Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

176 - 200 of 972 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Brianna P

Apr 6, 2016

This class gave a great introduction to Typography! The instructor did a great job at bringing Typography to life. The content of the course was very approachable.

By Sonia G

Mar 26, 2021

Very simple and very practical! It took less than I thought, but I learned a lot about the uses of typography. I will never see Gill Sans in the same way though.

By SHAFIA N

Jul 31, 2020

Its amazing!

In this cours i read about typefaces and create logo.

I don't know! What is topography?

But when I read about it ,then I am understand topography .

By Zackary A K

Jul 5, 2017

This was a very enjoyable introduction to Typography. The more I study typography, the more I am able to appreciate the high quality of this brief introduction.

By Raissa M d S

Mar 9, 2021

The course is very well organized and explained, promoting a better learning experience. I really enjoyed it and I'm telling to my friends to inscribe on it (:

By Muhammad T

Feb 19, 2021

The course was very informative. A graphic designer needs to learn the basics of typography and this course can improve your skills in the field of typography.

By Giovanny V

Sep 15, 2019

clear, concise information delivered on every lecture... I really enjoyed the assignments they got me out of my comfort zone and challenged me to experiment...

By Kristen B

May 24, 2018

I absolutely loved this class! The teacher is so thorough and the assignments make implementing what I learned so much better. Everyone should take this class!

By Sanskruti M

Apr 18, 2016

Great intro to typography. I enjoyed it and feel more confident in understanding basic typography and now know where I can find information on type! Thank You

By Stephen M H

Aug 8, 2020

Anther Kiley provided a very concise, yet detailed, history of typography that kept my attention, hitting upon many of the big events in typographic history.

By Ginger H

Mar 23, 2016

I have been working with Typography for the last 10 years and still learned a lot from this course. Very informative and will be useful in the years to come.

By Maria F

Jul 20, 2020

An awesome introduction to working with typography. Learning the basic rules, history and putting it into practice has really helped my overall design look!

By Konstantinos A

May 29, 2019

Great Course I learned so many things! In fact I do not hink that I would be able to set up my design master Thesis if not for this course 💪🏻☝🏻 great job

By Saeed A

Dec 18, 2020

This course is the best course in typography, it gives you a good insight about the typography starting from its history all the way to the best practices.

By Kushal S

Feb 11, 2018

A must course for anyone who wants to start using fonts/typefaces wisely. The course content is very well curated - covering all the basics of typography.

By Zulhaj R

Sep 21, 2020

The course give many insight about designing related to the typefaces; selecting different typefaces and its impact, modifying its properties, and so on.

By Malak M

Jun 18, 2020

I loved this course and it will for sure help me with my further education and help me identify any sort of typefaces and their uses in different places.

By Saba A

Jul 10, 2020

really loved this course. it made me realize how just mere curves or thinning the lines could make a whole lot of difference to the way your text looks.

By Magdalena P

Jun 14, 2019

This course is very interesting. Includes both theory and practice and changes your mind about things you thought you already knew regarding typography.

By MD. Z H

Jul 25, 2020

I like how the videos were created. I like the teachers speaking style. Also it was a fun course indeed. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the course

By Franklin C O

Jan 7, 2019

I have learned how important the connotative part is typography, I have learned to express feeling by the Type. This course has been very useful for me

By Bonnie K

Feb 9, 2018

This was such a fantastic class. I learned A LOT and definitely was my weakest area. I feel much more confident now as I continue to learn. Thank you!!

By Junsong L

Apr 10, 2016

I think the most important thing of an online course is to arouse the curiosity so I can continue my exploration on the topic. This course has made it.

By Harika s .

Sep 3, 2020

I had a great learning experience, thanks to the friendly instructors. And appreciate the course structure and not to forget, interesting assignments.