Back to Agile Meets Design Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Agile Meets Design Thinking by University of Virginia

Despite everyone's good intentions, hard work and solid ideas, too many teams end up creating products that no one wants, no one can use, and no one buys. But it doesn't have to be this way. Agile and design thinking offer a different--and effective--approach to product development, one that results in valuable solutions to meaningful problems. In this course, you’ll learn how to determine what's valuable to a user early in the process--to frontload value--by focusing your team on testable narratives about the user and creating a strong shared perspective. As a Project Management Institute (PMI®) Registered Education Provider, the University of Virginia Darden School of Business has been approved by PMI to issue 25 professional development units (PDUs) for this course, which focuses on core competencies recognized by PMI. (Provider #2122) This course is supported by the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

AA

Sep 09, 2020

I absolutely recommend this course for everyone who really wants to develop their skill or want to learn new skills. this amazing course will assist you to understand the user in a more strategic way.

TG

Oct 24, 2017

Rich and well-structured content about Agile and Design Thinking, shows how to approach and include personas that will somehow be touched by the solution being created, and deliver outcomes to them.

26 - 50 of 625 Reviews for Agile Meets Design Thinking

By AJAY S

Apr 23, 2020

Lots of new things to learn, developing the art of organising information into practcal stories, that makes for creating product in manageable and testable batches is commendable accomplishment for me. The course will help me make sense in this VUCA world where clients also, most of the times, arenever clear on what they want, and the scope actualy develops over the project life cycle. This methodolgy will help retain the flexibility to change at the point of creation and testing the change to ensure the overall journey is in the right direction.

By Billy S

Jun 19, 2020

Very insightful discussion of Agile. I found a lot of similarities with Design thinking, another topic of interest for me. The examples and exercises were also very practical and easy to follow. What really helped with the course were:

1) The bite-sized length of videos. The focus of each video was clear and easy to digest. There's enough break between topics to allow for reflection and processing.

2.) The occasional question and activity prompts helped a lot in deepening understanding of the lessons

Kudos to Alex Cowan for this course!

By Alex N

I am not new to Agile Development, but i had no idea what to expect about Design Thinking. Alex Cowan and this course helped me a lot not only with more than a basic understanding of what Design Thinking is and how to use it with Agile, but it also showed me how to improve my way of working with Agile itself. I am now appalled by the user stories i wrote up until this course. I strongly recommend Agile Meets Design Thinking to any Agile practitioner, Product Owner, Product Manager and Project Manager.

By Manoj J A

Jan 05, 2020

This course from the University of Virginia (UVA) of 5 weeks was amazing learning. The teachings from the instructor, serial entrepreneur and Stanford dropout Alex Cowan was so practical. It felt as if I was in his class- face to face - with the Coursera platform. The real-life project problems, the students shared, from SAP SCM by myself, Salesforce SFDC from Brazil, CRM case study from Switzerland, Auto Routing of breakdown service from Japan and many others was truly a global village of learning.

By KAZIBWE S

Mar 11, 2016

Its the best a an IT professional or product development expert has to keep handy with,as software and aspiring entrepreneur,it personally taught me a lot and changed the way i go about my development. If you ever want to have certainty over the market direction of your product,Agile Meets Design thinking might not be the only but is the best way to go.Thumbs up to the organizers of the course, it was not only well taught and delivered but fun and engaging.

By Julie L

Jan 21, 2020

As a tech marketing executive, I want to make sure our outbound messaging and campaigns are focused on the key strengths of our products and services so we can stand out in the marketplace. This class gives me the tools to build out messaging and campaigns on the various personas and user stories. Moreover, it gives me more credibility with the engineering team so they will feel more of a need to partner with marketing and bring us in early in the process.

By Rizwan U H C

Aug 17, 2019

A very well structured course that enabled me to get the deep dive into what is agile and design thinking. Must appreciate if you could please add slide of take home that is crux of lecture at the end of each session. In actual when you are learning all alone you can have different ways to perceive things so in order to keep the user confined and to align his thoughts with what the teacher taught we must have main points of each session at the end. thanks

By Sean H

Mar 18, 2020

My first time using Coursera. In many ways this course exceeded most face-to-face training that I've experienced: the ability to rewind, capture notes easily, use discussion fora, peer review work, access supporting online resources...and most of all the quality of the instructor who was clearly very experienced, built rapport (despite the one-way platform), and was very articulate.

If this the quality of all their offerings then I'll be using them again.

By Luis H d L L

Jul 01, 2020

Professor Alex Cowan really steps out of his way to make this course as accessible, comprehensible and paced as possible. With tailored, hand made course materials, this course gave me everything I needed to absorb it's contents. In the end, all I have to say is that this was one of the most engaging Online courses I have ever taken, i come out of it feeling confident on the topics it integrates, and of course: The skits WORK!

By Joel H

Mar 04, 2018

This is by far one of the best courses I have taken through Coursera! The audio is clear, Alex is well-spoken, and he is clearly a leader in this field. As impressive as his course is, the resources included are absolutely invaluable. If you're looking to further your education in Agile, or just need a thorough, easy to follow recap, this should be top of your list. Do yourself a favor and check out his website, as well.

By Tomas R

Jun 03, 2020

Fully enjoyed the course. Made me think how Agile and Design Thinking approaches can be useful not just for IT projects, but for any other intellectual product development, including design of learning materials, EX processes and other human experiences in organizations which I am more familiar with. Definitely recommend the course for all who want to learn the basics of Agile and improve their creative narratives.

By Megan J

Jun 26, 2018

So far this course is awesome, as a marketer by training it's really easy to digest and the principles are easy to understand. Very close-in to what you've learn and already know as a marketer but offers a different framework to think about consumers and insights in a more interdisciplinary fashion that requires collaboration and group problem-solving. We should have all been on agile methodology a long time ago.

By Geoffrey C

Jul 31, 2020

This is the second course that I have done with Alex Cowan and Darden and find him to be absolutely brilliant in the delivery and description of the material and making it easy to understand. I originally planned to do just one course in this specialization. I'm enjoying it so much, I'm going to do the complete specialization and look for more courses from Darden or Alex Cowan once I'm finished.

By Bernard D V

Jan 16, 2018

First course of the specialisation "Agile Development Specialization".

You will learn Agile origins, how to create personas, problem scenarios and alternatives.

You will search for a good software idea and create a storyboard.

It's a really interesting and complete course.

I recommend this course if you are ready to do all the specialisation because doing this course only makes no sense.

By Sukhatai S

Sep 24, 2018

I like this Agile course and going to register next others.

It is good because the course that teach about thinking, normally not easy, but Alex can explain it efficiently and make me understand step by step of thinking process.

And this course often encourage me to think what & why.

If we have the correct thinking process, I am sure that the outcome will be good as well.

By Marie d K

Mar 15, 2020

This first course in the specialisation was a great practical introduction to what agile is really about. I discovered I already had a design thinking approach in my daily practice although much less organised :-), I'm looking forward the next modules!

Just a note, if you're looking for an agile handbook (i.e. tech tools and terms) this might not be the course for you.

By Abhinav U

Jun 10, 2020

What a fantastic course. Its not just that Alex is a fantastic prof which he certainly is but its about provide ample opportunities to practice and structured templates to work with that made me really engage with the material in this course. I would highly reccomend this to anyone who always wanted to incorporate design thinking into their work as a product person.

By Isac S P M

Oct 04, 2018

Alex Cowan is a great instructor. The way he explains the subject is clear, concise but most of all engaging. His material on his personal site is very thorough and provides clear answers to the questions we usually ask when embarking on a new software project. I will be completing this certification because I think it's worth it. Thanks for the experience.

By Ramender K

Dec 28, 2016

Awesome course that definitely required some dedication indeed. The quizes were fun because they were challenging ... there should have been a way to randomize the questions better because the questions were awesome but repeated in different tries to improve my scores ... and so, it became easier to correct your mistakes (that's a positive actually).

By Karin W

Mar 27, 2018

Really great course that gives a profound overview as well as demos and exercises to practice important steps like writing personas and problem scenarios. Great resources also on the professor's website that are integrated in the course and are really helpful.

Thank you, Alex & team!

I can really recommend this course and the entire specialisation.

By Dino S

Jul 20, 2020

A fantastic course, which I would recommend to anyone with an interest in agile thinking. I learnt and gained real value from this course. I discovered new and alternative ways of problem solving which takes the end user into consideration and how to effectively know my target market. Overall I really enjoyed this course as well as the lectures.

By Fil G

Jan 21, 2017

Very good course. Excellent material and good coverage of the subject matter. Lecturer does a very good job of presenting the information in a clear, easy to understand manner. Exercises are well thought out and provide practical experience with the material. All and all great course. Can't wait to take the second part of this series.

By Gonzalo A G

Aug 26, 2020

This course gives a very usefull tools to focus on delivering more value to users. Nowdays, it's necessary to have a better understand of personas's environment and how we can deal in a good way with daily companies'e problems. I congratulate the teacher of this course for being clear and direct with agile's key ideas.

By ganesh d

Oct 03, 2018

This course gave me a systematic approach to put the problem from customer perspective very clearly. Creating stories, understanding a persona with Think, See, Feel & Do, brings out many unique aspects of the persona, which later helped for creating action points to provide solutions to be problem. Thank you, Ganesh De

By Erez M

Apr 30, 2018

It might sound strange, but there are only a few good courses that really deal with agile development. This course is definitly one of them. I have enjoyed the format of this course and the journey it took me through. The live interviews with experts from the industry are a great bonus to the learning. Thank you Alex!.