Back to Version Control with Git

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Version Control with Git by Atlassian

The Version Control with Git course provides you with a solid, hands-on foundation for understanding the Git version control system. Git is open source software originally created by Linus Torvalds. Git manages team files for large and small projects. This allows the team to continuously improve its product. It is used by most major technology companies, and is assumed knowledge for many modern programming and IT jobs. It is a core component of DevOps, continuous delivery pipelines and cloud-native computing. You could also use Git to manage the many continuously improving revisions of that book that you are writing. In this course, you will not learn everything there is to know about Git, but you will build a strong conceptual understanding of the technology, and afterward will be able to confidently dig deeper on any topic that interests you. This course assumes no previous knowledge of Git, but if you do have experience with it, you may find this course to be both useful and challenging. This is especially true if you currently "know just enough Git to be dangerous". There are two paths in this course. Both rely heavily on hands-on labs. One path assumes that you have experience using a command line interface, and the other path uses the Sourcetree graphical client. If you are not experienced with a command line, we highly suggest that you go through the Sourcetree path. Eventually, you might want to go through both paths, so that you can decide which tool to use for specific tasks. Besides, repetition is good for learning :) You can watch the videos and take the quizzes from your phone if you want, but the hands-on labs require you to have a Windows or Mac computer. If you use the command line path through the course, you can also use Linux. This course uses Bitbucket (bitbucket.org) as the hosted provider for remote Git repositories. Bitbucket is free for teams of up to 5 people, including private repositories. However, most of the knowledge that you gain in this course applies to Git itself, and you can apply this knowledge to other hosted Git providers (such as GitHub). This course tries to be as concise as possible. It will probably take you about 5-10 hours to go through one of the two paths, but your mileage may vary....

ML
Mar 27, 2018

Great course, should be a pre-requisite or additional reading to any intro data science course using Git. Straight-forward, not overly taxing to your time, and full of practical application exercises.

RB
Nov 25, 2019

This is a great course, i.e. very pedagogical, a nice structure, a lot of practise material and gives a very solid base for working with git. I highly recomend to anyone wanting to pickup git/github

51 - 75 of 542 Reviews for Version Control with Git

By Puneet C

Jun 16, 2018

Excellent course on Git. It gives you insights into the working of Git from a beginner to an advanced level. I would definitely recommend this course to all Software Engineers/Managers/DevOps/ITThere's a lot to gain from it for everyone.

By Abhilash R

Jun 17, 2020

I took this course with little knowledge on command prompts. It was very interesting to implement all the concepts and see for ourselves how it could be used in an actual project. Using the command prompt felt more robust and flexible.

By Shridhar H

Jan 17, 2019

Excellent course. Every concept in the course is explained clearly in the videos and it is followed by a well constructed quiz. This course really helps in understanding Git and is a must for one to begin working with Git protocol.

By Syed M A H

May 12, 2020

Best course for the understanding of git in general. It helps me to lots of misunderstandings about the git that I have in mind. I checked and studied many courses and blogs but this course was the real learning through the time.

By Jiří M

Apr 30, 2020

I recommend this course. It will give you skills for practical work with versioning tools. Also appreciate the ability to use both the command line and the SourceTree tool. Course is well structured with good practical exercises.

By Pierry Â

Mar 17, 2018

It's an excellent course! Well planned, a lot of diagrams to illustrate Git's workflow and make our understanding easier. This was the best course I took about Git, and I would recommend it definitely!

Greetings from Brazil!

By Petrov A Y

Aug 27, 2019

Thanks for everyone who participated in creating this course. I learned a lot from simply create a branch to pull request. This knowledge will help me at my work as software tester so as we use Bitcucket on our project.

By Mariusz K

Mar 12, 2018

I have been taken a lot of courses about the Git, but this course is my favorite. Straight to the point topics, a lot of diagrams, explanation "how it works" makes this course extremely helpful for inquisitive students.

By Thilina L

Oct 12, 2020

Recommended for everyone. Got a proper understanding of how git works as a version control system. And also this course helped me to solve many complexities when working with git. Thank you for offering this course.

By Mariano G

May 23, 2020

Is good enough to learn about all the required information about git. I wish it was a bit longer and talked about more features like git stash (briefly mentioned). iOverall, though this is enough to know about Git.

By Sinan M

Aug 2, 2019

A lot of people would tell you that you can learn Git by just doing software projects with teams, but that's not true if you don't have the basics down cold. That's what the course gives you. It is so worth it!

By Akash H

Jul 2, 2019

Brilliant course. Very very relevant to every software developer. Found only one scope of improvement -- A small project related to forking, pull requests(maybe something related to open source contributions)

By Md A U H

Feb 16, 2020

Nice video, explain all concept related to Git. The thing I like most about are question are ask in-between video which force you to stay focus on all video content. Great experience love to learn this way.

By Giselda M C

Apr 19, 2019

i loved it

i will give you the right amount of lab. once it gave you the commands that you should use, it wont give it to you on the next one. you should know it by now! forcing you to really learn.

loved it!

By Philippe C

Jul 1, 2019

I follow this course because I have to move from Subversion to Git at work. I didn't had a clue about Git before but now I feel realy confortable with it. I can even explain how git works to my colleagues.

By Stanislav I S

Jul 2, 2020

Explaining Gitflow was really the most important and valuable things that could be of a great assistance when developing a project and provides a variety of opportunities for further carrier development!

By RISHABH R

Jun 20, 2020

Great course. All the necessary information is provided in a coherent and logical workflow with proper assignment for each task ensuring you get a good hands-on experience with the required technology.

By Alazar A A

Apr 5, 2020

It was a great course. It had a good exercise. But it would be nice if the teacher explains Advanced concepts a little bit clearer and deeper.

GREAT COURSE.

I HAVE FOUND THE COURSE I WAS LOOKING FOR.

By Anmol K

Jun 9, 2020

Excellent course for learning version control with Git. The material covered was extensive and hands-on exercises provided great knowledge. Thanks to Steve and Atlassian team for such amazing course

By PHANI B

Jul 3, 2020

Great experience .This course is very well structured in lecture as well as in exercises which help me lot in gaining Git knowledge. Thank you Steve Byrnes for giving this wonderful course.

By ra

Nov 18, 2020

Delivery was concise and straight to the point. The narrator also did a great job.

This was a nice introduction to Git that I can build upon from now on in my infant professional career.

By Niyati K

Jun 18, 2020

Material is excellent and well structured. In future while working on Git projects, It will be convenient to refer back to the material and get help easily! Thank you for this course!

By Lisa O

Jun 4, 2018

This course did a great job of stepping me through GIT concepts. The videos and exercises were helpful - I feel comfortable applying what I learned in this course to other projects.

By Lohit B

Mar 30, 2021

Perfectly tailored content to help understand the git versioning process and work flows. Not at all overwhelming, but plenty concepts that you can start using at work immediately.

By Tauqeer H S

Jan 21, 2021

I very good course and everything is explained in a perfect and a professional way. I learned a lot from this course and would like to continue learning more courses from coursera