Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

LK
Jun 24, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

RA
Feb 15, 2020

The course delievers a lot of knowledge, strategy and tools for product managers. You will finish the course with many ideas and tools to implement and have more success in your company. Great course!

76 - 100 of 825 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Jay B

Jan 26, 2019

Consumable, yet comprehensive, and extremely actionable. Especially when paired with the resources and venture design website. Hate to say it, but probably more tangibly valuable than any of my MBA courses. I also used some of the material for "what is your thought process" type questions in an DPM interview, and the interviewees were blown a way.

By Shankar T

Apr 6, 2020

Alex Cowan has put a detailed prospective of product management role in well balanced and detailed concept and good tools for us to use during our lifecycle as product manager. Some live examples from different industries was a very good insight on how these are implemented on ground. Thank you for all the insights on Digital product management.

By Mayank M

Dec 11, 2019

The course covers a wide array of topics. The focus is on the breadth of coverage, not too deep into one path. The takeaways are very relevant to practitioners. PM's with vast experience or a very niche category might not relate to some of the content, regardless, highly recommend. I will go back and watch a few video's again from time to time

By Haitham G

Mar 3, 2019

This course has solidified and gave structure to some mental yardsticks I have had about product management. It also introduced me a variety of new tools, concepts and information that are instrumental to product management. The information delivered might seem a lot to take in initially but after a few weeks, it all start to connect together.

By Karl M

Sep 13, 2017

This course was a helpful overview of modern ideas and practices within product development. I enjoyed the way the course is broken out into short videos, infographics, practical examples, and real-life interviews throughout; quick and to the point. I am excited to try to apply some of the concepts I have learned in this course. Thanks Alex!

By Scott S

May 23, 2018

This course was well constructed and planned to provide a great story about Product Management. I was able to come to the realization that, even though I have not held the role of Product Manager officially, I have performed many of the duties of a PM. This will provide me with confidence and more detailed approaches to my future PM roles.

By Arvind T

Jun 23, 2020

A well-structured program for practictioners by a seasoned practitioner himself. Alex Cowan's dedication to the subject comes through in his lectures and interviews. I have done several other PM programs but none of them went deep into the real-life situations and case-studies as this course has. So thanks for that Alex and Team Coursera!

By Man C

Nov 10, 2019

the course is informative enough regarding how to efficiently manage your product in a modern and agile approach which is not limited to digital product. useful course materials covering product development, team management and tools together with interviews that helps a lot in getting to know real business case. will recommend to others.

By Sahil D

Nov 20, 2020

Very useful to understand the basics which I can readily apply to the new experience on my professional front. Alex has shared a variety of tools and techniques in this course which is definitely going to enable us to analyze any given situation from different standpoints.

Alex, thank you for this wonderful course. Really appreciate it.

By Heather H

May 30, 2018

Great information and refresher for the experienced product manager. I especially enjoyed the recommendations for more effective meetings as well as the perspectives on the different types of businesses and product managers. My role is extremely all over the place so the recommendations will help me put some organization to the chaos!

By Luis A M R

Jul 22, 2020

A great perspective of what a product manager represents, methodologies that are currently applied, such as understanding the various stakeholders that make up your team and allow the development of a better product.

It is a great course, it addresses too many topics and many perspectives, some deeper than others, highly recommended.

By Lowell V

Aug 26, 2020

A great way to review the basics of Product Management. If you've been practitioner of this discipline, this course allows you to discover new 'tools' or course correct a wrong notions. For example. this course has shown me a different definition of MVP, and the value of concierge prototyping and the release of a 'fake feature'.

By Prapti R

Jul 23, 2017

Brilliant course. The emphasis on running experiments to test for motivation (building MVPs) and take those validated learnings to multiple teams was my strongest take away. I am a new/ aspiring PM (wanting to move from PMM), this course really helps me with focus and lens as to how i should look at the product development process

By Vitor D K

Mar 13, 2019

Recommended for those interested in learning how to build a product or startup from scratch, leveraging the most updated entrepreneurship and product management theories. Very structured way to developing a product (either in a product or startup team). Tools and frameworks are relevant and explained in an easy-to-follow way.

By Urs B

Feb 29, 2020

Thanks for a great course allowing me to understand the overall product management process in a simple and effective way. I was able to do the course in just about 9 days because of available capacity.

Happily recommending this course to anyone who wants to get a quick and solid understanding of agile product management.

By Archil M

Oct 11, 2020

Very useful course for beginners to get a notion of efficient Product management in general. With a lot of implications for digital product management. The language in which the course is run should be understandable, clear, and simple. I surely recommend to everyone - there are a lot of things to take from this course!

By Adam B

Oct 9, 2020

Great class. Alex is a great teacher with a high level of energy which keeps you engaged throughout. Great guests that provide some incredible real world insight. I learned a great deal and this course has stoked my desire to continue learning about all of the different nuances of Product Management.

Thank you Alex!

By Mohsen A

Jun 21, 2020

In this course, Professor Cowan manages to cover in detail a variety of topics ranging from product/market fit to CI/CD, and how PMs in the modern digital era will need to iterate through these subject areas, apply best practices and learn to find the optimum intersection of desirability, feasibility and viability.

By Sachin P

Mar 7, 2020

The curriculum of the course is very close to how we follow agile product development in our day to day work. I learned some key theoretical aspects of agile PD, which should help me to be more probing and articulate in my discussions, analysis and documentation in current and future software features I develop.

By Andrey Z

Sep 21, 2020

Very well structured with tons of extra material and opinions from real industry experts.

It does make sense to take the whole specialization since it will be an easier education process (most of the courses are interdependent) and it can make a well rounded professional out of anyone.

Thanks, Alex! Great course!

By Christopher C

Feb 10, 2019

This course is exactly what I needed. We have just adopted Product Management after implementing agile development and project management. Product Managers are new to our organization and I on;y wish I had taken this course at the beginning of our journey, not 8 months in. We have so much low hanging fruit.

By Alex V

Dec 15, 2018

Great course. As a principal and business development leader in my firm, product management has become an unexpected requirement for me to assist in pushing forward the success of my organization.

This program has delivered the perspective and foundation that I will need to take my skillsets to the next level.

By Филиппова А В

Aug 12, 2020

Thank you, Alex! A wonderful set of useful frameworks & structure! Provides both prectical advise and perspective into profession. It was genuinely interesting. And very nice way to present, interviewing experts and ask questions. Love it. I even came up with ideas - not always happens to me after courses =)

By Søren V

Mar 4, 2020

Really good course. Concise yet with lot's of good topics covered at introductory level. Personally I found the topics on how to approach initial product building (staging the discovery processes) vs growth of existing products, the business model canvas and introduction to managing user behavior most useful

By Salomon K

Aug 21, 2019

Great course to gain an understanding about what product management is about, especially if you don't come from a product background. It likely doesn't give you the required knowledge to apply for a product management job, but it definitely teaches you the language and mindset to be conversant on the topic.