By William V

Apr 25, 2020

This course is interesting and exciting for everyone that loves birds and animals, generally speaking, because the things that everybody learns here are important for understanding all the why and how of birds and evolution.

By Joaquín I C C

Jan 19, 2019

Demasiado bueno y muy informativo, y con la facilidad de que todos los vídeos están subtitulados ayuda mucho a la comprensión de la información. Se lo recomiendo a todos los amantes de los terópodos y dinosaurios en general.

By timothy j o

Jun 9, 2016

This was a great introductory class and I learned a lot. The instructor was great seemed personable, interesting and very into the subject matter. I learned I haven't been pronouncing anything correctly after all these years

By Melinda W

Aug 19, 2017

Paleontology courses from The University of Alberta have always been excellent. This one is no different.

My only quibble is that the video quizzes tend to ask questions about concepts before the information is presented.

By Janiel F

May 2, 2020

It is one of the best classes i' ve had the pleasure to take. The material is very interesting, the pictures are very well drawn, the quizzes are very well made, and the teachers seem to like what they're talking about.

By Wendy L

Jul 27, 2017

For a very complex subject, this was a thoroughly enjoyable and easily understandable course. I appreciate the easy to follow commentary plus the more detailed class notes for reference and followup. Excellent course!

By Juan A P A

Oct 31, 2020

Again, this courses of paleontology given by the University of Alberta are awesome. The instructor is so funny and the topics are really interesting. This course was really useful for a class I'm taking in college.