Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

LK
Jun 24, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

SG

It was a really wonderful and structured course for Product Managers. There are many techniques which I didn't know and can use now to my product. Recommended course for all type of Product Managers.

76 - 100 of 1,102 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Ravi V

Mar 8, 2020

All the information provide in the course is beneficial to any aspiring or current product manager. One unique part of this course is the interviews with special guest (Darden Alums) that relate the subject matter to their current roles. I’m so excited and thankful for Alex sharing his insight on this topic and look forward to taking more classes instructed by him.

By Sampath k

May 30, 2019

This course gave me a very clear mental model of what a PM should do. It was very interesting throughout. Every week i learned something new, i unlearned something i though i knew.

The icing on the cake is this course will not only make you a PM but also an entrepreneur. It is balanced towards both enterprise and statup world

Thanks Alex for such a wonderful course.

By Jennifer E

Jun 15, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have taken at Coursera and I have taken over 25-30. It covers practical product management, and supplied the student with actual tools and references to achieve the process. The professor has pulled material from cutting edge books and practitioners to craft a product management workflow/lifecycle that is actionable. Thank you sir!

By Maria A D K

Jun 15, 2020

Thank you so much for having me here as a learner. I really appreciated how the topic being discussed. It is helping me to understand more about the role of Product Manager and was able to hear some speakers giving out their tips and advice from their experience! Looking forward to learning more things for my next course! More power to Coursera. God bless you all!

By Alexandre M

Jul 13, 2020

Nice course, gives a broad with of Agile and modern way to address product management.

The interviews are really helpful as well as they give different views from different PM.

It would have been good to provide more self-contained slides, a lot happens on the videos and it is impossible to take notes, the slides are nice but will not help to go back to the content

By Vishal V

Mar 23, 2021

Very good introduction with good detail about Product Management. This is especially useful for people who have been working on traditional software and need to understand the way digital products can be built.

This helped me to get a perspective about the options of integrating digital products and the associated methodologies to a more traditional architecture.

By Samuel P

Mar 27, 2020

Really enjoyed it. I'm currently more in an interdisciplinary marketing role, but want to step into digital product management. Thanks to Alex some of my existing knowledge was assured while I was able to add new method and techniques to my tool set. Looking forward to build great product and find that El Dorado between desirability, feasibility and viability.

By Try L M

May 12, 2019

Strong product management course even for experienced PMs since it discusses the application of modern methodologies derived from leading practices in experimentation, customer creation and innovation management. It also has comprehensive sections about exploring a new product idea and performing incremental innovation depending on the problem-solving phase.

By DIONYSIOS Z

Sep 20, 2017

Excellent course - recommend it 100% to anyone that wants to be a product manager or works currently in a similar role. The teacher knows what is talking about, presenting a lot of frameworks that can be used in real life. Relevant & updated information, summarizing in a well documented format all the principles that you should know in the modern workplace.

By Lucas K

Jul 28, 2020

A very uplifting and informative course about the daily business, processes, and impediments a product manager is working with. Especially the interviews with experts from well-known companies are very good and enlightening. Everyone interested in getting into the field, or learning something new about product management should consider this great course.

By Yadunandan A

Sep 13, 2020

Great course encompassing all the significantly important aspects of Digital Product Management and still retaining the core concepts of Desirability, Viability and Feasibility across the course. Many practical tips shared which can be easily implemented from Day 1. Amazing course which will help learners across the different stages in the PM maturity.

By Brittany M

Jun 2, 2020

This is a really great overview of product management! There are a lot of great frameworks that I wish I had learned earlier in my product career. I would recommend this course to an aspiring PM over a CSPO (or the like) course. There is still value in a CSPO course, but I personally was really craving these sorts of actionable/applicable frameworks.

By Anirban M

May 13, 2020

A very well structured course for Product Managers and Product Management Aspirants. Each an every topic discussed in this course is highly relevant and Advanced in today's Product Management world. I got some wonderful insights about New Product Development Framework, Hooks Model, Analytics for PM etc. Thank You Mr. Alex Cowain for awesome delivery.

By Jay B

Jan 26, 2019

Consumable, yet comprehensive, and extremely actionable. Especially when paired with the resources and venture design website. Hate to say it, but probably more tangibly valuable than any of my MBA courses. I also used some of the material for "what is your thought process" type questions in an DPM interview, and the interviewees were blown a way.

By Gabriel W

May 20, 2021

A great crash course in the basics of Product Management methodology. The guest speakers were easily the most valuable component of the course because of their practical advice, which was grounded in real-world experience. I feel I gained a good overview of the PM role and its various flavors and could speak to best practices at a beginner level.

By Shankar T

Apr 6, 2020

Alex Cowan has put a detailed prospective of product management role in well balanced and detailed concept and good tools for us to use during our lifecycle as product manager. Some live examples from different industries was a very good insight on how these are implemented on ground. Thank you for all the insights on Digital product management.

By Mayank M

Dec 11, 2019

The course covers a wide array of topics. The focus is on the breadth of coverage, not too deep into one path. The takeaways are very relevant to practitioners. PM's with vast experience or a very niche category might not relate to some of the content, regardless, highly recommend. I will go back and watch a few video's again from time to time

By Haitham G

Mar 3, 2019

This course has solidified and gave structure to some mental yardsticks I have had about product management. It also introduced me a variety of new tools, concepts and information that are instrumental to product management. The information delivered might seem a lot to take in initially but after a few weeks, it all start to connect together.

By Karl M

Sep 13, 2017

This course was a helpful overview of modern ideas and practices within product development. I enjoyed the way the course is broken out into short videos, infographics, practical examples, and real-life interviews throughout; quick and to the point. I am excited to try to apply some of the concepts I have learned in this course. Thanks Alex!

By Scott S

May 23, 2018

This course was well constructed and planned to provide a great story about Product Management. I was able to come to the realization that, even though I have not held the role of Product Manager officially, I have performed many of the duties of a PM. This will provide me with confidence and more detailed approaches to my future PM roles.

By Arvind T

Jun 23, 2020

A well-structured program for practictioners by a seasoned practitioner himself. Alex Cowan's dedication to the subject comes through in his lectures and interviews. I have done several other PM programs but none of them went deep into the real-life situations and case-studies as this course has. So thanks for that Alex and Team Coursera!

By K C

Nov 10, 2019

the course is informative enough regarding how to efficiently manage your product in a modern and agile approach which is not limited to digital product. useful course materials covering product development, team management and tools together with interviews that helps a lot in getting to know real business case. will recommend to others.

By Filip V

Dec 8, 2020

Now that was a really great course. Filled with tools and understanding of modern product management.

Alex is very clear in his teaching and is easy to follow.

I strongly recommend this course to anyone wanting to get to know the modern fundamentals of product management. You also get access to useful tools to apply directly to your work.

By Domenico V

Jul 17, 2021

Thank you, Alex and Coursera, to make this course available and clear enough for people with technical background like me to be acquainted, understand and assimilate the basic concepts of Product Management. I hope that, at the end of the specialization, I'll gain enough confidence to be engaged in roles belonged to this learning area.

By Sahil D

Nov 20, 2020

Very useful to understand the basics which I can readily apply to the new experience on my professional front. Alex has shared a variety of tools and techniques in this course which is definitely going to enable us to analyze any given situation from different standpoints.

Alex, thank you for this wonderful course. Really appreciate it.