Back to The Unix Workbench

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Unix Workbench by Johns Hopkins University

Unix forms a foundation that is often very helpful for accomplishing other goals you might have for you and your computer, whether that goal is running a business, writing a book, curing disease, or creating the next great app. The means to these goals are sometimes carried out by writing software. Software can’t be mined out of the ground, nor can software seeds be planted in spring to harvest by autumn. Software isn’t produced in factories on an assembly line. Software is a hand-made, often bespoke good. If a software developer is an artisan, then Unix is their workbench. Unix provides an essential and simple set of tools in a distraction-free environment. Even if you’re not a software developer learning Unix can open you up to new methods of thinking and novel ways to scale your ideas. This course is intended for folks who are new to programming and new to Unix-like operating systems like macOS and Linux distributions like Ubuntu. Most of the technologies discussed in this course will be accessed via a command line interface. Command line interfaces can seem alien at first, so this course attempts to draw parallels between using the command line and actions that you would normally take while using your mouse and keyboard. You’ll also learn how to write little pieces of software in a programming language called Bash, which allows you to connect together the tools we’ll discuss. My hope is that by the end of this course you be able to use different Unix tools as if they’re interconnecting Lego bricks....

RW
Apr 29, 2020

This is a very friendly step-by-step guide to Unix for beginners, it helps to build a solid foundation, and the exercises are designed to explore more about what has been introduced in the course.

KS
Jan 28, 2018

A wonderful course! Answered so many questions I had and gave me a solid background in Git, Bash, makefiles, and working from the cloud. I will definitely be using these skills in my job search!

251 - 275 of 336 Reviews for The Unix Workbench

Jun 4, 2020

goood

By Monica S

Oct 10, 2020

Good

By Ankit G

Mar 21, 2020

Easy

By Carlos F M M

Dec 3, 2019

Nice

By Gregory D H

Jun 4, 2018

This is a a gentle introduction to the Unix command line environment covering the fundamental skills upon learners can build. For anyone considering taking the Genomic Data Science Specialization courses and not familiar with the Unix command line environment, "The Unix Workbench" is a good foundation. The inclusion of version control (git and repositories - both local and remote) plus cloud computing as remote development and deployment environments shows practical real world usage of command line skills.

I deducted one star solely based on the written narrative. While correct in its content the presentation was dry, in my opinion, if the target audience is novices or those with very limited exposure to the Unix command line. I am not a command line novice so maybe my critique is not shared by those in the target audience. Why did I take this course? The courses by instructors affiliated with Johns Hopkins University are consistently informative, practical, and enjoyable. It never hurts to refresh basic skills regardless of where we might be along the spectrum from novice to expert; I learn something each time. "The Unix Workbench" is a good addition to JHU's contribution to democratising education.

By Will J

Aug 7, 2017

I came into the course with some knowledge of the shell but the course really opened up my eyes to how to use some of the more advanced features of bash scripting. To get a five star review, I would have expected some more depth such as including sections on awk or sed. In addition, I would have really like to better understand how people apply these skills in the real world. Especially with the close ties to the Data Science certification (both courses being from John Hopkins), I would have expected to see how a makefile could be used to rebuild analyses or how sed could be used to do some in-stream processing. Bottom line: I'm glad I took the course but wouldn't pay for it as there's way more to learn.

By Michael J C

Jun 9, 2019

This is a good course, barely adapted from Sean Kross' UNIX workbench book. Much of the course material refers to chapter numbers but is easy enough to follow without the book. I found that some sections did make a few leaps between the written content and the exercises. For the most part this was OK but the exercises for the final section, "Nephology", were well beyond the written content ("now make a Twitter bot"). Also, the course required that we sign up to Digital Oceans (and gave us a credit)...be prepared for spam and officious disregard for customers.