Back to Version Control with Git

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Version Control with Git by Atlassian

The Version Control with Git course provides you with a solid, hands-on foundation for understanding the Git version control system. Git is open source software originally created by Linus Torvalds. Git manages team files for large and small projects. This allows the team to continuously improve its product. It is used by most major technology companies, and is assumed knowledge for many modern programming and IT jobs. It is a core component of DevOps, continuous delivery pipelines and cloud-native computing. You could also use Git to manage the many continuously improving revisions of that book that you are writing. In this course, you will not learn everything there is to know about Git, but you will build a strong conceptual understanding of the technology, and afterward will be able to confidently dig deeper on any topic that interests you. This course assumes no previous knowledge of Git, but if you do have experience with it, you may find this course to be both useful and challenging. This is especially true if you currently "know just enough Git to be dangerous". There are two paths in this course. Both rely heavily on hands-on labs. One path assumes that you have experience using a command line interface, and the other path uses the Sourcetree graphical client. If you are not experienced with a command line, we highly suggest that you go through the Sourcetree path. Eventually, you might want to go through both paths, so that you can decide which tool to use for specific tasks. Besides, repetition is good for learning :) You can watch the videos and take the quizzes from your phone if you want, but the hands-on labs require you to have a Windows or Mac computer. If you use the command line path through the course, you can also use Linux. This course uses Bitbucket (bitbucket.org) as the hosted provider for remote Git repositories. Bitbucket is free for teams of up to 5 people, including private repositories. However, most of the knowledge that you gain in this course applies to Git itself, and you can apply this knowledge to other hosted Git providers (such as GitHub). This course tries to be as concise as possible. It will probably take you about 5-10 hours to go through one of the two paths, but your mileage may vary....

ML
Mar 27, 2018

Great course, should be a pre-requisite or additional reading to any intro data science course using Git. Straight-forward, not overly taxing to your time, and full of practical application exercises.

RB
Nov 25, 2019

This is a great course, i.e. very pedagogical, a nice structure, a lot of practise material and gives a very solid base for working with git. I highly recomend to anyone wanting to pickup git/github

76 - 100 of 497 Reviews for Version Control with Git

By Piyal B

Apr 11, 2019

An excellent course and introduces Git in the best way possible. Covers almost everything one has to know as a beginner and become a pro with Git. A definite 5* course

By Sheridan F

Great straightforward and concise explanation of the most important aspects of Git, with labs that make sure you actually know how to do these things in practice.

By Lenka C

This course has a logical structure and all parts are clearly explained. Very useful hand-on exercises using a graphical interface and/or command line interface.

By Gastón M

May 20, 2018

This course was amazing. It really covers all technical and practical aspects of GIT. The recommended GUI helped me understand the way GIT works. 100% satisfied.

By Shuvojit S S

Jul 6, 2020

I think, it is one of the most well-designed course in coursera. The tutor and his teaching techinques helped me to learn more about under the hood gems in git.

By Duodu R

Oct 1, 2020

The course has really improved my understanding of version control systems, git, and GitHub. I recommend for anyone who wants to learn version control systems.

By Tamara F

Oct 19, 2020

Muy completo. Lo hice por un carril, ahora planeo repetir los ejercicios por el otro. Me gustó mucho y se lo recomiendo a mis compañeros cada vez que puedo.

By Rogelio V

Nov 3, 2019

Very well hands on project to get started using git and sourcetree. I did the SourceTree path I am planning to come back later to do the command line path.

By Betsy M

Feb 2, 2018

Great course. This gave me all the basic Git knowledge I was looking for, and all the repetition in the assignments helped me to solidify my understanding.

By Roberto G

Jan 6, 2020

Great course on Git. It includes everything you need to start working with git effectively. I found particularly useful the lessons about Git workflows.

By Eugene B

Jun 30, 2019

Good course for beginners in Git. I hope in future you will realize advanced git course which cover such topics like bisect, patches, hooks, reflogs etc.

By Adrita B

Oct 4, 2020

It was a short course but upto the mark course. Every detail was there. Kudos on the Reading material. Loved that. And providing both option. Very Nice

By Akshay G

Apr 20, 2019

Very nicely taught with number of examples and good reading materials both for GUI and CLI. Enjoyed this course . A must for anyone interested in Git.

By Daniel B

Jul 15, 2019

Great intro to git. I was procrastinating learning Git for a lot time, and so it was painful every time I had to use it, but the course helped a lot.

By John K

May 7, 2020

Great course and the topics were explained in detail. I liked the choose-as-you-wish path of either using the bitbucket program or the command line.

By Frank Y

Jan 21, 2020

This course is one of the best MOOC courses I have ever taken. It is very well structured. Kudos to the instructor and course curriculum designers.

By shivang s

Mar 16, 2020

Great Course!! Let me learn a lot. I don't think this sort of learning is possible for me in college. I am very glad that I picked up this course.

By Slawomir S

Jan 15, 2019

Very good training. Last week contains a lot of difficult things. Maybe author should gives more longer and precises lectures about this subjects.

By Rohit K

Very well written course that manages to teach version control that is a must in the modern software development process and collaborative work.

By Daly N

May 22, 2020

I took this course as a refresher more than anything before I start in a new job. Very good for various concepts such as rebasing and gitflow.

By Karthik M

Jul 13, 2020

This course gave a positive vibe, I enjoyed learning Git and now I have a considerable knowledge on Git, Github and bitbucket so thanks alot

By Victor D R L

Jul 11, 2020

This is a very good course. The final project is very challenging and not easy. It took me many attempts for days in order to make it right.

By OSIRIS A O W

Aug 19, 2020

Me pareció muy bueno, te enseña de buena manera los conceptos necesarios para entender git y poder utilizarlo correctamente en el día a día

By Carlos A P G

The theory is explained very well and it is very well coupled with the laboratories.

I learned a lot of hacks and tricks to use in my work.

By Adewusi K A

Apr 9, 2019

Superb.

Concise, just the right dose to get devs started on Git, the most important topics and workflows. Very well written course, thanks.