Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

LS
Apr 6, 2016

Very organized and detailed about the basic, history, characteristics of typography.\n\nI really enjoyed it and wish there were other courses by the same lecturer.\n\nThanks for the great course!!

101 - 125 of 839 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Diana-Mihaela S

Aug 12, 2016

I highly recommend this course! Before taking it, typography was some sort of mystical art, now everything is crystal clear. Concise and to the point, the course allows you to gain essential knowledge.

By Mariana B B

Jul 26, 2020

The course is very interesting and well presented, the assignments are really helpful for the learning process. I would recommend to anyone interested in design, art, web design or just for curiosity.

By Sarah Z

Aug 28, 2020

i really enjoyed this course and i liked the part where we interact with other artists around the world. i learned a lot about typography and i think it'm ready to continue in my journey with art.

By Lidia B

Apr 8, 2016

Plenty of information on various aspects of typography presented in detail and in a comrehensive manner, as well as engaging exercises really boost your knowledge and broaden your design horizons!

By Hongjoo Y

Aug 23, 2016

This course was even better than the previous course of the specialization. It explains historical, technical part of the typography and assignments were very well related. Well designed course.

By Jennifer V H

Apr 29, 2016

I learned so much in 4 weeks! Knowing the terminology is wonderful, but I'm excited to start using a grid for my layouts and be able to choose fonts based on the psychology behind their design!

By Rahul K S

Ffirstly i need to say thanks to my university they provide me a best platform for learn more about my subject. And i get more knowledge from my forign mentors. I am Thankfully to your support.

By Ethan M

Jan 14, 2018

I highly enjoyed this class. I found it very helpful crash course on typography. The activities were engaging enough to help me understand more of the importance of typography in graphic design

By Elizabeth O

Dec 18, 2017

Reviewed some of what we learned about Typography in the first course (Fundamentals of Graphic Design), but did expand in some areas. Interesting and informative and great course assignments.

By lhys

Sep 29, 2016

The videos are beautifully edited and interesting to watch. There's a good amount of information, without making the course overwhelming. The assignments are clear and focused on the content.

By Juan F Z R

Apr 5, 2020

Como estudiante de arquitectura, este curso me ha ayudado bastante para la diagramación de láminas y el correcto uso de la tipografía. Gracias Coursera y CalArts por este maravilloso curso.

By Junxu L

Jan 14, 2017

Great Course. It is well-organized and instructive. I highly recommend the lectures, however, the assignments are not very challenging. Also, it is kind of theoretical instead of practical.

By Gustavo S d S

Jul 20, 2020

Great course on typography, we learn about spacing, form, scale, historical context of typefaces, differences between font and typeface, building posters and challenging assignments. 5/5 !

By Ellie R

Sep 17, 2018

Highly useful information to beginners in typography with very well made videos. Balanced exercises push students to implement the knowledge they acquired mixed with their own creativity.

By Pratik R K

Jun 23, 2020

Fabulous course! Learnt a lot in this course about various typefaces, history of the typeface, and how to use it effectively and efficiently and in a very appealing way. Thank you a lot!

By Ahmed H K

Aug 29, 2020

To some designer typography may be their bread and butter. But to some it is their kryptonite. And I fall into that later group. Hopefully I will have better chance with Typography now.

By Russel Q

Jun 23, 2019

The discerning use of Type has always escaped me. This class helped me see Type blocks as objects in addition to understanding the characteristics of type. Good class by Anther Kiley.

By Susan H

May 24, 2019

Really thorough for an introductory class. The supplementary materials invite the student to go deeper. Made me get out there and get my feet wet in InDesign - fun and good learning!

By Rosa P M V

Aug 25, 2017

I didn't have any idea about all concepts related to Typography. I learned so much that now I see the world in a different way. Now I understand the relation between words and things.

By Jemma H

Apr 13, 2020

I really enjoyed this course as a photographer who studied design I did not go into detail in my degree as to the specifics of typography. I found it beneficial to fill in some gaps.

By Shreya S

Apr 8, 2018

This course helped me understand the basics of typography as well as propelled to experiment with layouts, the composition and collaborate with peers. It was fun learning experience.

By Tsvetelina M

Apr 14, 2020

Typography has always been hard for me. This course makes it way easier to understand typography and how to use it to convey the correct message. I will have so much fun designing..

By Manon P

Oct 10, 2019

Loved it! I've learned so much about typefaces, typography in general. We use it and see it everyday but we don't really know what's behind it, so this course was very interesting!

By Nuha f

Jun 15, 2020

I loved this course. It came with good quality content and easy to follow guidelines. A systematic and practical approach for learning typography and getting a basic idea about it

By Aleksandar J

May 2, 2019

I'm very satisfied with this course overall! Tutorials were clear and interesting and it raised my interest for typography in general. I would recommend it to anybody interested!