Back to Transformation of the Global Food System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transformation of the Global Food System by University of Copenhagen

The UN predicts we will be 9-10 billion people on Earth in 2050. Providing so many people with nutritious foods is a massive challenge and one that cannot be met by simply upscaling current practices regarding food production and consumption. Providing humanity with nutritional food is at the center of all decisions related to sustainable development. Agriculture is responsible for 80% of global deforestation. The food systems release 29% of global greenhouse gasses. We use an area equivalent to North and South America combined for the production of meat for consumption or to produce the food necessary to feed the animals we eat. 70% of fresh water use is related to agriculture. These figures are staggering, and they show us, that we need to rethink and transform the way we produce, distribute and consume food worldwide. This course focuses on how food systems can become more sustainable. It consists of four modules where each focuses on an essential ingredient towards developing more sustainable food systems: (1) Boosting the small, (2) Transforming the big, (3) Losing less and (4) Eating smarter. In each of these key areas, we will meet people from different countries around the world, who labor every day to find and spread solutions that work. Connecting the challenges that must be overcome to develop a sustainable global food system with the solutions being developed by the amazing group of people you meet in this course has been a huge source of inspiration for me. I truly believe that the global food system can be transformed to sustainably meet the needs of 9-10 billion people and, with this course, I dare you to join me!...

RW

Oct 29, 2020

This was a fantastic course and along with the other course in the sustainable development goals has only highlighted my interest in continuing this on after my masters research into a PhD. Thank you!

HM

Jul 11, 2022

Thank you for giving me very production time and valuable information on transformation of global food system. I understand better now what is my role in this challenging, but possible process.

26 - 50 of 206 Reviews for Transformation of the Global Food System

By Fortune M

Aug 20, 2020

It was an eye opener on how to stop degrading the earth and start focusing on proper use of resources without damaging the earth. I am highly honored to participate in this course I learnt a lot of stuff which i am going to use in my everyday life indeed i have been transformed.

By Belén C

Feb 10, 2021

This course has been a great opportunity to approach the current state of the art in terms of sustainable food systems. The way the modules are organised and the research, scientific papers and cases shown are perfectly picked. It has been very interesting and open-minding.

By Josip K

Feb 10, 2021

This is a very good course, I learned a lot of new information and got a new perspective on the world around me and a way to improve my quality of life, improve eating habits and how to help improve the world and the sustainability of life on Earth in which I participate

By Francis D M

Aug 10, 2020

Extremely well organized and presented. Thoughtful and thought-provoking. An important subject for which all individuals should have some basic understanding. I feel I have a much better comprehension of this topic. One of the best done online courses that I have taken.

By Mario C

Jul 11, 2021

T​he content of this course was an eye-opener for me. It drove home the urgency of transforming our global food systems, while providing a strong sense of optimism for the possibility of making the required changes to sustainably feed 10 billion people by 2050.

By Mary

Apr 13, 2021

This was an excellent course. I especially liked the final module. It was very informative and inspiring. I would recommend only to balance the message of Module 4 by spending more time on the value of Green proteins and less on insects. Thank you so much.

By Nils I

Aug 13, 2020

Very interesting course, providing an overview of the complexities of the food systems and the required paradigm shift to transform them, to make them more sustainable. The quiz section could have been more challenging, nevertheless, a great course!!

By Vandana T

Jul 22, 2021

This course provides a very good introduction into the global food systems and provides learning material for enabling stakeholders to take concrete actions to reduce GHG emissions, while keeping an eye on the nine planetary boundaries.

By adelbert e

Jun 21, 2022

Great learning opportunity. There are modules in the course in which I was not able to access the references. Otherwise, the course is excellent. I hope our new Secretary of Agriculture of the Philippines will attend this course.

By Merlyn C

Jun 4, 2022

The course is very useful with what weare currently faced with and it gives insights on how we can rethink for the better and still achieve our goal to eradicate hunger and malnutrition on our coninents. It is very practical.

By Dora B

Aug 26, 2020

This is a well structured course which provides a great overview of the challenges and emerging solutions for the global food system. I found the Danish/Scandinavian and Nigerian company case studies particularly interesting.

By Lucía T

Jan 16, 2021

Excelente pero habría que considerar la importancia de los océanos, que son la cloaca del mundo , y son la clave de la vida en el planeta así también que toda la información brindada esté al alcance de todos. Muchas gracias

By Douglas H

Mar 2, 2021

The course presented a good overview of the problems facing the Global Food System and presented some interesting feasible options to work toward a more sustainable system that can feed the increasing world population.

By Vasiliki K

Dec 18, 2020

An amazing course. I haven't considered all these before in this dimension. For me, it was mind-blowing and broadened my horizon to a new field. So informative and well-made videos. Amazing! Excellent job! Well done!

By Aileen B

Sep 5, 2020

Really enjoyed this course - informative and great information. How do we make it happen is the challenge I guess. Also some of the data was from 2010 - is there a way to see if more updated information available.

By Margaret B

Sep 21, 2020

An extremely well designed course. It has given me a greater understanding of the global impacts of food production & distribution, particularly the ways that regular people can help make a positive difference.

By Leslie M

Oct 25, 2020

The course taught me a lot about how simple or small actions especially in the agricultural sector have a huge impact on sustainability. This is a great course for everyone as it affects the entire planet.

By Sachin S

Jun 19, 2020

Excellent course. In the era of sustainable development and the future goals, where 800 million people have no access to food, this course stands as a practical solution to the problem. Thank you mentors.

By Vijaishree S

Aug 26, 2020

It has been a wonderful experience to get to know the future trends in Agriculture.Thank you Dr.Richardson for the exposure you and your team provided to make this field a successful and sustainable one

By Nina L

Dec 2, 2020

This course gave me a good insight in the agri-food industry sector and what is needed in the coming years mainly to decrease the environmental impacts but also touching upon other sustainable matters.

By Rachael W

Oct 30, 2020

By JOSÉ F D O S

Dec 3, 2021

Muito obrigado pelo curso. O curso trouxe várias informações importantes de como os seres humanos devem se comportar em relação às mudanças nos hábitos alimentares e na harmonia com o meio ambiente.

By HninThidar M

Jul 12, 2022

By Kwadwo A K

Jan 4, 2022

This course has enlightened me about the global food system and how we all as individuals can help to improve and produce sustainable and resilient food systems that can withstand any shock.