Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

301 - 325 of 998 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Sarah K

Apr 7, 2019

Very interesting theory. Good balance between knowledge (quizzes) and practice (assignments) to ensure learning.

By Barbara C d S

Very good! For me it was a great opportunity to learn more about typography and how to use it, in so many ways.

By Camila R

Jan 25, 2019

Excellent course, highly recommended! It provides a lot of useful concepts. You will love typography after it.

By Patrycja

Dec 9, 2020

Great course. I learnt a lot. I loved the assignments that help to improve the skills as designer. Wonderful.

By Emmanuel L

Apr 16, 2020

I love this course! I've learned a lot about Typography and I'll stick to the material provided here. Thanks!

By Patricia M C

May 15, 2017

Maravilloso a pesar no manejarme en el mismo idioma puede aprender bastante con algo más de tiempo y esfuerzo

By AnSo M

Aug 20, 2016

Really good course! The assignments are very well designed and just make you to learn more about typography.

By Anna K

May 2, 2016

Very interesting and helpful, especially for me as a beginner. Great lecturer.

Thanks a lot for this course!

By Ana K

Jun 13, 2020

I liked this course very much. I like typography and during this course, I learned more about the typeface.

By Aigoz A

Apr 21, 2020

The substantial course on Typography. A lot of interesting detailed information and practical assignments.

By Monique P P

May 23, 2016

Interesting course! I learned a lot from this course and from my peers. Thank you so much for offering it.

By saurabh g

May 14, 2016

I loved this course. Everything is explained really well and the assignments are pretty good too. 5 stars!

By Shibu P

Apr 16, 2019

An informative course which makes you aware of a bundle of essential knowledge about typefaces and fonts.

By Asmaa R

Aug 30, 2021

t​his course helped me and I feel also icreased my level of creativity, thank you for making this course

By Anahita J

Mar 15, 2021

thanks a lot for this amazing course.....was an honor for me to be a learner in this informative course.

By Prachiti D

Jul 16, 2020

This course is well formed and easy to understand. Very helpful in expanding knowledge about typography.

By Ola A A

I really love the way the course being represented, it was fun and informative, I enjoyed it so much💕💕

By Amanda J V

Oct 17, 2016

This was a fun introduction to typography. I really enjoyed the assignments and the informative lessons.

By Jorge R O T

Aug 17, 2020

very complete i really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to incorporate typography into my future work

By Keisuke F

Dec 19, 2019

Very good course. I've learned about typography a lot.

I tried making some logs and customers like them.

By Tigran G

Oct 23, 2017

I enter the world of typography, typeface, fonts, greeds, expressive posters and etc. It was realy cool

By Rumana

Oct 8, 2017

Typography and grammar came together, win-win! Guess what my favourite subject is now? Its Typography.

By Tanjim T J

Nov 29, 2016

It was a great experience.I have learnt many important and useful things.Thanks to coursera and CalArt

By Courtney A

Apr 4, 2016

Very informative and a lot of fun to learn about! I also thought the assignments were very beneficial.

By Blanca J S

Aug 8, 2016

Great course! A little basic for those who already know a little about design but I enjoyed it a lot.