Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

RA

Feb 16, 2020

The course delievers a lot of knowledge, strategy and tools for product managers. You will finish the course with many ideas and tools to implement and have more success in your company. Great course!

LK

Jun 25, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

626 - 650 of 763 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Natalia M

Jul 31, 2020

It's a great course for someone who is starting this position as myself, at some point I think week 2 it was not getting 100% of my attention but I think it was because there's a lot of short videos about many different topics that needs more explanation, he was changing topics to fast. It was good when he could give examples of what he was saying. I love the interviews and the point of views of the PM's and people he interviewed, Eric one was great. Thanks for the course, I look forward to start practicing most if the things I learned!

By Sergey L

Sep 22, 2019

The course gives a great fundamental vision to the field of Product Management. I, personally, got the abstract vision what kind of information I should seek for. A small disadvantage to me as international non-English speaking student is quite little amount of examples. If there would be more specific and visual examples, it would be much more easier to understand and expand the vision of the PM profession.

Despite that minor minus, the course is well structured and gives the major fundamental view to the topic, thanks to Alex.

By Nidhish B

May 08, 2020

Being a fundamental course, it covers almost every aspect of product management. Definitely worth the money and time investment. Kudos to Alex for explaining the concepts quite lucidly. The guests with real-life examples are a great resource and if you are into the product management field then you can relate the top priorities and skills they suggested. Quizzes should contain more questions so the fundamentals of product management and practical problems can be completely absorbed during each week of the course.

By Ralitsa

Jan 03, 2020

The course is a nice blend of theory and practical examples and what I loved about it was the shared view and experience of experts who work for some of the major corporations where all said is actually a way of work. What I assume could be improved is related to the logical sequance of the contect since I feel that there was a lot of valuable information, but I somehow have it messy in my head and I need to go back to some of the videos to recall. Thank you, all in all, I enjoyed it very much! ;)

By himanshukoli

The course is quite good for someone who is a beginner. The guest lectures in between coming from top-notch product managers make it even more interesting as it brings out perspective directly from the industry. It could have been much better if some practical exercises were given in each module so that we can have some kind of hands-on experience. Overall a good course with good content.

By Michael K

Feb 02, 2020

The content of the course is really exceptionally good. The methods are explained fantastically and even experienced product managers really learn a lot here. For all those who have a lot of experience in dealing with agility, there is a lot of room for reflection, especially when dividing PM and PO. In the test questions, some answers unfortunately do not belong to the questions.

By Mauricio A V

Mar 25, 2020

I think the course is very useful. Anyway, there is something I always miss and I missed it here again. Any of these jobs as PM need a team with the right knowledge, and that sound basis but fail many times. I really believe people must learn a way to achieve the right knowledge in their teams. Always that goal has been part of my core process and I am sure part of my success

By Roger R

Jul 29, 2020

A very good course with alot of ground covered. I would suggest users to get a some basic insights on Agile concepts and be clear that alot of what is talked about in this course pertains to product management in the software space. However it surely does give a comprehensive view on the discipline and is a good start for anyone looking to branch out into Product Management

By Andrés F T C

Jul 19, 2020

The course is very complete, but many contents are designed for someone with previous knowledge in: development, scrum, marketing, business, etc. The teacher explains himself very well but there were parts where I got lost (BMC, seeding features, etc). I recommend this course for anyone interested in learning more about the world of product management

By Gabriel G

Jun 05, 2020

It was a nice overview and refresher for the PM role. It is relatively high-level, but hey, it's a 101 course. I wish the roadmap part was a bit more practical, with examples and such. Executives often ask for roadmaps, and there are ways to create good ones without having specific dates and features, which I think is the wrong way to build roadmaps.

By Mahdi S

Jul 20, 2020

It is an indeed rich course to take. Challenging and having a deep view of the topic. I suppose the presentations could help more, adding more clarity of the content and also the quiz parts could be less subjective. I strongly recommend taking this course if you need to challenge what you have known so far.

By Mau B

Jun 08, 2020

Its' great and flows quickly. It's kind of basic but ALex gives a lot (A LOT!!!) of resources for you to explore beyond the course. There's not much of a "practical" part of the course it's mostly theory so you have to go out and tryit for yourself or commit to the external resources to keep lerning.

By Andy M

Oct 18, 2019

Good course, with a great grounding with - as advertised - the 'fundamentals' of product management. It would be nice, as others said, to have more hands-on examples or applications given, but if you are able to translate the concepts and learnings into your daily work, then it's well worthwhile.

By ravi t s

Jul 01, 2020

Hi,

I really like this course learning fundamentals of product management and interviews with industry experts in product management and their views are quite resourceful and insightful for aspiring PMs.

Thanks everyone for making this journey very useful. Wish you all happy learning..

Ravi

By Kanwar.d S

Jun 04, 2019

This course was super helpful and I learned a lot of new techniques for new product development and adding features to existing products from a product manager's perspective. I will be trying to apply these in my job incrementally and I hope to achieve a lot of value out of these.

By Shaashwath V

Jul 04, 2020

The course is very modular and brushes upon exactly what the title says: Fundamentals. It's perfect for newbies who are entering into the Product Management fields and also for existing product managers who are looking for upping their skills and knowledge with the latest trends.

By KESHAV B

The course was excellent. I loved it. I think we should be given some time to think about how things apply on the demo companies used to demonstrate the models before getting told. I also think that the practicality should be increased so that aspiring students get a hands-on,

By Piyush M

Jan 09, 2020

Good overview of subject matter. Provides sufficient coverage to get started for deep dives. Content is well organized, although week 4 is stretched thin, trying to cover too many topics. Students will also benefit from detailed discussions of selected PM tools.

By Amed E

Sep 07, 2020

Very good explanation of the fundamentals. Don't know if I missed this, but much of the contents of this course can be summarized in visuals such as charts, that would've been an awesome resource to have since there are so many tools, techniques and frameworks.

By Michael O

Jul 22, 2020

I had an amazing time going through the notes and grasping new knowledge. Anyways there were typographical errors on the notes/scripts (possibly during transcribing. I can also help transcribe notes and discover errors). Thank you for an amazing experience!!

By Ulises M M

Jun 01, 2020

Great introductory course from Alex Cowan! I am a junior PM and I found very useful some of the concepts that I learned here. One of the most valuable insights were from the interviews from other PM's. I wish they had more in depth and extensive interviews.

By Anindita M P

Jun 10, 2019

Could have been much better if the contents were organized in a more structured way. It was great to know a lot of thing for a product manager. but a Structured diagrams sometimes acts like a memory refresher to implement these into real life

By Mojuste E

Sep 11, 2020

Excellent course to get a holistic approach of Product Management. The Teacher is great and i found interviews with PMs very insightful.

Anyway, I have the feeling that some concepts needed deeper explanation (business model types...)

By Jonathan T

Jan 08, 2019

It would be great to see more interactivity in some way to allow the learner a chance to apply the content learned before moving on. The course was great and included tons of great info and resources that I intend to reflect back on.

By Harshal S

Feb 04, 2019

This course will provide you the skeleton for setting up your product team and their cross-functional interaction. Enough corroboration of business models and frameworks by industry professionals who are trusting those methods.