Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM

Sep 23, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

CA

Jun 17, 2017

great course , i am grateful to Coursera and everyone at Darden who helped develop this course.\n\ni really enjoyed the course. best wishes to all . keep up the great work!!!! God bless all of you!!!

926 - 948 of 948 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Shrinivas

Dec 01, 2019

The course, although is good for anyone who wants to take a step towards design thinking, but more examples, theory and detailing can make it better and help us retain and apply the learnings.

By Arren A

Oct 28, 2019

No supplemental materials like PDF and downloadable illustrations in image format

By Laurova A

Mar 07, 2019

Ставлю 3 только потому, что не могу его завершить.

By Sami H

Jul 21, 2017

I needed good knowledge in deep of the different phases tools and workshops to be able to run them myself. This course is only an introduction + companies examples that sometimes are not bringing value to the course. A bit disappointed !

By Kursad Y

Nov 23, 2017

I did not find videos appealing. The course was boring and not interesting. Although I do like the Design Thinking approach I did not enjoy this class.

By Eduardo M

Jan 25, 2017

The topic is really good, but the course does not cover the tools or methodology detailed enough. It is too high level and not many examples or assignments.

By Tyler A

Sep 15, 2016

I can't say I really enjoyed this 5 week course. The flow itself was more like "food for thought" where a bunch of ideas are presented as sort of an intellectual gymnastics exercise with no point really. By week 5 you are just plain bored. The content wasn't concise enough. It could have easily been a 4 week course or even shorter had they not tried to belabor each topic. It all was too high level and never really got down enough to earth. I have done other courses on the same topic which were better put together.

By Sean S

Nov 15, 2017

Could have been better. I learned some of the basics of Design Thinking. The best parts were the Case Studies that were presented. They were interesting and showed the benefit of using Design Thinking. The parts with the most opportunity for improvement were the final exam and cutting out some of the pontificating guests speakers from industry or other schools that really added nothing to the course.

The final exam was not clear to me on the expectations and is really not practical. It was unclear to me whether we were supposed to use a Design Thinking Tool on a problem we were facing, or to share where we used it in the past, or to reflect on how we could have used in the past? Using on a current problem isn't practical, would take too much time, and it would need to be dumbed down to the point no confidential details are being shared. If the assignment was to share where we used in the past, I wouldn't be taking the course as I would already have experience with Design Thinking Tools. I chose to reflect on how I could have used DT tools on a past problem for the final exam. Clarifying the approach in the final exam or changing it completely is recommended.

By Justine J X K

Feb 20, 2018

I expected it to have more slides / content than videos of talks.

By Vellanki S

Jun 25, 2018

It is not even a proper introduction course covering the various tools available for design thinking. Need to improve on the breadth and depth of the course in order to make the course useful or enable the students to apply Design thinking in real life scenarios.

By Anurag J

Jul 13, 2017

I did learn something, but it was a very very high level introduction to design thinking. The examples of the application the tools were not very easy to understand and the final assignment assumed that everyone would have applied design thinking tool in their work.

By Melanie R

Oct 03, 2017

I thought that the course was helpful in learning about the concept of design thinking, but it was all theoretical. I didn't feel that there was much participant engagement, and I find this to be an outside motivator that is helpful to me in online courses. Theory wise, I thoroughly enjoyed the class, I would just wish for higher engagement.

By Sushanth K V

Oct 31, 2016

More clear examples needed to make concepts clear

By Miranda L

Nov 02, 2017

Good introduction to the topic but there are no hands on assignments to help you build skills. The capstone project is a reflection paper.

By Ignacio R G

Sep 06, 2017

The concepts presented are interesting however the exercises / homework is not very useful to understand and correctly implement the work.

By Jurgen O

Sep 11, 2017

Only a very basic and general introduction to Design Thinking

By Federico C

Aug 14, 2019

Good Step description, poor description of tools, no testing at all.

It should be more hands on, and may be more practical. Some videos were too long. No quizzes for following up and capstone was really poor.

Reading the book is way more useful than attending this course.

Week 4 learning launch class was the best one.

By Mahdi J

Sep 30, 2019

I think the course material needs a more innovative approach. it was kinda boring to just listen to a solo speaker talks about innovation. this course definitely can use some of the material covered here to improve the flow of lectures.

By Felipe S d B

Nov 09, 2016

muito bla bla bla, pouco resultado, pouca comprovacão de funcionamento.

By Marius L

Aug 12, 2016

This course is basically about watching uninspiring videos. It needs a lot of design thinking itself.

I have bought the book however. It is really useful.

By Xavi C

Nov 26, 2018

I'm very disappointed about this "course". It's not a course, it's a little briefing of Design Thinking.

No in mind learn something or work in it. Just some ideas.

Maybe they want to you enroll in master or buy their books. I don't know but good for know in start before you enroll.

Moreover, you cannot send you work if you don't pay. Certificate of participation is not posible.

By Marshall S

Aug 26, 2019

this is the 4th class i've taken that was issued through UVA Darden school and i really question anyone who's credentials come from this school. While the examples were fun to see, as a business consultant who has some exposure to design thinking, this class didnt touch on the process at all! I do not feel my knowledge and understanding is any better now than it was when i started.

By Laura P

Dec 07, 2019

Independently from getting a official certificate or not, you can only fully finish the course if you pay the official certificate. Achieving a goal should not confront with paying any amount of money. Definitely disappointing.