Back to Visual Elements of User Interface Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Elements of User Interface Design by California Institute of the Arts

This design-centric course examines the broad question of what an interface is and what role a designer plays in creating a user interface. Learning how to design and articulate meaning using color, type, and imagery is essential to making interfaces function clearly and seamlessly. Through a series of lectures and visual exercises, you will focus on the many individual elements and components that make up the skillset of an interface designer. By the end of this course, you will be able to describe the key formal elements of clear, consistent, and intuitive UI design, and apply your learned skills to the design of a static screen-based interface. This is the first course in the UI/UX Design Specialization, which brings a design-centric approach to user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, and offers practical, skill-based instruction centered around a visual communications perspective, rather than on one focused on marketing or programming alone. These courses are ideal for anyone with some experience in graphic or visual design and who would like to build their skill set in UI or UX for app and web design. It would also be ideal for anyone with experience in front- or back-end web development or human-computer interaction and want to sharpen their visual design and analysis skills for UI or UX....

TM

May 23, 2021

This course is very useful for a beginner who is looking for the basics of UI/UX course.\n\nThis course will give you the basic idea of interface design which very important for its advanced studies.

RS

Dec 31, 2021

I never thought this is possible. I am very grateful to Coursera and Calarts. This is a starting milestone to changing my career life for better. I am ready to pursue more and more with your support.

1151 - 1175 of 1,247 Reviews for Visual Elements of User Interface Design

May 17, 2021

Great.

By Anushka A

May 28, 2022

Good

By ROHIT K

Aug 14, 2021

good

By Bambang G T

Mar 25, 2021

Good

By Tina W

Jul 3, 2020

GOOD

By Kara W

Aug 3, 2020

Instructors are passionate about the subject, which makes the class quite inspiring. I feel many points/techniques that are needed to complete assignments are left out due to virtual nature of class, short length of course, and extreme class size. There are just too many important nuggets of info and courses you need before even attempting this course. I really recommend watching a lot of PhotoShop and InDesign videos and tutorials so you can turn in sharper images for assignments.

The peer grading system is HORRIBLE. I will spend hours of time completing a project to make sure I meet all requirements of an assignment, only to receive a horrible score and have it torn to shreds by "fellow" classmates. You are given the opportunity to resubmit your assignment for a better grade, but just be aware that some classmates are not taking the course seriously, nor are they upholding the supportive spirit of the course. Then there are more experienced or overly opinionated peers that will leave quite nasty remarks knowing this is a "beginners" class. Art is subjective, but a lot of students will take off points because something is not their taste. Most of your peers are supportive in this course, but the bad apples can make for a very sour experience.

Overall, I give high marks for the instructor, though it is VERY theory driven, not even technique driven instruction. The assignments are very project based, and it would be more helpful to show plenty examples of the templates we will need to complete in the lectures and how to go about completing them.

This course is currently best geared towards quite experienced graphic designers looking to get into UX/UI design, but not newbies like me. At the very least, I am now aware of the educational holes I need to fill before attempting further UX/UI design training.

By Bianca M

Mar 22, 2021

The course was easily digestible and is great for beginners, but there were two major flaws that stood out in my opinion. First, the videos and graphics seem really dated- I was a bit taken back that it looks like it was filmed in the 1990s. Would have been more relatable if it spoke to current trends in the field. Second, the peer reviews are horrible and made the entire course seem like a joke because they weren't taking it seriously. Like several others have complained, there are peers who simply put 'Zzzzzzz' or just mash the keyboard and submitted as 'feedback'. Before I began the course I went to the forums and read all the threads speaking of this same issue- it almost deterred me form taking it honestly. I understand that with thousands of students it is difficult to have every assignment graded by a teacher, but something needs to be done because it's not right to have someone give your poor reviews because they're having a bad day. Feedback is a core part of UI/UX and if it's not taken seriously in this course how are we to improve?

By Sherri H

Mar 29, 2022

Good info, but do not like that the only one grading me, are students, this is only detrimental when those students either don't understand the instructions, or are not taking the time to read them. I have one question that asked if I used two typefaces, I did , the reviewer said no....really. I like the fact that I can do it on my own schedule, but there should not be this kind of grading system, I do not like that at all. Almost every student I reviewed, did not either understand the instructions or did not read them. Only 1 or 2 did the task as instructed. What worries me, thinking on the employers side as well, people can be getting their certificates and not even know what they are doing, or if they did it correctly or not....there has got to be a better way.

By Ana A

Feb 7, 2022

T​he whole course is centered around doing four assignments and buling your own project which is great. However, assignments are not reviewed by the stuff, but by two random peers. The peers can be really competent and put an effort into reviewing your assignment, but they also can be really non competent (to the point they didn't even remotley understand what the assignment was) or too lazy to write down the answers. One peer copied random song lyrics to the blank spaces where he was supposed to comment my last assignment!

O​ther than that, course is well structured and begginer friendly. It's focused on things like colors, shapes and grid. There's nothing about working with softwares like Figma or Photoshop (in case you are interested in that).

By Sophie

Jan 21, 2020

The videos, information in this course are informative and suitable for beginners.

HOWEVER. Having peers grade your work really cheapens the entire experience and makes me wonder what I'm paying for. I would often be marked down just because my "peer" didn't understand the assignment criteria, or doesn't comprehend English well enough.

What on earth is the point of being graded at all, when you're being assigned a mark by someone who has no idea what the assignment criteria even are? And Coursera's only advice is to waste my time by re-submitting the assignment. Just remove the requirement for reviews altogether... so redundant.

By Julia H

Mar 2, 2020

The concepts covered were basic and not as specific as I would have hoped. This was more of a course about what general elements are required or suggested in an interface. I did not like the peer review process very much. I would have preferred a final submission to an instructor or a professional in design to get real feedback. I can only give people reviews based on my personal preferences since I have not taken courses on design theory or user interface/user experience conventions. I would have liked to see more resources on current UI/UX trends.

By vanessa a

Aug 21, 2020

Only made it to the end of the second week so my opinion is strictly based off of only the first 2 weeks of the program.

I decided to stop because it was not at all engaging content. If you want to know every single aspect of the definition of UI/UX then this is the class to take. But if you are like me and want to actually get your hands dirty and learn the design process in Photoshop, illustrator and InDesign then you will be let down. I personally need hands on learning and less explanation.

By Amita B

Jun 27, 2021

It was fine, but not exactly what I was looking to learn. This course is more about learning how to use your existing graphic design skills to create a moodboard, pattern library and sample interface, you also learn about how to make design decisions based on design principles and functionality. However, I wanted a course that focuses more on understanding the user and creating a user-based design, and this course does not provide that. I've started the Google certificate instead.

By Diego F

Jun 10, 2020

I felt the course to be a bit basic. The course's objective for me is to start making you think as an UI designer; if you have - or think you have - a taste about UI then this course might be expendable. You won't get any hard truths or do's and don'ts. They give you the base concepts and you have to learn by doing, seeing other designs and sort of find your own style with that knowledge. So, in a way the real work is done after the course and by experimentation.