Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

SP
Aug 15, 2020

Excellent program to learn lots of tools towards Design Thinking !! Thanks a lot! Very interactive and the last activity of completing the assignment was very thought provoking !! thanks to all pears!

LM
Sep 22, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

151 - 175 of 2,202 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Coral A

Oct 30, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! It was excellent, logical, thought-provoking, clear, useful and applicable to my work environment. I have already been using so many of the methodologies in my work projects and with clients. I highly recommend this as a short introduction to the principles of design thinking.

By RaviKumar S

Jun 18, 2021

The instructor greatly presented with different situations on how the Design thinking tools could be adopted in the daily challenges we have with our work. The material covered was sufficient and it gives a lot of thought process for us to apply design thinking principles in our day to day challenges we face.

By Pramod K D o M

Jun 15, 2021

"Thank you for a great course. Great presentation style with lots of opportunities to ask questions and talk about real life examples which all made for a really enjoyable and informative course." "This has more than met my expectations." "A wonderfully practical course - both personally and professionally.

By Camilo J C R

Feb 11, 2016

Compelling and interesing course mainly oriented to business and/or management students and workers. It's also complementary knowledge for designers (of any kind) who are looking to manage and direct different communication approaches to specific stakeholders groups in order to develop design applications.

By NATASHA J

Jan 23, 2020

Nice balance in the presentation of the course materials - Although much of the course is listening and paying attention to the course videos and examples if you are serious about Design Thinking, this course provides exceptional details and a rigorous final project to support your growth in the subject.

By Chiranth R

Mar 8, 2021

I like the course a lot... I need to spend time to reinforce my learning.. maybe read a full book. But it certainly has intrigued me enough to learn more... The peer evaluation of cases is a little bit of a letdown..

Didnt get much in terms of meaningful feedback. Hope there is a way to change that.

By Manuel A B A

Mar 7, 2021

This is a short but thought-provoking course that provides insight into design thinking for innovation, the cases of study reflect the essence of the process and what the author wanted to share. It encourages self-reflection and practice from the student's site. Thank you very much for this course!

By Israel L

Nov 22, 2020

Thank you for sharing this short course. I was able to validate some of the design tool that I am currently using. I was also be able to learn a lot of new things and determine what I lack as a manager. I think I have an idea on how can I help my fellow to change our perspective as a test engineer.

By Doreen Z

Sep 24, 2020

The course provides a human-centered, possibility-driven, option-focused, and iterative and solution-based approach to solving problems. I am now more confident in my creative problem-solving abilities. It is a practical tool that we may use to advance our organizations thru innovations. Thank you!

By Md d z

This course introduced me to a new way of thinking. Honestly saying, I have heard about design thinking during my MBA days but this course introduced me to the scope and many possibilities of design thinking and how it can be applied to many conventional problem and not only limited to innovation.

By LUISA V G A

Being in this course was great, learning something new is always exciting to see that sometimes the craziest ideas can be the best, it helps me to be more risky. In my profession area, the most important thing is that people empathize with them and here they emphasized that, it makes me very happy.

By Jacqueline O

Apr 22, 2018

I really appreciated this course.

Jeanne is really interesting and presents the topic in a very appealing way. (I was so much motivated that I bouhgt the book and discussed with colleagues about this MOOC).

It helped me to approach problems in a new way and not hesitating to be confident about it.

By Robert H

Feb 21, 2021

In my opinion Design Thinking is essential for Business Innovation in the modern world. But not only for Business Innovation, it's a perfect tool for a problem-solving approach. The tools of Design Thinking are very well explained and you learn in a practical way how to work with these tools.

By loveleen m

May 7, 2017

There are not many Design Thinking courses available online- and this one is among the best. The graded activity at the end makes you think hard on the application of the DT tools. Reviewing other learners' work also gives one insights into the application of the Design thinking methodology.

By Sidharth R N

Nov 6, 2019

Highly organised and systematic lectures, with a fair share of real life examples and case studies, to give you a really good insight into the practical and theoretical aspects of Design Thinking. I loved being a part of this course, and enjoyed learning something that was totally new to me.

By Mahmudul R

Apr 7, 2021

Excellent course offered from Darden School of Business, University of Virginia. Warm thanks to all the professors who designed this unique course and special thanks to Prof. Jeanne M. Liedtka for her outstanding lecture. Strongly recommended for multidisciplinary experts and professionals.

By Madhavi R

Nov 13, 2020

Thank you for creating a brief introductory course on DT without major assignments. My special thanks to Prof. Jeanne Liedtka for her patient videos and cases. Please consider having small quizzes instead of nothing at all. Please continue the good work. I enjoyed the learning received.

By Stela K

Nov 13, 2019

Very relevant and simple examples to be able to connect day-to-day life with the need and concepts of Design Thinking. The selection of videos is following a logical flow and as the weekly block is split into short video sections it makes it easier to follow and take breaks in between.

By Asebi B

Oct 29, 2018

I am a young Engineering graduate seeking to venture into the Innovation and Entrepreneurship. The lessons in this course were quite simple and easy to comprehend despite my engineering background. Lessons were very practical and I intend to apply them in my future business operations

By Tom T

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you professors, guest speakers, team members for making such great course. I found a new approach to solve my real life problems. I have more confidence in working with innovation projects, and believe I can be creative too as long as I know how to approach & what tools to use.

By Thuraya

May 28, 2016

One of the best courses I have ever attended. I am really impressed with the presentation of the content and the creativity of delivering the ideas. I have purchased the book "GROWTH" from Amazon, to add on what I've already learned in a deeper manner.

Thuraya Al Souli

By Anais C P Q

Aug 13, 2020

Excelente contenido y forma de organizar el curso. Posee herramientas que quizás hayamos escuchado antes pero el desarrollo de las mismas y la forma de ejecutarlas y organizarlas para obtener un resultado o resolver un problema, es lo que se aprende con el diseño de pensamiento.

By Shubham S

Jul 16, 2020

Great course! A lot of intricate details that are generally missed out when making decisions are conceptualized and delivered in a really simple and interactive manner. This course would definitely help me see things from different perspectives and help me take better decisions.

By Alexandra S

Sep 13, 2017

Most inspiring! I was so excited about many of the topics and tools and examples, that right now, day and night, my mind comes up with quotes from the course and ideas where to apply and test what I learned there, determined to use every opportunity I have to use this framework.

By Zac W

Aug 10, 2016

Very good introduction to design thinking. Provides some useful tools that I have already used in my personal and professional projects and will continue to use in the future. Every video lesson was well done and tied the overall theme into the content well. Highly recommended!