Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

301 - 325 of 972 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Monique P P

May 23, 2016

Interesting course! I learned a lot from this course and from my peers. Thank you so much for offering it.

By saurabh g

May 14, 2016

I loved this course. Everything is explained really well and the assignments are pretty good too. 5 stars!

By Shibu P

Apr 16, 2019

An informative course which makes you aware of a bundle of essential knowledge about typefaces and fonts.

By Anahita J

Mar 15, 2021

thanks a lot for this amazing course.....was an honor for me to be a learner in this informative course.

By AR1023 P

Jul 16, 2020

This course is well formed and easy to understand. Very helpful in expanding knowledge about typography.

By Ola A A

I really love the way the course being represented, it was fun and informative, I enjoyed it so much💕💕

By Amanda J V

Oct 17, 2016

This was a fun introduction to typography. I really enjoyed the assignments and the informative lessons.

By Jorge R O T

Aug 17, 2020

very complete i really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to incorporate typography into my future work

By Keisuke F

Dec 19, 2019

Very good course. I've learned about typography a lot.

I tried making some logs and customers like them.

By Tigran G

Oct 23, 2017

I enter the world of typography, typeface, fonts, greeds, expressive posters and etc. It was realy cool

By Rumana

Oct 8, 2017

Typography and grammar came together, win-win! Guess what my favourite subject is now? Its Typography.

By Tanjim T J

Nov 29, 2016

It was a great experience.I have learnt many important and useful things.Thanks to coursera and CalArt

By Courtney A

Apr 4, 2016

Very informative and a lot of fun to learn about! I also thought the assignments were very beneficial.

By Blanca J S

Aug 8, 2016

Great course! A little basic for those who already know a little about design but I enjoyed it a lot.

By Amber M

Jun 23, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, I gained a deeper understanding of typography and its place in design.

By Emilio R

Aug 18, 2018

Very well explained lessons on Typography with assigments that improve your understanding. Thank you

By Sanjana B

Nov 8, 2020

This course was really informative and interesting. I genuinely enjoyed completing the assignments.

By Nathalie A

Jul 21, 2020

It was really helpful. Everything was clear and it really made it easier than how it is. Thank you!

By Jefferson O S

The concepts are well explained and the methodology encourages you to explore more than the basics.

By Dana R S

Oct 16, 2017

Recommended for beginners and self-taught typographers. Good explanation on basics and foundations.

By Wei-Ru L

Sep 5, 2016

Detailed knowledges of typography. It's also very practical for applying to any kind of design job.

By Nicos D

Apr 29, 2021

I was a bit skeptic, but this course is packed with essential knowledge germane to graphic design.

By Rodrigo B

Aug 17, 2020

Is a great course! I learned important things here, and is a good way to start to work with types.

By Rubén A

Aug 15, 2020

I think its great I really improve mi knowledge about typography and its application to my carreer

By Aura M C

Apr 21, 2019

I absolutelly LOVED this course! I can't stop looking at letterforms after taking it. Gorgeous! :)