Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

AA
Oct 10, 2016

Very good course, made me really think again. The professor is very clear on his explanations and he also made the course smooth and funny, which helped on the learning process. Highly recommended!

SM
Jun 10, 2020

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

101 - 125 of 703 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Gustavo A G A

Jun 28, 2017

Excepcional curso que lleva a cabo lo que para muchos es imposible enseñar: el vínculo entre la Lógica como disciplina, y su aplicación en la vida diaria. Un gran maestro que logra desarrollar y hacer comprender ideas tan complejas a un público no especializado. Altamente recomendable.

By Ozlem A I

May 13, 2020

I am so grateful to everyone who prepared this course and especially to Dr.Walter. Although the things that I learned during this course are very precious and fundamental for life, I was able to learn them unfortunately at the age of 32. Nevertheless, it is never too late :) Hurray!!!

By Elie M

Sep 4, 2019

This course has really opened my eyes and my mind because I used to think only one way in life, but now, I fully understand how to have intelligent arguments and conversations with others. This course is recommended to anybody who wants to have a good conversation with one another.

By Carol G

Jul 10, 2020

I found this topic fascinating and my introduction to linguistics and informal logic. Learning how to craft arguments using the appropriate components by their accurate names, I feel much more confident listening to and composing arguments.

Onward to the second course. Thanks.

By Tina

Apr 7, 2019

Very clear and profound! The profession is clever and funny, explaining the difficult definition in a very detailed and clear way. The only thing that bugs me is that the answer in the exam. It explains the right answer which is good, but it never explains why my answer is wrong.

By Jacqueline M

The professor is very knowledgeable on analyzing arguments and all of the applicable components. He presents material in a way that is challenging, but learnable. He displays a true passion for the subject matter and I really feel as though I learned a lot by taking this course!

By RM

Aug 30, 2016

This is one of the best courses I've taken to date through Coursera. The course content is useful in all walks of life and the instructor is thorough and engaging. I would highly recommend this course to everyone interested in looking for ways to structure better arguments.

By Amir R M F

Sep 27, 2020

The lectures were very well done and the information provided was essential. Therefore, every student should take this course.

This is a valid argument with assuring terms and positive evaluative terms and several suppressed premises. I know this because I took the course.

By Sagar L

The course takes a very structural approach to breaking down arguments into their most granular components and all the tools and tips to form and evaluate good arguments.The course material is very well structured and the lectures and discussion forums are pretty engaging!

By nandana s

Jul 13, 2020

The professors were simply amazing and they explained everything really well. I am really glad I decided to take this course as now I can put it on my Personal Statement for University, Professor Sinnott was also really funny throughout the duration of the course.

By Madeline K

Jul 12, 2020

The lectures were very well done and compelling, making learning interesting and fun. The intermittent exercises really helped with solidifying the lessons and the discussions were an additional fun exercise. Overall, this was an engaging and informative course.

By Dana S

May 5, 2020

It's impossible to describe how valuable this course is. It will help you develop your arguments, think about how you think and make your arguments better. It will help you understand the reasoning of others and find both their strong and weak points. Excellent!

By Jennifer E

Nov 8, 2018

The instructor is entertaining while informative, he speaks clearly and confidently, the captions are accurate and usually don't pass too quickly, there were charts and lists clearly displayed, therefore I was able to adequately learn the material presented.

By Anastasiya L

Sep 30, 2020

I took the course for the purpose of personal development, I can say with great confidence that I learned from the course and enjoyed it a lot. I believe I will also take the next course in the series.

Thank you very much Dr. Walter Sinnott-Armstrong!

By Miguel Á H

Aug 1, 2017

Hello everybody! This is a very useful course. It teachs you how to understand arguments and agree with them or refute them when are bad or poorly constructed. But it is not easy. You have to dedicate it enough time an effort for make the most of it.

By Noelle p

Jan 15, 2017

Brilliant course! I learned so much about how to evaluate arguments and pick them apart to understand the reasoning process behind them. I have been looking for a course just like this for ages and I am so glad I finally found it! Highly recommended.

By Regina C

Mar 12, 2018

Mi nivel de inglés es bueno, sin embargo, en algunos casos hubo palabras que debí buscar su significado antes de responder. El curso es bueno para encontrar las premisas ocultas tan importantes para definir los mensajes.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

By Ben W

Sep 17, 2017

Fantastic! Thank you so much for putting this course together. I had a lot of fun going through the lectures and doing the discussions and quizzes. I feel very inspired to further my to continue developing my reasoning and critical thinking skills.

By Mostafa E

Aug 28, 2017

this is a very important course to take first to understand others argument so you have understanding of the people which get you closer to others as well as formulating your own argument for the different reasons you might have to give an argument

By swastik m

Feb 19, 2019

this is an exceptional course with a lot to learn.the professor makes it so easily understandable that it makes class more fun. the discussion questions increased the level of communication which in turn helps understanding all the perspectives.

By Tara V

Sep 16, 2017

The worse part was the final. It took me 10 times to pass the final but it was well worth it and well earned. I enjoyed the content but wished the instructor had slowed down a little on some of the concepts. Its hard to listen and take notes.

By Nizar K

Sep 19, 2017

Excellent course, learnt how to understand ARguments, using language and analyzing the language of ARgument. WAs very skeptical at first but at the end of the course was completely converted. Enjoyed the way the class was presented. Many thanks

By Kathleen R

Mar 18, 2019

The course was well-structured and taught in an engaging manner. Lectures were well done. Quizzes were helpful. Excellent insights and I just wish I took this course years ago -- would have helped me use argument in a more effective manner.

By Nenad P

May 6, 2020

Absolutely brilliant course. What I expected to be a course focused on actual arguments and presenting them this course took me on a journey of philosophical linguistics that absolutely dazzled my mind and thinking. Recommended for sure!!!!!

By Gustavo A V T

Nov 2, 2020

This course is very interesting. If you have the opportunity to read the textbook they suggest do it, because it will increase your understanding about the theme. You will need some effort to be able to complete the test and get approved.