Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM
Sep 22, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

RB
Sep 14, 2020

Very well explained with lots of practical examples - would highly recommend this course to anyone looking at getting an initial understanding of design thinking and how it can be applied practically.

151 - 175 of 2,049 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Thuraya

May 28, 2016

One of the best courses I have ever attended. I am really impressed with the presentation of the content and the creativity of delivering the ideas. I have purchased the book "GROWTH" from Amazon, to add on what I've already learned in a deeper manner.

Thuraya Al Souli

By Anais C P Q

Aug 13, 2020

Excelente contenido y forma de organizar el curso. Posee herramientas que quizás hayamos escuchado antes pero el desarrollo de las mismas y la forma de ejecutarlas y organizarlas para obtener un resultado o resolver un problema, es lo que se aprende con el diseño de pensamiento.

By Shubham S

Jul 16, 2020

Great course! A lot of intricate details that are generally missed out when making decisions are conceptualized and delivered in a really simple and interactive manner. This course would definitely help me see things from different perspectives and help me take better decisions.

By Alexandra S

Sep 13, 2017

Most inspiring! I was so excited about many of the topics and tools and examples, that right now, day and night, my mind comes up with quotes from the course and ideas where to apply and test what I learned there, determined to use every opportunity I have to use this framework.

By Zac W

Aug 10, 2016

Very good introduction to design thinking. Provides some useful tools that I have already used in my personal and professional projects and will continue to use in the future. Every video lesson was well done and tied the overall theme into the content well. Highly recommended!

By Leonor E d P

Jan 19, 2020

Great course on Design Thinking. Easy to listen and to go through. The professor is very didactical and the material is very well designed and presented. I would recommend this course if you'll like to broaden your knowledge in this area. It is a must-have tool for management.

By Laura M

Feb 17, 2018

Such a fantastic course. The videos were compelling and I learned so much without the stress of homework. Perfect for full time working professionals who want to learn about design thinking, but do not have hours to invest in assignments. The professor was really excellent.

By Madhu S

Aug 1, 2020

Initially I thought this is something about Designing, but as per recommendation from my company I had to finish it. Now I feel so happy to take this course. Jeanne Lidtka and her colleages very well articulated and given lot of insights into design thinking. Thank you Jeanne

By Iman S

Sep 14, 2017

Thank you Jeanne M. Liedtka Ma'am.

Thank you Coursera.

It was a good experience for me as an young novice entrepreneur. I have gained immense knowledge about the dos' and do not s', about approaching a market with a product, targeted customers, etc. Thank you all once again.

By Philein G Z

Mar 6, 2018

This course surprised me. I had reservations before as I had prior mindset that it is for the "creatives". But this course made me realize a lot about how we can shape our minds and hone our skills to better connect with the world! Thank you Coursera and Jeanne M. Liedtka!

By Teboho M

Jun 17, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the learning process and how it has made view Design thinking from a different angle. The Lecturers delivery of the content was amazing, from the way she spoke to the way she made use of visual aids. I am grateful to have learned so much through Cou

By Jean-Baptiste V

Feb 6, 2018

Very good initiation course offering examples and tools supporting a slightly different approach of Design Thinking than the usual 5-to-7-step one (Empathy, Define, Ideate, Prototype...). I would recommand this course as a first dive into this broad and bold methodology.

By TEJUS U M

Sep 6, 2020

Jeanne Liedtka's sessions were exceptional, insightful and set an important tone for following design thinking approach for creating products because it became evident from the course that designing the product and engaging with potential users is an intertwined process

By Dylan E

Apr 6, 2020

Great course! I learned the basics of design thinking, what design thinking look like in the real world, and had the opportunity to apply a concept of design thinking into my own work. Very beneficial course and I can see this impacting my work in the future. Thank you!

By Tim W

Apr 1, 2020

Excellent course material, well organised and highly informative. It has given me a genuinely valuable and practical framework that can be applied in real life situations - as well as some of the intellectual tools - to improve how I work. It was enjoyable to boot!

By Dipan V

Apr 28, 2020

I liked the course and am sure the knowledge gained here will be extremely useful in my work. And I realize, that learning and Design Thinking is a continuous process; there's so much to do and to learn!

I am grateful to Jeanne and the team that put it all together.

By Ricardo V

Jun 13, 2019

Design thinking really drives you to the process of asking better questions, to challenge status quo and have a different perspectives of common problems and how to solve them. have a huge respect and admiration for Professor Jeanne Liedtka and Ed Hesse. Thank you.

By Kerolles F H

Sep 29, 2019

This course made me know the secret of the success of the greatest companies, this secret is the design thinking and a lot of tools used together with visualization and storytelling and mental maps .. I am grateful to Coursera and for this course and instructors

By SADANALA B

Jun 14, 2020

perfect alignment of topics and best examples have been given which are in the real business world that actually happened. That showed how they did manage the situation to come out of it and how they succeeded in it. like kitchen story and, an app for fitness.

By Rupal P

Dec 7, 2020

Its an excellent course for beginner. Also being in community makes it interacting. I would recommend every financial professional to also develop critical thinking through design thinking process. The course is well explained with some very good case studies.

By David H

Jan 4, 2017

The lecture videos move very fast at times but the information is concise and useful. The professor uses lots of examples to illustrate each of the topics covered and helps facilitate the students in adapting the concepts into their own lives and experiences.

By Christopher A

Sep 7, 2016

This as been one of the most rewarding MOOCs I have taken, and I can't recommend it enough . ‎Professor Jeanne Liedtka totally demystified the design thinking process, and tools, and made it very accessible. Thank you Coursera, thank you ‎Professor Liedtka.

By VIJAY A S

Feb 17, 2018

It was an excellent course and opened up lot of ideas on Design Thinking. The real time case studies and the way people solved their problems through design thinking is an excellent motivation to take up design thinking seriously

Dr. V. Vijay Anand Sriram

By Ajay M

Oct 21, 2019

It is an excellent course for everyone to bring in innovation and creativity into their work by following certain basic principles and approach. The course is well designed and the assignment really makes you use the learnings holistically. Thank you !!

By Alicia B

Apr 22, 2019

This is a super relevant course across all industries and I really loved the different use cases used as examples. I thought the content and delivery was top notch and really appreciated the feedback shared by my virtual class. Thanks Professor Liedtka!