Back to Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

In this course, you will examine how storytelling acts as a vital mechanism for driving video gameplay forward. Looking at several historical and contemporary games, you will be asked to evaluate and interpret different story styles with the goal of identifying themes and procedures for your own game ideas. We'll examine traditional narrative story processes, such as three-act structure, and how they fit into game story flows and the strategic elements of gameplay. Ultimately, you will learn how to define character, setting, and structure to create a compelling game concept....

DA
Nov 6, 2017

This is so helpful. It covers all the essentials of developing a good story, applicable in any form of media, then it focuses on converting the story to a game by adding interactive gameplay elements.

RB
Feb 23, 2016

I am glad that I have chosen to sign up to this course. It has open up my vision to a whole new world. Thanks so very much. The professor is engaging and the course content is fascinating.

76 - 100 of 221 Reviews for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

By Daniel B

Sep 9, 2017

It is a fun course where you will find many people with great ideas and fun stories, i enjoyed it very much!

By Diego R

Mar 7, 2016

Great material and wisdom, really makes you think in the real importance of a well written story in a game.

By jalil M

Apr 19, 2020

i like the course but Jesus there needs to be more feedback in some of our classmates work were really bad

By Jessica H

Jul 9, 2017

Great class, helps you learn to develop a full story in details, and to write a compelling synopis for it.

By ZAREEN M T

Sep 1, 2020

this course taught me how to put down the story in my head onto paper and how to refine it at every turn

By Joshua B

Jun 26, 2017

This was an awesome course, interesting in all areas and facets! It really got my creativity flowing!

By Andre P

Sep 19, 2016

Pretty informative and helpful. Especially if you have difficulties in creating a plot for you game.

By Pablo S P

Jan 3, 2016

Amazing...A great teacher that will provide a valuable insight of the topic!! A must-do course! :)

By TC

Oct 22, 2020

This is a very interesting course, and there will be many opportunities to practice how to write.

By GABRIEL R L

Aug 15, 2020

Muy buenos ejercicios y una buena introducción a la narrativa de videojuegos. 100% Recomendable

By Shelagh R

Mar 1, 2020

A very interesting and detailed course; the videos were very helpful, and it was challenging.

By Jaime A

Aug 7, 2016

It is so engaging! I love the assignments and the way knowledge is transmitted. Thank you. :)

By Dhiksha A

Apr 27, 2020

A very interesting course. It gave me a new perspective on how narratives affect gameplay.

By Alberto V V

May 2, 2016

Great teacher and interesting topics. A great starter on how to develop stories for games.

By Luiz F R

Nov 24, 2015

I think I have grown a lot from this course. I congratulate the entire team and Teachers.

By José F C P

Jul 14, 2016

Buen curso, es una lastima que no tenga soporte a otros idiomas. Por ejemplo el español.

By Borja R N

Aug 28, 2019

The teacher has an extensive knowledge of the topic and makes the lectures entertaining

By José D

Jan 25, 2016

Very exciting course, it encourages creativity and helps bring structure to game ideas.

By Mohan J

Nov 13, 2016

It's great, I want more example and analysis in today's different kinds of games,plz.

By Kenneth I

May 16, 2020

Much more than gaming...it also teaches construction of creating fiction in general.

By Jaime R

Dec 22, 2015

Extremely helpful to get an introductory idea on how to use narrative in video games

By Joon T K

Sep 8, 2020

One of the best courses I've followed, it's really useful for your game development

By Arturs R

Aug 3, 2020

A very useful course led by experienced lector. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you!

By Daniel A A G

Sep 13, 2018

It really helped me understand the basics of what I was trying to do. Great course

By Yee I

Sep 27, 2016

Fun stretching writing skills, would be good if more game-like nuances were added.