Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

LS
Apr 6, 2016

Very organized and detailed about the basic, history, characteristics of typography.\n\nI really enjoyed it and wish there were other courses by the same lecturer.\n\nThanks for the great course!!

201 - 225 of 839 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Fergus N

May 30, 2016

This was an excellent course with a thoughtful look at typography that achieves a decent breadth of coverage in the short timeframe.

By Alice C

Apr 7, 2016

I learned a lot about typography and I find it very instructional for someone in the beginning. Thank you CalArts and Coursera team!

By Pavla V

Jun 23, 2020

I learned a lot about typography. The length of this course is just right. I like the videos which were very informative and short.

By José R S L

Sep 27, 2016

Fun and enjoyable. It has also helped me a lot at work. If you work in Marketing, Advertising and/or Design you'll love this course

By Xiomara C

Apr 28, 2016

I love this course. I learn a lot about typefaces, I used to picked the type just because they look pretty... so wrong with that!!!

By Olena T

Apr 4, 2016

It's very interesting fun and useful course. Every lecture is interesting, every minute! Thanks for your work and perfect lectures!

By Lucas B V

Aug 18, 2020

Adorei o curso! Muito bom para aprender coisas novas. Ele é bem organizado e tem também uma boa dose de desafio. Recomendo muito!

By Julia G

Mar 28, 2019

I think this is my favorite course in this specialization, I actually learned a lot about making my written text legible, thanks!

By Bongiwe M M

Jun 29, 2020

Excellent course if you want to learn more about typography, now I know what I didn't know before. Thanks to cousera and CALARTS

By Ramesh I

Jun 12, 2020

very informative and good basics. Must do this course and get a good historical grounding if you are keen on a career in design

By MD. T R

Jun 5, 2020

This course will help you to know in-depth about typeface and its use. After completing assignments I felt I grew as a designer.

By Monique D

Jan 10, 2017

Rich information about the main aspects of Typography for those who don't know where to start. It was a great experience for me.

By DILEEP K B

Feb 18, 2020

Amazing experience and skills I learned, not only how to do typography but also I learned How to see the letters in the world.

By Lisa A C

Oct 9, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed this. I won't look at type the same way again. Thanks to all those involved in making this course happen (:

By Fred R

Feb 19, 2017

I loved the course and learnt a lot. Spending one month working on the same font is a great way to learn to see it and use it.

By Tomelilla G

Mar 4, 2020

A fantastic course to give you the basics of typographic theory as well as practical skills for creating great type and text.

By Salem F A

Sep 22, 2019

This is helpful course to learn typography and different typefaces, and know what's the best typeface for your design to use.

By Benjamin H

Oct 5, 2017

Very clear and create video lessons. Examples shown were inspiring and I learned so much that I didn't know about typography.

By Eugen M

Aug 20, 2016

Perfect presentation.

Full of information, but, being excellent exposed, it's relatively easy to understand.

Excellent course!

By Wai Y M

Jul 21, 2020

This is a good course for those who like to improve typographic skill and for the one who wants to dive into graphic design.

By Yuliya S

Oct 27, 2019

It was interesting and informative for me. I like the presentation of the material - everything is clear and understandable.

By Daniela C V

Sep 8, 2019

Really great course! It explores the basics of typography while challenging the learners to practice the acquired knowledge.

By Andrés C M

Apr 29, 2018

One of the best decisions I've taken was to sign up for this course. If you are interested in graphic design, thi is a must!

By Miroshnikova I

Oct 30, 2017

Thank you for this awesome course! I am starting to understand now how typefaces work and what each of them is designed for!

By Mahitab H A E

Nov 15, 2020

It was a real great and helpful course to get an overveiw about typography and how to use theoritical points in your design