Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

SK

Jun 05, 2020

Loved that the main typeface study was carried out throughout this course. Loved beginning with the writing assignment and then evolving into a full on typographic poster. Very fun and informative

JC

Jul 29, 2018

226 - 250 of 729 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Blanca J S

Aug 08, 2016

Great course! A little basic for those who already know a little about design but I enjoyed it a lot.

By Amber M

Jun 23, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, I gained a deeper understanding of typography and its place in design.

By Emilio R

Aug 18, 2018

Very well explained lessons on Typography with assigments that improve your understanding. Thank you

By Nathalie A

Jul 21, 2020

It was really helpful. Everything was clear and it really made it easier than how it is. Thank you!

By Jefferson O S

The concepts are well explained and the methodology encourages you to explore more than the basics.

By Dana R S

Oct 16, 2017

Recommended for beginners and self-taught typographers. Good explanation on basics and foundations.

By Wei-Ru L

Sep 05, 2016

Detailed knowledges of typography. It's also very practical for applying to any kind of design job.

By Aura M C

Apr 21, 2019

I absolutelly LOVED this course! I can't stop looking at letterforms after taking it. Gorgeous! :)

By Jonathan T

Jul 27, 2020

Very informational and easy to understand. Challenging assignments. Fun ways to leaen the basics.

By SOUQUET A

Mar 20, 2020

Clear, effective, interesting ! Everything of this course is good and well presented. Thank you !

By Olli V

Jan 18, 2018

Very well-designed and constructed course. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the topic!

By Gennifer B

Jul 27, 2020

I learned a lot from this course! The lectures were easy to follow and I loved every assignment!

By Sian-Louise N

Feb 26, 2019

this was extremely helpful. I had no idea how much I could learn from this course on Typography.

By Angela O

Sep 25, 2018

I liked this course. Very straightforward and had useful assignments that built on each other.

By Rama B

Aug 08, 2016

Loved it. Great content. Userful assignments. Most importantly, kept it interesting. Thank you.

By Assel N

Jul 12, 2016

This course is very informative and interesting! I will definitely recommend it to my friends.

By Jia M

This course gives me a deeper understanding of Typography and better use fonts in the poster.

By Ahsan A

Oct 05, 2018

Perfectly Covered the content. I'll definitely enroll in another course by CALARTS. Loved it!

By Anusha

Oct 15, 2017

I literally love this subject. It has given me a lot a of information from basic to advanced.

By Lynn K

Jan 25, 2017

This course is good to understand basic typography. Teacher had detail and good explanations.

By Mingtao W

May 16, 2019

Very good intro class. Learned a lot of practical skills when applying typography to design.

By Fernando G M

This course gave a good perspective to what it takes to shape a text by manipulating types.

By Julie L

Aug 05, 2016

Very interesting, you have to always push your limit and experiment to benefit this course!

By Efren A

Jan 24, 2019

Amazing course! Very well explained, full of useful information and nice to do. Thank you!

By Alice B

Mar 16, 2020

Extremely engaging, very informative, and creative assignments! I thoroughly enjoyed it.