Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

401 - 425 of 1,005 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Sandhya S

Jun 1, 2020

This was an interesting course and I have gained a new perspective on typography.

By SUVRA D

Feb 5, 2020

The course is really exciting and fun. I got to learn many new things. Thank you!

By Balaji A

Mar 19, 2018

Lots of interesting insights about the typo and the excerises we really engaging.

By Francesca S

Jan 22, 2018

It was a great opportunity to learn the basics of typography. I truly enjoyed it!

By Govindarajan S

Jun 27, 2016

Excellent coverage. The assignments are good and the quality of the video is gret

By Thamonwan L

May 1, 2020

This course is very organized an useful. Videos are well-made and very detailed.

By Valentina S

Aug 3, 2019

Great start in typography and very useful practical assignment. Highly recommend

By Allison W

Jan 14, 2019

This was a thoroughly enjoyable course. I wish there was another followup to it!

By Marta D C A

Jan 18, 2018

beautifuly taught, perfect introduction and instruction. Do highly recommend it.

By Muhammad A Y

Dec 27, 2017

i really thankful to coursera . and learn most important skill about typography.

By Cristina L F

Dec 11, 2017

Easy way in understanding type and getting extra insights on typographic design.

By Keith W

Jun 8, 2016

I work with type regularly for my job, and I still learned a lot in this course.

By Daniel C

Apr 17, 2016

I learned a lot, despite my initial disinterest in this field of graphic design.

By Volodymyr S

Jan 24, 2021

Wonderful course, I have learned a lot and assignments were really interesting.

By Agnes K

Oct 23, 2020

Interesting, informative, and engaging class. Excellent instructor! Thank you!

By Samuele R

Aug 9, 2017

Very interesting course, I liked it so much and enjoyed making the assignments.

By Ellis W

Feb 19, 2017

Very cool, simple course. I had no idea that fonts could be so interesting. :)

By Kaif T

Aug 27, 2020

I loved it just like i loved the previous one "fundamentals of graphic design"

By Alvaro C H

Aug 17, 2020

¡Excelente curso, vital para quienes se inician en el ámbito de la tipografía!

By Yudi Y S

Apr 15, 2020

This course is very amazing! Very easy to learn and I love typography so much!

By Manash G

Jan 4, 2017

I have learned a lot from the typography lessons, I recommend to all designers

By Hema K

May 22, 2021

A very good course for beginners. Assignments and projects are well designed.

By Md F B

Jun 4, 2020

It's more helpful and beneficial for student who want to learn these courses.

By Urs-Jakob R

Mar 30, 2020

Short and to the point, including time-honored rules and not lacking context.

By Ekaterina I

Aug 15, 2018

Great course! Quite easy, but I've learnt a lot. Also it is very informative.