Back to Version Control with Git

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Version Control with Git by Atlassian

The Version Control with Git course provides you with a solid, hands-on foundation for understanding the Git version control system. Git is open source software originally created by Linus Torvalds. Git manages team files for large and small projects. This allows the team to continuously improve its product. It is used by most major technology companies, and is assumed knowledge for many modern programming and IT jobs. It is a core component of DevOps, continuous delivery pipelines and cloud-native computing. You could also use Git to manage the many continuously improving revisions of that book that you are writing. In this course, you will not learn everything there is to know about Git, but you will build a strong conceptual understanding of the technology, and afterward will be able to confidently dig deeper on any topic that interests you. This course assumes no previous knowledge of Git, but if you do have experience with it, you may find this course to be both useful and challenging. This is especially true if you currently "know just enough Git to be dangerous". There are two paths in this course. Both rely heavily on hands-on labs. One path assumes that you have experience using a command line interface, and the other path uses the Sourcetree graphical client. If you are not experienced with a command line, we highly suggest that you go through the Sourcetree path. Eventually, you might want to go through both paths, so that you can decide which tool to use for specific tasks. Besides, repetition is good for learning :) You can watch the videos and take the quizzes from your phone if you want, but the hands-on labs require you to have a Windows or Mac computer. If you use the command line path through the course, you can also use Linux. This course uses Bitbucket (bitbucket.org) as the hosted provider for remote Git repositories. Bitbucket is free for teams of up to 5 people, including private repositories. However, most of the knowledge that you gain in this course applies to Git itself, and you can apply this knowledge to other hosted Git providers (such as GitHub). This course tries to be as concise as possible. It will probably take you about 5-10 hours to go through one of the two paths, but your mileage may vary....

ML
Mar 27, 2018

Great course, should be a pre-requisite or additional reading to any intro data science course using Git. Straight-forward, not overly taxing to your time, and full of practical application exercises.

CK
May 23, 2021

Awesome Course, Learned many new things, I am using git for my day-to-day work, but this course gave me in-depth knowledge of each work and each command that I execute and will execute in the future.

476 - 500 of 605 Reviews for Version Control with Git

Feb 27, 2018

Solid

By RIZWAN S

May 31, 2021

good

By Ремизов А И

Dec 1, 2020

good

By Tsion Z

Sep 25, 2020

osum

By Sanjitha G

Oct 15, 2018

T

By Pauli P

Nov 11, 2020

Two separate paths for sourcetree and commandline would be a way to make things easier for the students. Now it was a bit frustrating having to jump over the videos that you did not wish to see. Also IMHO the questions in the middle of the videos were unnecessary interruptions. In addition, 15-25 minutes videos would be optimal length (for me). Seems to be the general tendency that self-educational videos are getting ever shorter. It may give some relief to a small group of students, but IMO the majority will suffer. If this continues, at some point in the future there's not enough time for anything else than "In this video we will learn" and "Let's review the things we learnt in this video" :)

By Tobias S

Jan 20, 2020

I'm very satisfied with the course though I couldn't give it five stars because of the following. First, the instructions for how to sync a forked repository on Bitbucket.org were out-of-date. I had to do some googling to find the right instructions. Second, I found the video for the different Git workflows to shallow in depth. I would have liked some use case examples and more exhaustive information regarding the workflows.

Having that said, I found the course educational and I feel the goals of the course are accurate. You do learn a solid foundation on which you can continue to improve your Git knowledge.

By Tianming H

Mar 10, 2021

I had some practice in this course on how to create directory and commits, and it makes clear some concepts of git I don't understand before.

On the other hand, I think it does not go in enough depth on some git features. As an example, I am still not quite sure how to safely revert commits while working with remote directory after completing the course, though it is one of the features from git that I want the most.

By Erick A

Mar 18, 2020

It's a really good course for begginers. For me it was very helpful to understand some git fundamentals, it gave me strong knowledge to build bigger skills. The negative part is some times it's boring, it'd be more dynamic showing "in action" work and not only slides. Also the documentation could be enhanced if it includes some cheatsheets for the most common commands or something like that.

By Prince K

Dec 31, 2019

They give a note for practical practices, where you have to read all the instructions and then you have to perform all those practical practices.It was really a great experience for me to take this course I am very glad that I choose this course the only thing where it was lagging is a lack of practical sessions.

overall it was a good course.

By Servet B

Jan 11, 2019

Pros:

** Presentations are great.

** Manner of telling is quite good and understandable.

** Course structure is planned very well in order of logic.

Cons:

** I would like to see using git with large scale team collobration. This could be done via classmates in course.

** Quizzes are fine but homeworks can contribute more to learn deeply.

By Dean G

Jun 2, 2021

Course is great. I did the command line only sections as this is what we use in work. This will be extremely helpful in work where I have had major problems managing repositories due to no prior training.

There was a mistake in my peer reviewed assignment, but I cannot edit my submission so I could not complete that part.

By Joseph L

Apr 17, 2021

Excellent course. Before starting the course, I knew "enough to be dangerous". I felt like I was learning more about Git from the first lesson. The only thing that I would change is the placement of the instructions for the final assignment. I didn't find them until after I attempted the assignment.

By Aditya k

Jul 18, 2018

The assignments provided as reading material was good and made us use all the concepts covered in the videos. Expected some more practical assignments for the determining the grades rather than just quizzes. Overall content was good and covered most of the topics as per my expectations. [Edited]

By Xun Y

Feb 2, 2019

Great introductory course for the Git. Can help you to understand a lot of technical terms related to Git. Sometimes the instructor is a little bit faster but you can always pause the video or revisit it back. Would be great if it can linked to a real and simple project.

By Viacheslav A

Jan 20, 2020

Very nice course, though I'd added some info on reverting repository to a certain commit, and resolving problems with rewriting of shared history, and may be some info on configuring access to a repository. Otherwise, it's a good comprehensive crash course

By Md. N M H

May 15, 2020

The author has a great sense of humor, that made it an easy to understand.Everything is broken down to simplicity, and even if you have been working with Git for a long time you will definitely learn something new, or get a better understanding of Git.