Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

SK
Jun 4, 2020

Loved that the main typeface study was carried out throughout this course. Loved beginning with the writing assignment and then evolving into a full on typographic poster. Very fun and informative

201 - 225 of 903 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Julie W

Mar 28, 2020

Very interesting content (surprisingly so). Loved the brevity of the lectures (lots of info packed in small spaces) and meaningful assignments.

By Chryssel M B

Dec 26, 2017

The course was really fun and knowledgeable. I am excited to apply what I have learned here and increase my chances of getting a full-time job!

By Dudy M

Jan 17, 2021

I definitely learned a lot and look forward to learning more. Challenged me to keep diligent. Kept me motivated with many tools and reminders.

By Gerdel P

Jun 10, 2020

This course was very well designed to learn typography. The assignments were accurate to understand type and it was overall an amazing course.

By Juan C E

Nov 14, 2016

This course works as a reminder and as an inspiring turning point for my career. Great job curating the contents and choosing the teachers.

By Angelica B

Oct 31, 2016

I absolutely loved this course and I could see the impact it had on my design work. It has been the perfect basis to learn about Typography.

By Elina T

Nov 22, 2016

Starting the course I wasn't that into typography. The seminar gave me an other more interesting and creative point of view on that field.

By Carissa F

Mar 31, 2016

great introduction to key concepts of typography and typographic design. lectures were easy to follow, assignments had clear instructions.

By Utpal B

Feb 9, 2017

This is a very helpful course with in depth coverage of typographic conventions, its impact and guide on creating marvellous type design.

By Rui A M d S

This was something I wanted to learn for a while. As an introduction, this part of the course worked really well and I'm very satisfied.

By Suneth

Apr 29, 2020

This was a great course! Learned a lot about the development of typefaces and importance of them in a design and how to manipulate them.

By Pranjal S

May 22, 2016

This course is an essential if you want to be deft with Fonts and Typefaces.

Brilliantly explained! Thanks to the professor, loved it!!!!

By Elisabeth Z

May 4, 2016

Great course - lots of detailed information. The teacher spoke clearly and very deliberate. However, I just wanted to audit the course.

By Sakshi

Aug 15, 2020

Excellent content, wonderfully presented. I had a great learning experience. Thank you so much to the instructor, CALARTS and Coursera!

By Katsiaryna K

Dec 17, 2020

A great tourse to start with the Typography studying. I like the amount of theoretical information and the practical assignments both.

By Alicia M

Dec 1, 2020

Really enjoyable experience became a bit tedious at the beginning of the course but once we reached the assignments it was really fun.

By Felicia C

Jul 7, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! The assignments were manageable but still pushed you to be step out of the box and be more creative.

Mar 18, 2019

Brilliant! Cool projects and very well explained. I learnt a lot. Thanks and pls keep up the great work. This course is very valuable.

By Javier J B

Dec 20, 2020

Really well structured and interesting course to get to know Typography and experiment with shapes, colors, denotation, connotation..

By Tawanna C

Jan 9, 2017

Great course! It's a very introductory type course into typography. Very easy to understand and learn about typography. I enjoyed it.

By Sabreen S

Feb 28, 2021

Informative and easy going course. Easy to be followed by anyone especially for those of us how is starting to learn graphic design.

By Martin L M

Sep 6, 2020

This was such a great learning experience! I was always interested in Typography and this course was everything I expected and more!

By MUHAMMAD T Q A Q M

Aug 17, 2020

It enabled me to not just see the words but actually feel them, thank you for this amazing course CALARTS. More Power to you people!

By Mushtaq A R

Oct 17, 2017

I got to learn some useful techniques, terminology and creative ideas in this great course. It's very good especially for beginners.

By Fergus N

May 30, 2016

This was an excellent course with a thoughtful look at typography that achieves a decent breadth of coverage in the short timeframe.