Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM

Sep 23, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

RB

Sep 15, 2020

Very well explained with lots of practical examples - would highly recommend this course to anyone looking at getting an initial understanding of design thinking and how it can be applied practically.

1426 - 1450 of 1,774 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Ola-lawal M

Jul 26, 2020

I really appreciate the lecturer efforts on the insight and examples given, which is a collaborative effort on our different people solved their problem, through mind mapping, learning launch, story telling and virtualization.

By Mario M R

Aug 30, 2017

The course gives a very good introduction on some tools that can be applied to new designs and even problem solving methods. Evaluation lacks a little depth to actually measure the new knowledge, but somehow promotes peer participation.

By Michael L

Jan 12, 2016

The lectures where nice, but the course was too short, the last exam was not quite good. As i have no chance to try out all these techniques at work, I had trouble to remember where I had to use something similar. Was lucky to find one

By AMEYA K

Jun 07, 2020

The overall course content was amazing. But as the length of some videos was more than 10 minutes, I believe it would be better to introduce a small quiz in the middle so as to increase students engagement during the entire video.

By Ajinkya Prakashrao P

May 01, 2020

Methodology and quality of the content is really good. I would like to see some creative quizzes, pictures. small animated videos in the content and small assignments which would make the course even more interesting and engaging.

By Lautaro L

Feb 12, 2019

Aprendí herramientas que me permiten pensar de manera diferente sobre los problemas y oportunidades que se me presentan. Además, la disciplina y la organización son necesarias para generar soluciones creativas. ¡Es recomendado!

By Dhairya A

Jun 01, 2019

I wanted the course to be more practical and learning oriented. Overall course and the faculty were great. The visiting teachers who taught about the tools were outstanding. Hope that the lessons learnt come handy in future.

By Abrar

Nov 10, 2017

Professor Jeanne M. Liedtka is such an Amazing speaker. I loved the course content. As a student, I had a little trouble getting some of the concepts into context. I think it's a fantastic course specially for professionals.

By Catherine B

Nov 21, 2019

The lectures and examples were interesting but the feedback received through the peer-review of the assignment wasn't very useful - it was a bit disappointing to receive generic feedback after putting effort in the paper.

By Rachel A

Nov 08, 2017

Extremely eye-opening course into understanding how to deal with issues that arise at work involving huge teams... I especially gained a deeper understanding into the various tools: visualization, mind-mapping, and so on.

By Alessandro G

Oct 16, 2019

Good course, inspirational. Even if it's just an overview of design thinking and a very basic course i would have appreciated some further explanation about the tools used e some practical exercise to do in the meanwhile

By Kenyatta D B

May 04, 2020

The course was great and it was my first peer review course. I am not sure if I would take another one because of my learning style. I liked the content and will continue to learn about Design Thinking for Innovation.

By VEERABABU N

Apr 25, 2020

I get great knowledge from this course during this period. I am so inspired about that in every field like mind mapping, story telling, visualization etc we apply to daily life style to lead our lives in every moment

By Manuela D

Apr 22, 2020

The videos and explanations are all very interesting and compelling. I would have appreciated to have more hands-on and practical work to do. Also, the instructions for the final assignment were not very clear to me.

By Aakash H

Jul 11, 2018

The course explains the Design Thinking principle very well, focusing more on the Empathy stage. The examples mentioned are really practical, especially the IBM story.The templates and tools coverage should be more

By Nirbhay J

May 05, 2018

The course could have been a little more extensive and the assignments could have been a little more involved asking to do regular day to day activities trying to incorporate a bit of design thinking along the way.

By Nabony P

Sep 21, 2020

It would be helpful if there were some videos on real-life implementation of the design tools taught here. Now the videos on the design tools are very generic, especially those of storytelling and mind mapping.

By Soumik D

Jun 23, 2020

Very well structured and brief course. This course will help you understand the basics of design learning and will help you utilize the design thinking tools in your day to day life in solving problems

By Marc R L

Jun 14, 2017

Good and easy to understand course. Design Thinking is a key methodology in Business nowadays. This course presents the key concepts and introduces you to the methodology through easy going lectures.

By LeeAnn P

Dec 03, 2015

This is a good class to get insights on the creative process and to add tools into your toolbox for developing ideas and how to potentially form a great idea from a challenge by providing a solution.

By Luisa Z

Course is great. The case studies and mix of different teaching methodologies help. some of the content and one case study in particular seems outdated (2013?). The business does not exist anymore.

By Ignacio C

Apr 11, 2020

Thanks with all my heart. This training will help me in my new role as Ambassador of Innovation in an important international business group where I work. Looking forward to starting a new course.

By Diego C A

Jan 08, 2020

The course is good to get an initial approach about design thinking and its applications. Is important update the course with more cases that involves the current scenarios of the organizations.

By Yogesh G K

Sep 25, 2019

Good Course ! I liked the way instructor has provided the instructions along with the presentation. The only reason why It's 4 start, that I was looking for some training material to download :)

By Larry J

Jul 04, 2020

Good course; really stretched one's mind. I think leaving the assignment to the end made it a bit of a challenge - I might highlight this requirement early on so people know what to expect.