Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

LK

Jun 25, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

SG

May 22, 2020

It was a really wonderful and structured course for Product Managers. There are many techniques which I didn't know and can use now to my product. Recommended course for all type of Product Managers.

76 - 100 of 634 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Karl M

Sep 13, 2017

This course was a helpful overview of modern ideas and practices within product development. I enjoyed the way the course is broken out into short videos, infographics, practical examples, and real-life interviews throughout; quick and to the point. I am excited to try to apply some of the concepts I have learned in this course. Thanks Alex!

By Scott S

May 23, 2018

This course was well constructed and planned to provide a great story about Product Management. I was able to come to the realization that, even though I have not held the role of Product Manager officially, I have performed many of the duties of a PM. This will provide me with confidence and more detailed approaches to my future PM roles.

By Arvind T

Jun 23, 2020

A well-structured program for practictioners by a seasoned practitioner himself. Alex Cowan's dedication to the subject comes through in his lectures and interviews. I have done several other PM programs but none of them went deep into the real-life situations and case-studies as this course has. So thanks for that Alex and Team Coursera!

By Man C

Nov 11, 2019

the course is informative enough regarding how to efficiently manage your product in a modern and agile approach which is not limited to digital product. useful course materials covering product development, team management and tools together with interviews that helps a lot in getting to know real business case. will recommend to others.

By Heather H

May 31, 2018

Great information and refresher for the experienced product manager. I especially enjoyed the recommendations for more effective meetings as well as the perspectives on the different types of businesses and product managers. My role is extremely all over the place so the recommendations will help me put some organization to the chaos!

By Luis A M R

Jul 22, 2020

A great perspective of what a product manager represents, methodologies that are currently applied, such as understanding the various stakeholders that make up your team and allow the development of a better product.

It is a great course, it addresses too many topics and many perspectives, some deeper than others, highly recommended.

By Prapti R

Jul 23, 2017

Brilliant course. The emphasis on running experiments to test for motivation (building MVPs) and take those validated learnings to multiple teams was my strongest take away. I am a new/ aspiring PM (wanting to move from PMM), this course really helps me with focus and lens as to how i should look at the product development process

By Vitor D K

Mar 13, 2019

Recommended for those interested in learning how to build a product or startup from scratch, leveraging the most updated entrepreneurship and product management theories. Very structured way to developing a product (either in a product or startup team). Tools and frameworks are relevant and explained in an easy-to-follow way.

By Urs B

Feb 29, 2020

Thanks for a great course allowing me to understand the overall product management process in a simple and effective way. I was able to do the course in just about 9 days because of available capacity.

Happily recommending this course to anyone who wants to get a quick and solid understanding of agile product management.

By Mohsen A

In this course, Professor Cowan manages to cover in detail a variety of topics ranging from product/market fit to CI/CD, and how PMs in the modern digital era will need to iterate through these subject areas, apply best practices and learn to find the optimum intersection of desirability, feasibility and viability.

By Sachin P

Mar 07, 2020

The curriculum of the course is very close to how we follow agile product development in our day to day work. I learned some key theoretical aspects of agile PD, which should help me to be more probing and articulate in my discussions, analysis and documentation in current and future software features I develop.

By Christopher C

Feb 11, 2019

This course is exactly what I needed. We have just adopted Product Management after implementing agile development and project management. Product Managers are new to our organization and I on;y wish I had taken this course at the beginning of our journey, not 8 months in. We have so much low hanging fruit.

By Alex V

Dec 15, 2018

Great course. As a principal and business development leader in my firm, product management has become an unexpected requirement for me to assist in pushing forward the success of my organization.

This program has delivered the perspective and foundation that I will need to take my skillsets to the next level.

By Søren V

Mar 04, 2020

Really good course. Concise yet with lot's of good topics covered at introductory level. Personally I found the topics on how to approach initial product building (staging the discovery processes) vs growth of existing products, the business model canvas and introduction to managing user behavior most useful

By Salomon K

Aug 21, 2019

Great course to gain an understanding about what product management is about, especially if you don't come from a product background. It likely doesn't give you the required knowledge to apply for a product management job, but it definitely teaches you the language and mindset to be conversant on the topic.

By Shantanu B

Apr 06, 2019

I am a senior dev guy who needed a good product perspective. This course definitely served that purpose. On top of that it made me really find interest in this new function. It will definitely make the job of working with product teams easier for me. I think Alex did a great job of teaching this course.

By Syed O

Jun 17, 2020

Amazing! I have had 8 years of PM experience, and this was a breath of fresh air. Not only were there new concepts, but also the fact that it helps you understand PM from many different perspectives like startup, beginner, mature. HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you are trying to get into PM or want to learn more.

By Ajay k

May 07, 2020

I explored this course to understand whether Product Management is actually what I think it is and I heard a resounding "Yes". Alex was great in putting all the concepts in a simple and clear way. I also enjoyed the videos where Alex's interacted with the product managers currently in the industry.

By Cynthia A d M

Dec 04, 2019

A coesive introduction to new frameworks and tools for digital product management.

Great exploration of PM`s role and how you should play along with other areas of expertise.

It was a refreshig experience to review my knowledge and to learn new perspectives and aproaches to managing digital products.

By Yeimi P

Jul 29, 2020

The course is useful, clear, and complete. Thanks for the explicit explanations as well as the description of the tools used as a Product Manager. It was very interesting to listen the different experts and PMs from different industries, their pieces of advice are fundamental for my knowledge.

By Mateus Q

Nov 17, 2019

Highly recommended!

Being a software engineer, I'm usually focused on the technical aspects of the development and not so much on how the business is structured around the product. This course gave me some new tools and skills to help me see product development from a different angle!

By Ignas

Mar 21, 2020

Great course, many relevant frameworks to sharpen the positioning of the product manager in an organization and better manage product-related outcome expectations from various stakeholders. Separation of PM for new products vs. improvement of existing products also extremely helpful.

By Krishan M

Apr 17, 2019

Excellent course for existing product manager or aspiring product manager. Very useful for entrepreneurs. A large number of startups fail due to not having a clear understanding of the customer needs and this course has very detailed, action oriented approach to achieve this aspect.

By Vijayvenkatesh S

Mar 31, 2020

This course has a very nice blend of latest PM practices including Data science, design thinking and Agile. The examples are very insightful and having Enable Quiz case study run through entire set of topics is very useful. Thank you Alex Cowan for very wonderful insights.

By Priyank A

Jan 17, 2019

This course is blessing. Professor Alex has put a very informative course. To give a particular example, the business model canvas is super efficient over pages long B-Plans. Even though I don't write a B-Plan but I do have read them and I can already see its effectiveness.