Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG

Aug 04, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

JC

Jul 29, 2018

Loved that the main typeface study was carried out throughout this course. Loved beginning with the writing assignment and then evolving into a full on typographic poster. Very fun and informative

501 - 525 of 795 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Dulce A

Apr 07, 2016

I enjoyed the course, too much

By Rolando A

Aug 28, 2020

Very nice and complete course

By Liniya E S

May 01, 2020

Very helpful and interesting!

By Mouhannad A

Jun 10, 2019

It was a good and fun course,

By Nichole B

May 06, 2019

Very good and helpful course.

By Anand V

Jun 28, 2018

helped me to learn typography

By Giorgio Z

Oct 30, 2016

I loved the course! Thank you

By Kenneth D

Aug 10, 2020

Very useful and informative,

By Neil H

Very enjoyable introduction.

By LU F

Apr 02, 2019

I enjoyed this course a lot!

By xi c

Oct 25, 2017

very basic but covered a lot

By Ludmila S

Aug 28, 2017

Love it! Highly recommended!

By Guo Y

May 03, 2017

favorite one of this series!

By Estefanía

Apr 21, 2016

Gracias, me encantó el curso

By Drew B

Feb 05, 2018

Very Clear and interesting.

By Kristian J L D R

Mar 19, 2017

I Really Enjoyed the course

By Ruping M

Nov 14, 2016

Great theory and practices.

By Ineke v E

Jun 12, 2016

Good course! Learned a lot.

By Голик Д Р

Jun 20, 2020

Amazing, thank you so much

By Karine G

Aug 17, 2019

This course is a treasure!

By Ignacio R G

Nov 06, 2017

Good basics for beginners.

By Pedro M P R

Jul 14, 2016

Great course! Recommended!

By Evangelia B

Jun 10, 2016

I really loved tis course.

By Md H H

May 15, 2020

Fantastic Course Syllebus

By VIVIANE B

Oct 02, 2019

I really love this course