Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

LK
Jun 24, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

RA
Feb 15, 2020

The course delievers a lot of knowledge, strategy and tools for product managers. You will finish the course with many ideas and tools to implement and have more success in your company. Great course!

676 - 700 of 819 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Gabriel G

Jun 5, 2020

It was a nice overview and refresher for the PM role. It is relatively high-level, but hey, it's a 101 course. I wish the roadmap part was a bit more practical, with examples and such. Executives often ask for roadmaps, and there are ways to create good ones without having specific dates and features, which I think is the wrong way to build roadmaps.

By Mahdi S

Jul 20, 2020

It is an indeed rich course to take. Challenging and having a deep view of the topic. I suppose the presentations could help more, adding more clarity of the content and also the quiz parts could be less subjective. I strongly recommend taking this course if you need to challenge what you have known so far.

By Mau B

Jun 8, 2020

Its' great and flows quickly. It's kind of basic but ALex gives a lot (A LOT!!!) of resources for you to explore beyond the course. There's not much of a "practical" part of the course it's mostly theory so you have to go out and tryit for yourself or commit to the external resources to keep lerning.

By Andy M

Oct 18, 2019

Good course, with a great grounding with - as advertised - the 'fundamentals' of product management. It would be nice, as others said, to have more hands-on examples or applications given, but if you are able to translate the concepts and learnings into your daily work, then it's well worthwhile.

By ravi t s

Jul 1, 2020

Hi,

I really like this course learning fundamentals of product management and interviews with industry experts in product management and their views are quite resourceful and insightful for aspiring PMs.

Thanks everyone for making this journey very useful. Wish you all happy learning..

Ravi

By Kanwar.d S

Jun 3, 2019

This course was super helpful and I learned a lot of new techniques for new product development and adding features to existing products from a product manager's perspective. I will be trying to apply these in my job incrementally and I hope to achieve a lot of value out of these.

By Shaashwath V

Jul 4, 2020

The course is very modular and brushes upon exactly what the title says: Fundamentals. It's perfect for newbies who are entering into the Product Management fields and also for existing product managers who are looking for upping their skills and knowledge with the latest trends.

By KESHAV B

The course was excellent. I loved it. I think we should be given some time to think about how things apply on the demo companies used to demonstrate the models before getting told. I also think that the practicality should be increased so that aspiring students get a hands-on,

By Piyush M

Jan 8, 2020

Good overview of subject matter. Provides sufficient coverage to get started for deep dives. Content is well organized, although week 4 is stretched thin, trying to cover too many topics. Students will also benefit from detailed discussions of selected PM tools.

By Amed E

Sep 7, 2020

Very good explanation of the fundamentals. Don't know if I missed this, but much of the contents of this course can be summarized in visuals such as charts, that would've been an awesome resource to have since there are so many tools, techniques and frameworks.

By Michael O

Jul 22, 2020

I had an amazing time going through the notes and grasping new knowledge. Anyways there were typographical errors on the notes/scripts (possibly during transcribing. I can also help transcribe notes and discover errors). Thank you for an amazing experience!!

By Ulises M M

Jun 1, 2020

Great introductory course from Alex Cowan! I am a junior PM and I found very useful some of the concepts that I learned here. One of the most valuable insights were from the interviews from other PM's. I wish they had more in depth and extensive interviews.

By Anindita M P

Jun 10, 2019

Could have been much better if the contents were organized in a more structured way. It was great to know a lot of thing for a product manager. but a Structured diagrams sometimes acts like a memory refresher to implement these into real life

By Mojuste E

Sep 11, 2020

Excellent course to get a holistic approach of Product Management. The Teacher is great and i found interviews with PMs very insightful.

Anyway, I have the feeling that some concepts needed deeper explanation (business model types...)

By Jonathan T

Jan 8, 2019

It would be great to see more interactivity in some way to allow the learner a chance to apply the content learned before moving on. The course was great and included tons of great info and resources that I intend to reflect back on.

By Harshal S

Feb 4, 2019

This course will provide you the skeleton for setting up your product team and their cross-functional interaction. Enough corroboration of business models and frameworks by industry professionals who are trusting those methods.

By Yan N

Sep 22, 2019

I am great thankful for the whole course, i really liked that you have invited famous different people to participate in your own lessons and teach us new practical things in the real life from their personal perspectives.

By Prabal T

Mar 15, 2020

The course is really fascinating and helped me to take a observe my working methodologies. New better ways to implement stories, understanding users, using canvas to understand dynamics of a product offering and much more.

By Dmitri T

Aug 21, 2017

I found this course to be a great introduction to the principles of product management. The only thing I need for it to be better is to introduce a hands on mock project to help solidify the concepts and tools learned.

By Rudra R C

Oct 12, 2020

this was indeed one of the most fabulous comprehensive course I have come across; for me personally the segments where business models came in was where I gained good perspective on an org's functioning and strategy

By Benjamin B

Aug 17, 2020

Great course! Room for improvement are the pdf slides. They do not always reflect what the professor noted down as well all steps of the animation are on separate slides. It almost triplicates the number of slides.

By Raju m

Mar 24, 2020

Some of the material and conversations only gaze upon the concept rather than detailed explaination. Otherwise the course is good to have basic understanding of product manager's role and how he can perform better.

By Oluwatomiwa O

Jul 23, 2020

It's a very wonderful course and I enjoyed every bit of it. In the future I would prefer a less traditional mode of teaching; less of lecture style and more practical ways. The interviews were a good touch though.

By Theophilus N

Nov 11, 2020

I'm so happy to receive this certificate in Digital Product Management Modern Fundamentals and with the skill acquire, it will enable me to improve my working ability at my jobsite. Thanks a lot

By Alexander L

Jun 12, 2019

Weeks 2-4 were great; week 1 was more tedious (I found). The class does provide useful tools throughout the weeks and also equips the learner with appropriate terminology tp use with management.