Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM

Sep 23, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

CA

Jun 17, 2017

great course , i am grateful to Coursera and everyone at Darden who helped develop this course.\n\ni really enjoyed the course. best wishes to all . keep up the great work!!!! God bless all of you!!!

51 - 75 of 1,310 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By SYED A M F

Feb 04, 2018

In today's competitive world its all the more important to update our knowledge and skill sets to compete against the Young & dynamic next generation managers likely to take over from us..I strongly believe that this platform would help us to learn many new things, ideas, solutions, skills & knowledge which were not been possible in the past.. Its a fantastic opportunity given to me to by our organisation to re brush our ideas and skill set to be learned to be relevant in the job market.

By gemi h

Sep 18, 2019

This is such an amazing course. I can't get enough of this. Apparently, I have been doing versions of this throughout my career and work. I have championed the essence of this but didn't know how to put into an understandable framework for those who couldn't see it. Yes, I hope to take the full course offered by UVA this coming January 2020 :) Thank you Professor Liedtka. Thank you for the work you do and how you teach us to think and reflect on these different yet simple frameworks.

By Ioana C

Mar 05, 2018

It gives a theoretical base for innovation in companies and organizations. I think managers can take a lot of value from this course expecially in knowing how to present the need of innovation and innovative ideas. It is great for people who think they are not creative as you can learn to be creative. I liked a lot that it was clear and short (4/5 weeks) and it gave a good overview over the design thinking process. I can recommend it for anyone working in marketing or development.

By Joël N

Dec 09, 2015

Thanks a lot Jeanne for making available this course on Design Thinking.

It was a clear materialisation of the process for exploring opportunities for innovation.

i also love the slides with great formalisations of some concepts.

Maybe one more thing, it was very useful to have a short overview of previous week at the beginning of a new module. it is coherent with how we manage our MOOC learning behavior, with sometime a lack of time and long periods away from tje course.

Joel.

By Sonia B

Jan 13, 2020

The subject matter is not only interesting, but also very pertinent to our times. The video lectures were engaging and of just the right length. Stories were used to illustrate concepts, which made them easy to understand. Finally, the assignment was very challenging. I have had to work hard at it, revisiting the lectures and the suggested reading. It was worth my time and effort. I am really happy and proud to have earned this certificate.

By Kristian H

Mar 05, 2020

Insightful and relatively concise course that puts the issue of design thinking in a nutshell. The process is explained in a way that is easy to understand and to apply as well. The assessment is indeed helpful in applying all the different tools effectively. I was also pleasantly surprised by the quality of work submitted by peers for review, and I actually learned from their experience as innovation consultants as well. Recommended.

By DENISE

Apr 07, 2020

This course gave me extraordinary tools for the idea generation process; it helped me understand what a real brainstorming session is and, more importantly, it changed my mindset for the way I look at things in my Organization. I will take the tools this course has given me throughout my professional life, and I am sure I will be able to apply them pretty much everywhere. A big THANK YOU to Coursera for making this possible!

By Christopher N

Jun 05, 2020

Having been an exchange student in Denmark and having gone back to Denmark quite a few times, I really enjoyed the information about The Good Kitchen. That alone let me to know that I would enjoy this class. After this class, I believe I will better know when to "run the numbers" and when applying design thinking might be the better avenue. This is a great starting point and I look forward to exploring more.

By Fran V

Jul 03, 2019

Loved this course. Clear, concise and logical. I am myself a designer and this process feels totally natural to me. I presented the Design Thinking concept to my team lead, who was also really keen to utilise it and follow it for our team's design process. Subsequently, we have got permission from our director to implement in our team, which is tasked with innovation within the company. Wins all round!!

By Laurie A K

Mar 08, 2020

Dr. Leitdka's delivery of the course was excellent. Her and her peers presentation of core concepts in the Design Thinking methodology was superior. I learned a great deal via videos, case studies, and examples to have a fundamental understanding of the framework and tools for real-world application. Thanks to Dr. Leitdka and Coursera for permitting access to a great learning experience!

By Amit K

Jan 19, 2019

What i really loved about the course was the real life examples and cases. The Design Thinking tools explained in the course are very practical. Though we apply some of them in real life somewhere or other but the program gave me a very structured approach to apply them. I am sure, if applied properly the tools should be effective and produce desired results. Thank you! it was fun learning.

By Aindril D

Jun 02, 2020

Overall a great course to help understand the various aspects of design thinking and also helped put into perspective and channelize alot of practices that we are already implementing in our daily work environment. The examples of three different organizations implementing the design thinking in different ways to me was the highlight of the course. Thank You Professor for the great course.

By Christian S

Sep 04, 2016

A good introduction into the topic of design thinking.

Even thought the participants only will get real understanding of the material when executing them in real life, as with so many topics that are being sought, this course helps you to understand what is special to design thinking. It helped me to distinguish it from e.g. agile/scrum, and be able to work within a design thinking team.

By Jim S

Mar 28, 2016

Excellent course for business leaders to get a flavour of this concept with some real-world case studies. I'm actually making it a compulsory course for my management team.

Clear presentation style pitched at just the right level with bite sized videos that can be watched offline with the App.

Only improvement would be the addition of some quizzes through the course to test understanding.

By Ankur D

May 07, 2020

Very well crafted course that introduces Design Thinking concepts an their applications with specific and easy to understand examples. The course methodology and module flow inspires curiosity.

There should be a detail module on Mind-mapping tool and its application. Further, some quizzes and case studies would help to reinforce the concepts and tools at the end of every module.

By Muhammad K S

May 22, 2020

Excellent description by Professor Jeanne M. Liedtka. Effective use of so many design tools and being open to situational changes are the key outcomes of the course. I believe this would help us direct our energy towards always having a growth mindset - this would be beneficial personally as well as professionally. Thank you Professor for educating us with your brilliant work.

By Diego S O

This course focuses on getting in love with the problem, the "what is" of any situation to solve. If we all achieve this, all the tools from this course will be essential to properly define a solution and pivot / iterate it if necessary. All the practical and real life examples tie the lessons to existing problems, which make it easy to understand and improve our perspective.

By Chrysavgi P

Apr 12, 2020

This course was a really good opportunity to enhance my knowledge as well as learn how to use different design tools to solve any challenge. Also, the fact that I had the chance to review my peers' assignments gave me the opportunity to see how different people used design thinking to solve the problem. The instructor was very good and all the videos were really helpful.

By Suveen K

Sep 26, 2019

What i loved most about this course

It's short, simple, precise, to the point. This course highlights, repeats and recaps the basics of Innovation and it is done in such a manner that the foundation of innovation gets registered in your mind. I loved everything about it and will recommend people to take this to get their basics right for Design Thinking for Innovation.

By Pierre S

Jan 25, 2017

Cours très intéressant sur la manière de gérer des projets en utilisant le Design Thinking, les explications sont bien faites ainsi que le plan. Les vidéos dédiées aux différents outils avec des intervenants différents et le recours à des exemples concrets apportent beaucoup et facilitent la mise en application des concepts dans les projets personnels/professionnels.

By Ram C

Aug 27, 2019

I Thank the management of coursera to have given me an opportunity to take this course of Design Thinking with financial aid and was able to complete the course before time.

Thanking the team who have assessed my final project submissions and assessment.

This has helped me to revive my career as a future innovator and work with kids in the field of design thinking.

By Daniel E T

Dec 27, 2019

Absolutely phenomenal. This was my first courser course ever taken and I have had within these past couple weeks million dollar ideas flow to my head thanks to my Father and Heaven and the talent and wisdom of these teachers at the Darden School of Business, I approve the value of this course and believe it is one of the best for a beginner. Thanks for everything!

By Mochammad F A

Dec 26, 2019

I am very grateful that find this course. From this course I have different and more rich knowledge about design thinking than other course that I had. I share this design thinking perspective to my colleagues and implement it to my startup company. This course really change my life and bring real positive impact for my life, my business and my innovation journey.

By Geoff S

Dec 29, 2019

A very nice, clear explanation of the principles of Design Thinking. Very useful for business leaders, as well as practitioners (the "makers"). Includes lots of great case studies and methods you can use to "think differently" about solving problems...and, as a result, creating solutions and services that meet (and exceed) your clients and customers needs.

By Susan D

Oct 24, 2019

Excellent course with concepts that can be applied immediately. I thought this course was very well done. The format is excellent with relevant content and intereEach learning segment is broken into small units so learners can watch videos as time permits. I liked the transcript of the video below, which allowed me to go back and review key concepts.