Back to Usable Security

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Usable Security by University of Maryland, College Park

This course focuses on how to design and build secure systems with a human-centric focus. We will look at basic principles of human-computer interaction, and apply these insights to the design of secure systems with the goal of developing security measures that respect human performance and their goals within a system....

IR

Jun 21, 2016

I like how in depth this gets. it explains it very well an in ways for people who are starting off in this field to get a basic understanding in exactly what we are learning. very well put together!

BH

Jun 30, 2020

hi there,FIrst of all i'd like to thank our instructor , Jennifer Golbeck, for the hard working and the amazing way of teaching . I really love the course, thanks you very much and keep it up *-^ .

426 - 450 of 584 Reviews for Usable Security

By Edwin K

Sep 10, 2020

Found it a little hard following through some of the lectures maybe due to my inability to tie in the week or weeks before. I loved the many examples, interviews and the final TED video. The final exams were also great. My only problem with the platform is the inability to know or correct your mistakes after taking an exercise

By Pedro G L

Aug 27, 2020

Um ótimo curso introdutório para aprender conceitos básicos e importantes sobre usabilidade, testes e design no desenvolvimento de sistemas seguros (e "usable"), políticas de privacidade e erros comumente cometidos durante todo o processo de elaboração de um sistema voltado para o usuário, com alta usabildade e segurança.

By Courtney H

Jul 28, 2016

This is a basic overview of security issues and user input for web sites, etc. It focuses on design, usability and other issues that affect how people interact with security log-in and other issues.

It's a good foundation for looking at your or other's work and knowing the best way for the computer to interact with a user.

By Armin M

Feb 22, 2020

Some lecture videos are overly boring. Some links to recommended readings are outdated or dangling. I would like to challenge the notion that a 12 year can not give consent to a simple privacy statement. But the course all in all seems to give a overview and some perspectives on security or privacy I did not have before.

By Rahima J M

Sep 19, 2020

Content is very nicely presented, although the actual time for completion isn't correctly estimated in the course overview because the readings take several times longer than predicted. The course would be otherwise perfect if some topics were updated. I would highly recommend the course for this particular topic.

By Yashasvi P

It was an amazing experience learning from your institution. The best works I would like to highlight here are the practical approach of teaching. Added to that introducing real life situations, interviews with the authorized individuals and actually working on taking decisions from a user's perspective.

By Sriram K

May 22, 2016

iTS Okay. a few things seem a bit hokey. the interviews etc. But overall, not too bad. Good learning points.

But will I pay for this. NO. Mainly b/c its hard to translate it in to a tangible value. No employer will say, OH, you took this class. Let me give you a job or promotion or more money...

By Praveen K S

Jun 04, 2020

This Course Help me to learn how a company should implement security policy's and user friendly auth devices and how a employer should educate their employee about companies security policy and ask them for a feedback about any policy that is not up to level or no sense of any policy.

By Charvik P

Sep 22, 2016

It is one course which should done by each and every one who is using the computer as it talks about daily security problems and this course will let every one aware about how to keep there password and at what duration User should Change there password to keep there System Secure.

By Zebadiah S W N

Jul 30, 2020

A really good course to begin with in the Cybersecurity Specialization as it teaches us the ethics we must develop as fundamentals as we approach this field. Instructor was well informed in the field, and very knowledgeable. All in all, very satisfied with the course.

By John C

Jun 19, 2016

I'm not a cyber professional, but I deal with a lot of security issues just as a part of the job. I'm also researching new hardware methods for cyber security systems. I found aspects of this course to be useful to me. Enjoyed the

By SHABA

Mar 21, 2020

It was a good experience and chance for me to learn and get knowledge from this course. in additional I want to suggest to improve the course note for example attach the main points and definitions with the course.

Regards

By Vitoria L

Aug 10, 2019

Aspectos muito interessantes e que se mostram um diferencial para profissioais de Segurança da Informação e Designers. Só achei que as aplicações e exemplos práticos utilizados são antigos, podendo ser sistemas muito mais atuais.

By Ricardo J B A

Jun 13, 2017

Simple and effective. It has good examples and is easy to follow.

There are a couple of links mentioned in the videos that I didn't find in the reading materials. Otherwise the weeks' lectures have always good reading support

By Nelson A A

Feb 03, 2017

Covered many topics which are complementary to skills i'm improving or I wanna improve. Also, usability is always something relegated on software engineering so it's valuable to find a course to learn more about it.

By Alexander D

May 12, 2020

A lot of the course material is very outdated. The lectures seem to have been made at least 6 years ago. Overall seemed like a good class, although I wouldn't know if any of the concepts are also outdated.

By Miroslav P

Jan 05, 2020

This course provides a concise insight into basic aspects of usable security. In the quizzes, the choice of answers tend to be confusing and some of them, which turned out to be correct, left me in doubt.

By abdullah a

Jun 26, 2017

a really good course i gave 4 stars because there's some noise in some lectures and delays but the content is legendary!

and its mostly about software engineering concept

thanks for this great course <3

By Dave V

Aug 13, 2019

I think the most interesting part is how the readings, while not the most recent research, are still 100% applicable today. The industry hasn't moved very much in terms of usable security practices.

By J.P. H D A

Dec 26, 2017

The course was informative. But it needs improvements. In my view, rather than conducting interviews, experts opinions can be included in the contents of the course/lectures. Done well. Thanks

By Jimmy

Mar 29, 2017

Excellent course, well explained. Not too much things to learn at once. Ideal when you want to start. Would be useful to have also a slide deck next to it for the review and exam preparation.

By Mo A

Jul 09, 2017

The course contents were useful but were to somehow abstract or intangible. Fortunately, It has practical examples which help learning tough concepts. Generally, I liked the principles more.

By Mohamed M

Sep 23, 2019

it's a great course but i feel like it's just not for me

it's good to know that there is something called usable security i never hear of it and for someone like to know new stuff its great

By Simon W

Apr 25, 2019

I did this course as part of a cyber security specialization.

The course content and presentation were excellent. HCI does not appeal to me so I do not feel I can give it five stars.

By Matko Z

Sep 28, 2016

A totally new insights to security. Since I am a Software Engineer student this concepts are going to prove invaluable in my future tasks. Great tutor and Coursera support, love it.