Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

326 - 350 of 973 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Aura M C

Apr 21, 2019

I absolutelly LOVED this course! I can't stop looking at letterforms after taking it. Gorgeous! :)

By Christine G

Apr 25, 2021

This course is full of important details to get you more excited about Graphic Design. Thank you!

By Abdullah A R S

Oct 30, 2020

Excellent course. Detailed introduction to typography helped me to follow through how type works.

By Jonathan T

Jul 27, 2020

Very informational and easy to understand. Challenging assignments. Fun ways to leaen the basics.

By SOUQUET A

Mar 20, 2020

Clear, effective, interesting ! Everything of this course is good and well presented. Thank you !

By Olli V

Jan 18, 2018

Very well-designed and constructed course. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the topic!

By Gennifer B

Jul 26, 2020

I learned a lot from this course! The lectures were easy to follow and I loved every assignment!

By Sian-Louise N

Feb 26, 2019

this was extremely helpful. I had no idea how much I could learn from this course on Typography.

By mahnoor a

Sep 17, 2020

This was a difficult course but it provided detailed insight into typography for graphic design

By Angela O

Sep 25, 2018

I liked this course. Very straightforward and had useful assignments that built on each other.

By Rama B

Aug 8, 2016

Loved it. Great content. Userful assignments. Most importantly, kept it interesting. Thank you.

By Ellen R

Nov 4, 2020

a very nice course to learn the BASICS of typography, easy to follow and explained very nicely

By Richard B

Sep 24, 2020

It's a good introduction to help think about how type will affect your audience. I enjoyed it.

By Sahara Z F

Sep 1, 2020

An amazing second course! If you are interested in Graphic Design or Typography give it a try.

By Assel N

Jul 11, 2016

This course is very informative and interesting! I will definitely recommend it to my friends.

By Sarah A

Dec 28, 2020

Wonderful class - just enough to learn the basics and I'm excited to learn more on the topic.

By Jia M

This course gives me a deeper understanding of Typography and better use fonts in the poster.

By Ahsan A

Oct 5, 2018

Perfectly Covered the content. I'll definitely enroll in another course by CALARTS. Loved it!

By Anusha

Oct 15, 2017

I literally love this subject. It has given me a lot a of information from basic to advanced.

By Lynn K

Jan 25, 2017

This course is good to understand basic typography. Teacher had detail and good explanations.

By Mingtao W

May 15, 2019

Very good intro class. Learned a lot of practical skills when applying typography to design.

By Fer G

This course gave a good perspective to what it takes to shape a text by manipulating types.

By Julie L

Aug 5, 2016

Very interesting, you have to always push your limit and experiment to benefit this course!

By Jashtelle E

Nov 23, 2020

Wonderful! I never knew typography was so interesting. I had fun. It was very informative!

By The S O S

Aug 22, 2020

Now that is exactly what I was looking for when I began searching for a typography course.