Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

LK

Jun 24, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

SG

It was a really wonderful and structured course for Product Managers. There are many techniques which I didn't know and can use now to my product. Recommended course for all type of Product Managers.

1176 - 1200 of 1,214 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Anurag M

Mar 20, 2018

The course exposed me to various frameworks available to help product managers organize themselves in their work and keep focused on the right things. Would have wished if it went deeper and showed how some concepts can be really applied. I did not get time to internalize the tools. I did understand them as I went along the course and did the quizzes.

Also, the Professor was MIA on the discussion forums. I found little meaningful discussion going on there. The experience with the Design Thinking course was better.

By Robyn K

Jul 27, 2020

Some content not explained that well. A bit confusing. The quiz questions are really abstract and don't necessarily test our understanding well. Many times there were 2-3 "correct" answers, but they were looking for a particular one without giving enough context.

While useful, the business model canvas was not explained in enough detail. I felt like it was glossed over. A proper introduction to this in the beginning of the course would help with context.

Otherwise, learnt a lot, and helpful course.

By Lucy A

Nov 23, 2020

I learned a couple of helpful frameworks. Cowan seemed like a friendly guy who provided good peer-to-peer influencing tips. As someone at a high-growth SaaS company, I didn't feel that all of this was super relevant - I think it's just quite different managing a physical product vs. software.

By Linus K

Nov 6, 2020

Good information, but it felt a bit unstructured with topics jumping from one to the next a bit back and forth. Also, tests were not great as many alternatives made no sense to the questions asked, so you could easily ignore at least 50% of the answers to each question.

By Tajjammul H

Dec 20, 2021

A useful introductory course. There is scope for improving quality of examples, test questions and more importantly interviews ( there is big difference compared to the insights derived from the interviews in Digital Transformation Module by BCG)

By Ryan A

Nov 22, 2020

There were a few useful topics (HOOKS framework, Customer Discovery ideas), but a vast majority of the information is vague. The best use I got out of this course is googling the important topics and reading articles about them.

By Barath J

Sep 18, 2021

I am a PM with 5 years of solid experience. Did I learn something new? Of course! But, felt the instructor rushes through the course and keep things at very high level. Overall the course is kind of okay.

By Siji G

Mar 5, 2018

This is definitely a good course for a newbie, however as I was parallel looking at other content I see that this course may need a refresher and more practice sessions to make it better

By Shikhar J

Nov 6, 2018

While I like the course, i feel it doesn't go deep into anything. I would have liked it better if we went deeper to sections like analytics, product planning, market analysis etc.

Feb 17, 2021

The structure is not so helpful, the moderator is with the examples not helpful, this course take a lot energy.

By George D

Mar 13, 2020

course is great but mentor need more reality facts form real business life, use famous companies real cases.

By Cole Y

Sep 27, 2020

The quizzes are poorly written and instructor is very biased towards methodologies he created.

By Gabriel B D

Jul 19, 2020

apresenta o básico sobre Product Management. Bom para quem está começando ou quer começar

By Alexandre A

I'd appreciate more detailed content and how to use the tools and less interviews

By Olivia K

Oct 22, 2018

This is a pretty high level overview for anyone curious about product management.

By Syed T N

Aug 14, 2020

The quizzes were extremely tough and often, questions made no sense

By akshaya s

Dec 1, 2020

Thank you sir , for making this course really interesting .

By Parul G

May 2, 2021

Need practical exmaples , its all theory

By Jenny C U m

Sep 19, 2020

No tiene subtitulo en español.

By Philip P

Dec 23, 2019

Its ok

By Jacqueline P

Nov 14, 2020

The lecturer is a bit of a scatter brain with concepts, going back and forth with concepts. I would rather clear dot-points on the power-points that explain the concepts in typed text words rather than long verbal descriptions with messy scribbling over slides that constantly come on and off the screen (just have the slide, actual key concepts written and then we can listen to you waffle on, i don't need to see you talking - I need to see the slide!).

The concepts are not at all difficult but when given in a disjointed manner and having to constantly refer to other topics is very annoying when they could have been presented in a more logical manner. I get the feeling the lecturer is more interested in himself talking and playing teacher (like my niece who likes to talk to her teddies and scribble on a whiteboard) than teaching the content.

By Neeraja V

May 25, 2021

Too much text, to much theory and lots of tools. Felt difficulty in following the course. Need to be so cautious. Exhaustive with too many videos and questions in the last. The Digital Transformation and Design thinking was awesome and i was able to follow. Customer centric and Digital product mgmt is very heavy to learn and follow and keep track on the concepts. Just pushing myself hard to understand since i paid for this course. But i was happy with Digital transformation and Design thinking.