Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

MB
Jul 25, 2020

The course is very interesting and well presented, the assignments are really helpful for the learning process. I would recommend to anyone interested in design, art, web design or just for curiosity.

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

551 - 575 of 935 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Alexander M A S

Nov 8, 2019

Excellent course and excellent teacher

By Luisa M E C

Jun 18, 2017

I had a great time taking this course!

By Katarina B

Nov 10, 2016

very good quality, very good teachers.

By Mary R

Really interesting and easy to follow

By Dijana M

Sep 29, 2016

Excellent course. Highly recommended.

By Diana A

Jun 29, 2016

An excellent course, I learned a lot.

By 魏清君

Jun 18, 2016

Love typography and love this course.

By Monali K

Aug 22, 2020

Knowledgeable and interesting course

By Munjeong K

Apr 23, 2018

perfect. there are so many exercise.

By liangzi l

Mar 30, 2017

I am already know how to do a poster

By Andre M O

Aug 28, 2016

perfect the approaches to typography

By Akash S

Jul 11, 2016

one of the best courses I have taken

By Stefanie v d B

Nov 13, 2020

good basic and very good teachers !

By Phil H

Sep 24, 2020

excellent overview in compact form.

By Ahmed K R

Aug 16, 2020

Thank You Cal ARTS for the courses!

By Khan Z A

Jul 24, 2020

Great course. Enjoyed it very much.

By Chris F

Jun 29, 2016

Very helpful. I feel I learnt a lot

By camilo a f

Jul 9, 2020

Excelent... This is a Great Course

By sneha G

May 5, 2020

Great course and great instructor.

By Mario D B

Nov 13, 2018

It was a great learning experience

By Igor S F d A

May 13, 2016

It is a great oportunity to learn.

By Elizabeth Q

Dec 17, 2020

Good experience! I recommend 100%

By Maya R

May 14, 2019

Great introduction to typography!

By Julie S

Mar 8, 2019

Very interesting and informative.

By Christy L

Oct 1, 2018

this class is amazing! thank you!