Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS

Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG

Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

1076 - 1090 of 1,090 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By DINESH K K

Jun 14, 2020

good

By Nayama R

Jun 20, 2022

The videos are objective, clear and interesting, I liked the extra sources too. The assignments have a good level for a introduction course. The peer reviews process are the only bad thing in fact about not only this course but in all coursera courses. Due the large number of people who doing the assignments, some people don't take it serious. While I was reading carefully my coleagues assigments and giving good an construtive feedback, I received poor qualitity reviews with short comentaries like "good", "no", "I like". I also got 0 in every single criteria in my last assignment from a study that clearly even did not opened my PDF. The peer reviews are definetily the most frustating part of the course.

By Sergio G F

Jul 24, 2020

I learn that typography is much deeper than I thought but some of the theoretical explanations about how readable some typefaces are are subjective and it depends on each individual or what they are used to.

By E. C C

Jan 24, 2017

Basic overview of Typographical ideas, terms and so forth. A bit short and not very technical, but playing with Type as an integral part of design was really fun and inspirational.

By ANUSHA C

Aug 26, 2020

peer grade review takes a lot of time and even when i have submitted the assignment before time its not being reviewed.

By Adrienn B

Jun 27, 2020

In the first 2 weeks there was no hands-on project, literally nothing exciting just dry material.

By Euan M

Apr 7, 2016

Would have welcomed more or longer lectures, and more variety in the assignments.

By Xinjuan D

Jun 20, 2019

too boring

By israa h h

Mar 9, 2019

nice

By Freyja M

Jun 29, 2020

Not engaging, seemed to drag on forever.

Sep 2, 2020

Coursera issue, not the course itself.

Coursera app via appleTV is not compatible despite being available as something to download on that platform. I did work on both appleTV and desktop apps before I realized that the work did not transfer from one format to the other.

Coursera was not helpful in fusing the work so my participation was a bust despite the GREAT quality of the material.

By Stephen R

Mar 23, 2021

I liked the course and the material, but It was frustrating working with whatever bug plagued the system. Moved and switched due dates, peer reviews not recording. It was a total mess

By Donna K

Jan 17, 2022

Nothing in this class in explained, I learned more watching Youtube than this course

By Eleni W Z