Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

876 - 900 of 965 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Amélie P

Jun 2, 2018

Really cool course! But it was really to short. More lectures and more projects should be great.

By Kirstin H

Jul 30, 2020

Wish we where given more direction and examples of what was wanted.

But enjoyed the instructor.

By Abbie W

Apr 11, 2017

I would like some input from the instructors on all the Graphic Design specialization courses.

By Margaret T

May 16, 2020

I understand more about typography and learnt the theory behind. The assignments are useful

By P Z C

May 27, 2017

Typography got really interesting after the teacher told many different artists in history.

By Chris S

Feb 4, 2017

Very basic introduction to typography. The material a bit more simplistic than I had hoped.

By 邱菁

May 15, 2016

Nice course! Hope the teacher can give us more instruction about how to design typography.

By Shaivy B

Oct 17, 2017

not being able to submit my assignments even though I took a financial aid, please help

By spencer z

Aug 5, 2017

i would prefer more case study or posters comparison! but still, this class is awesome!

By Sandesh S

Feb 22, 2017

The course was really fun and I learned a lot. I wish there was more to this course.

By Andrea S A

Jun 28, 2020

It's very helpful to understand how important is the typography in any composition

By Rose J

Apr 18, 2021

This course was really interesting too much history about different type faces.

By Joly F Z

Jun 14, 2018

A good intro course to Typograph - with basic information and practical skills.

By James H

Apr 1, 2018

A few key snippets here and there have really enhanced my typographic fluency.

By Masahiro S

Dec 1, 2016

I could learn this course in the "step by step" way, by refined assignments.

By Sarah M

Mar 18, 2021

Excellent course content. The peer feedback on assignments was not helpful.

By Michelle G

Sep 11, 2017

This one really got me thinking about typography in new and different ways.

By Marcella S M S

Jun 1, 2020

Lovely intro to typography! Hands-on, theory-heavy and great explanations.

By Edward G C

Jun 24, 2016

Es un buen curso sobre tipografía... Debería tener subtítulos en Español.

By Ranjit R

Jul 5, 2020

This is a great course to learn about basic typography and it's history.

By Wessam E

Aug 27, 2018

love this course , open mind to realize a typography process in design

By Legs C

Mar 16, 2018

Nice introduction for the typography and some important bases to start

By Lisa H

May 6, 2017

Nice course that will give you a great understanding of typography.

By Chimdiebere A

Oct 8, 2020

Very awesome and timely course for graphic Designers in this era.

By Hamza S

Jan 29, 2020

i will guarantee that this is the best course to learn typography