Back to Version Control with Git

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Version Control with Git by Atlassian

The Version Control with Git course provides you with a solid, hands-on foundation for understanding the Git version control system. Git is open source software originally created by Linus Torvalds. Git manages team files for large and small projects. This allows the team to continuously improve its product. It is used by most major technology companies, and is assumed knowledge for many modern programming and IT jobs. It is a core component of DevOps, continuous delivery pipelines and cloud-native computing. You could also use Git to manage the many continuously improving revisions of that book that you are writing. In this course, you will not learn everything there is to know about Git, but you will build a strong conceptual understanding of the technology, and afterward will be able to confidently dig deeper on any topic that interests you. This course assumes no previous knowledge of Git, but if you do have experience with it, you may find this course to be both useful and challenging. This is especially true if you currently "know just enough Git to be dangerous". There are two paths in this course. Both rely heavily on hands-on labs. One path assumes that you have experience using a command line interface, and the other path uses the Sourcetree graphical client. If you are not experienced with a command line, we highly suggest that you go through the Sourcetree path. Eventually, you might want to go through both paths, so that you can decide which tool to use for specific tasks. Besides, repetition is good for learning :) You can watch the videos and take the quizzes from your phone if you want, but the hands-on labs require you to have a Windows or Mac computer. If you use the command line path through the course, you can also use Linux. This course uses Bitbucket (bitbucket.org) as the hosted provider for remote Git repositories. Bitbucket is free for teams of up to 5 people, including private repositories. However, most of the knowledge that you gain in this course applies to Git itself, and you can apply this knowledge to other hosted Git providers (such as GitHub). This course tries to be as concise as possible. It will probably take you about 5-10 hours to go through one of the two paths, but your mileage may vary....

ML
Mar 27, 2018

Great course, should be a pre-requisite or additional reading to any intro data science course using Git. Straight-forward, not overly taxing to your time, and full of practical application exercises.

CK
May 23, 2021

Awesome Course, Learned many new things, I am using git for my day-to-day work, but this course gave me in-depth knowledge of each work and each command that I execute and will execute in the future.

26 - 50 of 669 Reviews for Version Control with Git

By Kristian L J

Feb 7, 2019

I have used Git at work for a couple of years now. Despite this, I found some things in this course that I did not know like different Git work flows, a better understanding of the internal workings of Git, as well as other ways of merging (like squash merge). Can highly recommend this course to people who are new to Git as well as people with Git experience who never got the full Git tour. Very good lectures and assignments.

By Soufiane C

Sep 15, 2020

Git from A to Z, this course explains it all. There's a thousand course online that claim to teach Git in 10 minutes, but when you take this one, you understand that they just show the surface. I was using Git at work but I always felt that there are many aspects that I don't fully grasp. After taking this course, I'm now aware of everything that should or can be done, why it's done, and how to do it right.

By Каморзин Б Б

Sep 14, 2020

Great course!

Very helpful indeed. I was a complete noob, when my boss asked me to start our repo for the project, and now I can use Git very efficiently.

The good thing about this course is not only that it gives you all you need to start fresh, but it does it in an UNDERSTANDABLE and clear way, supported by some nice presentations.

I want to thank the course creator(s) for this lovely and mindful experience.

By Himanshu A

Apr 25, 2018

This was an amazing course. I have taken many MOOC, but after a very long (last I would say was CS50 - from Harvard, by David J. Malan) I found a course so interesting and informative. I have also watched the GIT YouTube videos and other stuff so I can confidently say that if someone is looking to build a solid foundation on GIT VCS then I think there is no better course to take than this.

High recommended.

By Rajkumar S

Jul 13, 2021

I'm highly recommending this course for every computer engineer. I had 70% knowledge of git. This course is very useful for beginners as well as intermediate learners. This course completes your knowledge of git. You can do this course using Github as well.

During this course I created repo on Github for practice.

You can definitely check this out ☝ .

By Gitesh C

Sep 5, 2019

Amazing course. I highly recommend every software developer to take this course. Extremely well structured and informative. The best part was the Lab. Wish they had a couple of more weeks of curriculum and covered topics like resetting head and cherrypicking. Too Good already! I used to struggle a lot with Git and I can proudly say my concepts are far more clear after taking this course. A must do!

By Ivan S

Apr 25, 2020

Great set-by-step overview that lets you dive into GIT and gives a structural view on most common git functionalities. Even being familiar with Git, the course helped me to structure the knowledge and learn a few new facts.

Would be great if there was a follow-up course that would also cover submodules, subtrees, LFS, and other practical aspects of Git.

Overall, very good work, Atlassian.

By Riley M

Jul 20, 2019

A fantastic course for not only learning how to effectively use Git from the command line but in visualizing Git's DAG structure and its elements. Yes, you will learn what DAG (Directed Acyclic Graph) means in the course!

Our team is new to implementing source control for development on our automation testing platform, so this course will help us to use git effectively.

By Ankur C

May 27, 2021

A great experience from one of the best organizations! Using this course along with the hands-on exercises and practicing on Bitbucket repos made me pretty confident about git. I wasn't actually a beginner in git, and I thought this would be like a refresher course. But this course covers a lot of material in-depth that makes git even more powerful to use daily.

By Muhammad U

Aug 9, 2019

This is a great course if you want to get started with Git. The course instructors have done wonderfully well to streamline the course content. The practice labs, visual aids and tutorials illustrate the concepts in a clear manner. Experience with version control systems is a must have sill these days and if you want to get started, this is the course for you.

By Adarsh P

Nov 16, 2020

the best tutorial with all the necessary hands on. you can also select to go with gui based source tree or pure git command line. also content is actually very concise so one can easily do in 4 days also.. do this course once and you will never face any issue with git, no need to google things anymore and no wondering to different different sites.

By Savita S

Aug 13, 2019

I really like this course because of 1. The contents of this course are very rich. 2. The transcript is very useful. 3. The quiz is very tricky to answer. 4. If we follow along with this course then we will by heart all concepts explained in this course. 5. Hand-on exercise is self-explanatory. 6. The basic concept of Git is explained very nicely.

By Vijayaraghavan

Mar 6, 2020

Best introductory course on Git available on the internet. Precise and concise videos. The transcript is useful for reviewing the content again later. Meaningful check points and the hands on lab for all videos help reinforce the topics explained in the videos. The assessment gives confidence as we progress. Thank you very much for this course.

By Janet E

Feb 10, 2021

I loved the material, how concepts were taught and defined, it was great! Although, it seems like many people submit their projects and it goes ungraded for more than a month. I wish Coursera or the instructor were able to grade assignments if it goes ungraded for a certain period of time. I would recommend this course to everyone!

By Shyam P

Aug 4, 2019

Not bad but needs overhaul to make more sense! In terms of the variable names or resource naming of the files and commit messages and so forth - this fileA - commit message add fileA - and the relative obscurity of reading the assignment has to be fixed and given a make over!!! I could barely understand the assignment :) - Cheers

By Manas S

Feb 7, 2019

before taking this course i was not at all aware about how git works and what it does. after this course i am well versed with git and i functionality and how efficiently i can use git for development and project works. thank you so much for creating this course and thank you so much coursera for providing this platform to learn.

By Mehedi F

Mar 27, 2019

Best course I ever done till now. Here you will get a clear concept of what you are learning, why you are learning along with how you are learning. Moreover I liked about these course is, It has separate section for people who like command line or GUI interface. Highly recommended if you want to clear your concept of Git.

By Paul P

Sep 10, 2019

Really good course on Git. I have had a lot of experience in old-school centralized version control systems, and have had a hard time wrapping my head around git. However, this course went step-by-step through through everything I needed to understand the entirely new paradigm of distributed version control. Thanks!

By Nick N

Jul 13, 2019

This is certainly a complete course. I feel very informed at the end of the course, and I found the final project to be a very real approximation of the work that we do at my work. I took this course as a refresher as well to make sure my skills were on target, and I feel very good about how much I have relearned.

By Elijah

Jun 15, 2021

I knew nothing about Git and Github until I enrolled in this course. A lot of people had been asking me to host my projects on Github and I created the account but the work environment was just too complex to understand. This course has really helped me to understand Git and work with the hub. Blessings.

By Lucas A S

Sep 3, 2020

This Course is very thorough, and moves at a very pleasant pace. The instructor provides in-depth explanations of every concept and detail involved, not skipping over important parts that might be considered obvious to those familiar with the tools presented. I definitely recommend it.

By Ayusman C

Mar 2, 2021

The course is well structured for a beginner to learn how to work in a developer fraternity using Git and BitBucket. I loved the way the course was structured and how the lectures are targeted to make the learner understand the functionality Git offers in a development environment.

By Jakub P

Mar 5, 2018

Well prepared course. Demonstrates all basic GIT functions and includes also additional corrective possibilities on commit history which GIT offers. I value that course instructs the learner with two identical approaches on how to work with git, via Git Bash or Source Tree.

By Shahjahan M S

Apr 19, 2020

I'm very pleased with this git course. Got an in-depth knowledge. As a business-background student, it's difficult to step into the developers' world. I was struggling with git then found this course. Now I am able to organize and maintain my code very efficiently.

By Pankaj S

Jun 23, 2020

This could be the only best course for me as i am a beginner to git . Instructor push each and every topic from the very basic to the good level . After watching this course you can do hand on practice and go for more advance level course of git for sure. THANKYOU