Back to Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

In this course, you will examine how storytelling acts as a vital mechanism for driving video gameplay forward. Looking at several historical and contemporary games, you will be asked to evaluate and interpret different story styles with the goal of identifying themes and procedures for your own game ideas. We'll examine traditional narrative story processes, such as three-act structure, and how they fit into game story flows and the strategic elements of gameplay. Ultimately, you will learn how to define character, setting, and structure to create a compelling game concept....

DA
Nov 6, 2017

This is so helpful. It covers all the essentials of developing a good story, applicable in any form of media, then it focuses on converting the story to a game by adding interactive gameplay elements.

RB
Feb 23, 2016

I am glad that I have chosen to sign up to this course. It has open up my vision to a whole new world. Thanks so very much. The professor is engaging and the course content is fascinating.

26 - 50 of 239 Reviews for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

By 高飞

Apr 24, 2018

这个课程非常有趣,而且能够扩展你的写作技巧。不仅仅是制作游戏,有志于成为专业作家的学生也可以尝试学习一下。注意:有少量课程的视频没有中文字幕,中国学生可能会有一些理解困难。

This course is very interesting and can expand your writing skills. Not just making games, students who are interested in becoming professional writers can also try to learn.

By Oleg P

Nov 7, 2015

It is more interesting course that I thought it to be, and the teacher, Dariush Derakhshani, is a very clever and charismatic person. He makes the student thinks for themselves, and the interesting assignments help them to foster their creative abilities.

By Rene R

Apr 12, 2021

I really loved how practical this course is! It really gives you a step-by-step guide on how to come up with a story! If I could improve one thing it would be to allow students to create their own stories instead of providing a fixed plot upfront.

By Farnoud F

Jan 30, 2016

This Course helped me a whole lot in process of writing and how to break down the process for better performance. I really liked how easy and well sorted were the Content of the course and how the assignment was purposely designed for that week.

By Joshua v d V

Oct 22, 2018

This course helped me learn the basics of storytelling, and I felt that with only 20 hours spent on this course I have grown a lot in this department. I would recommend this course to anyone who's into storytelling for video games.

By Laurene S

Feb 14, 2017

This is a very interesting course to learn the essentials of creating characters and stories that are captivating for the players, and how to ensure that your story works as a game. I really liked the assignement marked by peers.

By Daniil D

Apr 27, 2021

Great course with introduction to basic knowledge of narrative game design. The tutor, Dariush Derakshani, is really a good speaker. I also especially like that one of the games that were analyzed in the course was Starcraft II.

By Jhon S R M

I really like the course, the feedback with other people really help, and although its a problem when there isn't sufficient people, in general i think that the course is good.

PS: the teacher is really good, I learnt a lot!

By Bojan P

Jan 27, 2016

This course is amazing for everyone who wants to learn more about story writing and presenting it, which than can be used for video games, but also for anything else as well.

Great course, my best recommendations.

By Alexandra

Oct 21, 2015

I was pretty upset by finding out there will be no Fran at this course, but Dariush is an amazing teacher too! I love how the material presents and exercises and examples are very interesting! 5 stars, no doubts!

By Miguel A P G

Jun 15, 2020

I really enjoyed every week. The course provides a lot of precious information on story writing for video games and I think it is a great complement for those who can't attend an university course in the area.

By Ignacio J M

Nov 23, 2015

A very interesting course about a subject that is probably overlooked by many gamers in favour of fun.

A compelling story (as well as memorable music and striking graphics) is what makes games an art form.

By Tushar L

Sep 8, 2020

Thank you for this course. It was very intuitive, learned a lot about how to expand the game story in terms of "game-play", and how to write synopsis, character briefs and Game Story Presentation Scheme.

By Carlos E E S

Dec 30, 2015

This is my favorite course ever. Dariush teaches in such an engaging way and it shows you how to have a creative yet objective and analyzed mindset for creating a story and narrative for a Video Game.

By Yevhen L

Nov 25, 2020

It is as much great as it is simple. Skills and practices are given in a clear and understandable way. Exercises reinforce taken knowledge effectively. Thank you a lot for this course!

By Liv

Mar 7, 2019

What a fun course! Really made me think about writing, how to turn a story into a game, and how to ideate and create bigger concepts from small ideas. Loved watching all the videos!

By Shuchao C

Nov 15, 2015

The instructor carefully illustrates all points necessary for wring a game story. The logic is extremely clear, course materials intact and homework amount is decent for students.

By Adrianisa K S

Jan 8, 2019

The course is delivered very nicely with well-thought reading materials and lots of practicing. Like they always say, practice makes perfect.

Thank you for sharing the knowledge!

By Panagiotis A

Sep 28, 2020

Great instructor, very good material used for guidance and all concepts were fairly easy to understand. Highly recommend for beginners interested in narrative and story design.

By Manuel V

Oct 24, 2020

Very well structured course with pretty straightforward homeworks that teach a lot about importance of elaborating on details that make a good story strong and entertaining.

By Steven V

Nov 1, 2015

The basics of this course are well defined and prepare you for proper story and narrative development in video games. I like the step-by-step process this course takes.

By Piotr K

Mar 8, 2021

It is an interesting course for someone who loves writing as there is a lot to write, If you like creative writing or storytelling you should for sure do this course.

By Denis P

Apr 5, 2020

This is an absolutely stunning course, I feel like I've learnt a huge amount about narrative architecture, pacing, character development and gamification. Thank you!

By Devin C

Dec 14, 2015

Big fan of the last two assignments. Re-writing the game was fun, and made it more interactive with the rest of the class, seeing how others would change the story.

By Prakarsh D

Sep 7, 2020

Helped me a lot in building story for my game. A great short course for understanding narrative development in video games. Highly recommended for game designers.