Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

SZ
Aug 27, 2020

i really enjoyed this course and i liked the part where we interact with other artists around the world. i learned a lot about typography and i think it'm ready to continue in my journey with art.

251 - 275 of 900 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By christy p

Jun 23, 2016

I really loved this course. I learned more than I ever expected and more than any school I paid double for could teach me!

By Claveau

Feb 1, 2017

My best of the 4th courses on Conception Garphic (impossible to register to the last courses which is Brand New Brand...)

By Jordan L P

Aug 9, 2020

It's absolutely lesson-filled and provides new yet intuitive techniques in using typefaces for design styles and themes.

By Claudia M L T C

Sep 19, 2020

A good way to learn about typefaces, their parts and how important it is to considerate text even for paraghaphs. Nice!

By Mariana L S

May 15, 2020

Great complementation of the first course. You really learn new skill who help you to create better typographic designs

By SaSha D

May 2, 2019

Amazing! Super helpful! I learned history, terms, helped me with my college courses, and built onto my portfolio. LOVE!

By Tevah P

Apr 14, 2018

The scaffolding of the assignments was really elegant and this class presented a lot of information in engaging videos.

By Мартин М

Mar 20, 2020

It was really great part of course, which gave me a lot of new knowledge. What i like the most - practical cases yeah!

By Justyna B

May 6, 2019

I absolutely enjoyed this course! Especially the little projects - I could actually see my progress. Really recommend.

By Muhammad T

May 3, 2016

Excellent course, I recommend this course to all learners, who want to get introduced with Typography and Typesetting.

By Fides M

Aug 23, 2020

Learned so much about the power of typography! Lectures were clear, projects were fun to do especially the final one.

By Tarik M

Mar 10, 2020

I learned a lot from this course, especially how to see typography in various uses, and how to use it professionally.

By Samara K

Aug 30, 2019

This course was a great introduction for me into typography. I really grew to love typography and all its elements!

By Juachi O

Sep 21, 2017

Really enjoyed this course. Helped me to really examine my typography choices instead of always working intuitively

By Rudi W

Nov 20, 2020

great! a simple and clear introduction with nice assignments, gives me enough of a base to experiment and practice

By Douaa h

Jul 7, 2020

I recommend this course to anyone who wants to enriched their design skills,

it was very much informative, and fun.

By Neveen F

Jan 5, 2020

I loved it, I learned a lot about typefaces, the way this course was designed is impressive, thank you very much!

By Michael D

Mar 21, 2016

Lectures are great - very informative and interesting. I appreciate the work that went in to creating the course!

By mandy B e

Sep 4, 2020

i learn a lot in this class . this is the easy class i took , love it

learn about art and i love doing art class

By Sarah K

Apr 7, 2019

Very interesting theory. Good balance between knowledge (quizzes) and practice (assignments) to ensure learning.

By Barbara C d S

Very good! For me it was a great opportunity to learn more about typography and how to use it, in so many ways.

By Camila R

Jan 25, 2019

Excellent course, highly recommended! It provides a lot of useful concepts. You will love typography after it.

By Patrycja

Dec 9, 2020

Great course. I learnt a lot. I loved the assignments that help to improve the skills as designer. Wonderful.

By Emmanuel L

Apr 16, 2020

I love this course! I've learned a lot about Typography and I'll stick to the material provided here. Thanks!

By Patricia M C

May 15, 2017

Maravilloso a pesar no manejarme en el mismo idioma puede aprender bastante con algo más de tiempo y esfuerzo