Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

SP

Aug 15, 2020

Excellent program to learn lots of tools towards Design Thinking !! Thanks a lot! Very interactive and the last activity of completing the assignment was very thought provoking !! thanks to all pears!

LM

Sep 22, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

51 - 75 of 2,404 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Elias B

Jan 7, 2022

Excellent course to learn about the design thinking process and tools applied to maximize the value of Design Thinking. The engaging lectures are complemented through a peer reviewed application assignment to consolidate the learnings.

By Bryan A L J

Sep 20, 2019

el curso es super interesante, son vídeos cortos y se te pasa super rápido el tiempo mirándolos ademas que la estructura de coursera te hace sentir como que vas subiendo de nivel completando objetivos y te animas a seguirle, me gusta :)

By Dovie M C

May 9, 2018

This is a great course and I learned a lot from it. However lectures are already outdated. My suggestion for the University of Virginia is to update their lectures for I saw in one of the clips that the lectures are dated way back 2010.

By Mateo S

May 1, 2020

Excellent course giving a thorough overview of design thinking and how it applies to complex problems. Engaging and well paced modules that go over the different stages of design thinking and some of the key tools to make it practical.

By Thanit I

Feb 4, 2019

I have just finished the course. It is very informative and useful. Even after my completion, I am still coming back to look at the videos to revise what I have learned.

By Sunil K

Nov 11, 2020

Excellent Course! With lots of example, case studies !!

By Andrei M

Sep 19, 2020

Great course! Marvelous speakers and very rich content.

By Alexander B

Jul 20, 2020

Excellent course, I will recommend it to my colleagues.

By Sebastián D C

Jun 2, 2020

It's an excellent course to know about Design Thinking.

By Diana G

Jul 22, 2019

Excellent course, good explanations with real examples!

By Jose J

Feb 7, 2018

Speaks about extremely useful tools in decision making.

By Gabriela W

Mar 7, 2017

Excellent course! It gave me the opportunity to rethink

By Aditya V

Feb 5, 2016

This course is for me because innovation is my concern.

By Sundaresan M R

Jan 29, 2021

EXCELLENT MATERIAL AND VIDEO EXPLANATION. VERY USEFUL.

By Alexandra R

Sep 8, 2016

Great course!

By Jeffrey I

Feb 18, 2021

The final assignment's instructions weren't clear and weren't placed appropriate enough for me to understand what the criteria was in time to provide a compelling final project. Please move instructions into week 4 and not week 5. Very confusing and has affected my final grade.

By Joel S

Dec 8, 2020

Very good teacher and material. Only flaw: The assignment is a joke since your peers will most likely give you a passing score and dont even bother to read your reflection. Which downgrades the credibility of this course imo.

By Paul M

Sep 23, 2019

I'd like to see a lot more content and sequential assignments rather than just one at the end. Getting peer reviews was difficult and I would also appreciate at least one tutor review to add greater credibility to my score.

By Shashank J

Apr 9, 2020

Looks more theoretical.

Overall image seems outdated in terms of video quality.

slides along with running text sync with audio can be more appreciated.

Overall good learning.

By Erick A R A d l S

Jan 8, 2018

In the videos you should apply the visualization tool to explain ideas further, they are purely verbal and can get to be boring. There should be an assignment for each concept to fully understand the design thinking tools.

It is too vague ; The lack of interaction and assignments don't help.

By James K

Dec 27, 2018

Lecturer is un-engaging, very little emotion shown and monotonous, just your run off the mill reading-off teleprompter with a poor background.

Slides look like they were created in one of the earlier version of powerpoint so not engaging

By Sean S

Nov 15, 2017

Could have been better. I learned some of the basics of Design Thinking. The best parts were the Case Studies that were presented. They were interesting and showed the benefit of using Design Thinking. The parts with the most opportunity for improvement were the final exam and cutting out some of the pontificating guests speakers from industry or other schools that really added nothing to the course.

The final exam was not clear to me on the expectations and is really not practical. It was unclear to me whether we were supposed to use a Design Thinking Tool on a problem we were facing, or to share where we used it in the past, or to reflect on how we could have used in the past? Using on a current problem isn't practical, would take too much time, and it would need to be dumbed down to the point no confidential details are being shared. If the assignment was to share where we used in the past, I wouldn't be taking the course as I would already have experience with Design Thinking Tools. I chose to reflect on how I could have used DT tools on a past problem for the final exam. Clarifying the approach in the final exam or changing it completely is recommended.

By Christopher S

Dec 12, 2019

Compared to other classes, it felt like this course never really got off the ground. Each week there was a series of videos- some of them kind of fluff- had senior speakers from top firms but some of the dialog was a bit rudderless and off the cuff or casual. If these speakers are trying to make a point it should be more concise and possibly, where applicable, linked o the course content from that week. It was clear that they wanted us to buy the book. I think the course should have been more hands on and had an activity / task to lose out the week.