Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

MB
Jul 25, 2020

The course is very interesting and well presented, the assignments are really helpful for the learning process. I would recommend to anyone interested in design, art, web design or just for curiosity.

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

101 - 125 of 884 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Maged E S

Apr 18, 2018

please update the videos as soon as possible because found in this course and other courses that the videos were recorded in 2013-2014 and the quality some times is horrible and maybe to improve sound quality as well.

By Maureen O

Oct 9, 2019

GREAT TEACHERS! GREAT COURSE OUTLINE! GREAT ASSIGNMENTS AND QUIZZES..WORKED MY ASS OUT. I'M GLAD I TOOK THIS COURSE..IT HAS AIDED ME IN LEARNING ABOUT TYPOGRAPHY AND ITS USAGE AND IMPACT IN DESIGNING TODAY.

By Rebecca C

Apr 7, 2020

Introduction to Typography was very informative and had a lot of useful information. The videos were very detailed and easy to understand. The assignments instructions and expectations were outlined well.

By Andrea R

Aug 16, 2019

Because letters are not just letters... You can communicate more than just words and ideas, you can communicate a time, place, feelings, etc when the correct typography... this is what this course is about.

By Rhonda C

May 31, 2019

This course is a very good introduction to typography - it's history, technological advances, layout design and composition. It helps prove how important it is in choosing the right typeface for a project.

By Rita K

Jan 19, 2018

In the Graphic Design Specialisation this course is my favourite so far. The videos are great, the assignments are interesting. After this introductory course I would love a Typography specialization too.

By Muhammad I

Jun 21, 2020

That was so much fun playing with the typefaces and their making. I was always overwhelmed by the typography but I am more confident now that at last I can manipulate them and get benefits in my designs.

By Anastasia W

Oct 10, 2016

I learned so much from this course. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get a quick introduction to typography. The instructor does an excellent job in both explaining and illustrating topics.

By Diana-Mihaela S

Aug 12, 2016

I highly recommend this course! Before taking it, typography was some sort of mystical art, now everything is crystal clear. Concise and to the point, the course allows you to gain essential knowledge.

By Mariana B B

Jul 26, 2020

By Sarah Z

Aug 28, 2020

i really enjoyed this course and i liked the part where we interact with other artists around the world. i learned a lot about typography and i think it'm ready to continue in my journey with art.

By Lidia B

Apr 8, 2016

Plenty of information on various aspects of typography presented in detail and in a comrehensive manner, as well as engaging exercises really boost your knowledge and broaden your design horizons!

By Hongjoo Y

Aug 24, 2016

This course was even better than the previous course of the specialization. It explains historical, technical part of the typography and assignments were very well related. Well designed course.

By Jennifer V H

Apr 29, 2016

I learned so much in 4 weeks! Knowing the terminology is wonderful, but I'm excited to start using a grid for my layouts and be able to choose fonts based on the psychology behind their design!

By Rahul K S

Ffirstly i need to say thanks to my university they provide me a best platform for learn more about my subject. And i get more knowledge from my forign mentors. I am Thankfully to your support.

By Ethan M

Jan 14, 2018

I highly enjoyed this class. I found it very helpful crash course on typography. The activities were engaging enough to help me understand more of the importance of typography in graphic design

By Elizabeth O

Dec 18, 2017

Reviewed some of what we learned about Typography in the first course (Fundamentals of Graphic Design), but did expand in some areas. Interesting and informative and great course assignments.

By lhys

Sep 29, 2016

The videos are beautifully edited and interesting to watch. There's a good amount of information, without making the course overwhelming. The assignments are clear and focused on the content.

By Juan F Z R

Apr 5, 2020

Como estudiante de arquitectura, este curso me ha ayudado bastante para la diagramación de láminas y el correcto uso de la tipografía. Gracias Coursera y CalArts por este maravilloso curso.

By Junxu L

Jan 14, 2017

Great Course. It is well-organized and instructive. I highly recommend the lectures, however, the assignments are not very challenging. Also, it is kind of theoretical instead of practical.

By Gustavo S d S

Jul 20, 2020

Great course on typography, we learn about spacing, form, scale, historical context of typefaces, differences between font and typeface, building posters and challenging assignments. 5/5 !

By Ellie R

Sep 17, 2018

Highly useful information to beginners in typography with very well made videos. Balanced exercises push students to implement the knowledge they acquired mixed with their own creativity.

By Pratik R K

Jun 24, 2020

Fabulous course! Learnt a lot in this course about various typefaces, history of the typeface, and how to use it effectively and efficiently and in a very appealing way. Thank you a lot!

By Ahmed H K

Aug 29, 2020

To some designer typography may be their bread and butter. But to some it is their kryptonite. And I fall into that later group. Hopefully I will have better chance with Typography now.