Back to Visual Elements of User Interface Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Elements of User Interface Design by California Institute of the Arts

This design-centric course examines the broad question of what an interface is and what role a designer plays in creating a user interface. Learning how to design and articulate meaning using color, type, and imagery is essential to making interfaces function clearly and seamlessly. Through a series of lectures and visual exercises, you will focus on the many individual elements and components that make up the skillset of an interface designer. By the end of this course, you will be able to describe the key formal elements of clear, consistent, and intuitive UI design, and apply your learned skills to the design of a static screen-based interface. This is the first course in the UI/UX Design Specialization, which brings a design-centric approach to user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, and offers practical, skill-based instruction centered around a visual communications perspective, rather than on one focused on marketing or programming alone. These courses are ideal for anyone with some experience in graphic or visual design and who would like to build their skill set in UI or UX for app and web design. It would also be ideal for anyone with experience in front- or back-end web development or human-computer interaction and want to sharpen their visual design and analysis skills for UI or UX....

JN
Nov 20, 2018

I never thought this is possible. I am very grateful to Coursera and Calarts. This is a starting milestone to changing my career life for better. I am ready to pursue more and more with your support.

RS
Feb 8, 2021

251 - 275 of 936 Reviews for Visual Elements of User Interface Design

By Lyuba R

Excellent, comprehensive and thorough class covering the basic fundamentals of UI/UX, with a concentration on UI.

By Layo R

Nov 11, 2019

A great and insightful approach and very inline for people with a graphic design/ visual communication background.

By John M

Sep 28, 2019

Michael is a gifted sherpa, leading us through the precarious terrain of graphic design in its sundry expressions.

By MUHAMMAD A

Feb 23, 2021

it covers basic stuff very nicely. Has changed the way i used to look at the stuff!! awesome job Mr. Worthington.

By Kwok Y X N

Good instructor, enjoyable hands-on activities. Learnt a lot about UI in this course, would definitely recommend!

By Lauren H

This was a really nice course for beginners. I really enjoyed the project and getting to see other students work.

By Mayank A

Aug 28, 2019

The course was amazing I got to learn many new things about UI/ UX Design which will help me in future endeavors.

By Dominika K

May 4, 2020

Very good for beginners, a great way to understand what UI/UX Design is and to try a simple hands-on assignment.

By Dariia S

Aug 12, 2019

It was very helpful course! We did a lot of practice but in same time it was not to much complicated! I love it!

By Manuela B P

Oct 28, 2020

Excellent, it is a great idea to start from a interface design centered idea. Then you can expand you horizons.

By Katie P

Sep 28, 2020

This was an excellent start to understanding UI design. I can't wait to complete all of the courses in this set

By Raj R S

The course structure is very well designed for any beginner to get a solid foundation in User Interface Design.

By RAHUL T

May 7, 2020

This course explains the fundamentals of UI/UX Design in a very easy to learn way. I enjoyed doing this course.

By Maham B

Sep 29, 2019

I enjoyed the course! The instructor instructor really well. I loved how assignments were linked to one another

By perky l

Feb 25, 2021

Thank you for the amazing lectures and discussions! I learned a lot and benefited from your course! Thank you!

By Nicolas B

Jun 9, 2019

I learned how useful and practical User Interface has become.

It has multiple application to almost any product

By Francisco B R R

Oct 12, 2020

I am very happy to have completed the course and to have carried out a real project to apply to my portfolio.

By PAULO C

Jan 7, 2019

It is being amazing to be part of this course. The classes are very structured and the content is very clear.

By Marco C

Nov 23, 2020

Very well explained, I learned a lot about UI UX design and probably will continue the rest of the courses.

By Dijup T

Jul 4, 2019

this course is helping me to be on structure and to follow a simple rules to add more meaning to our UI/UX.

By Gabriela C

Apr 1, 2019

I really loved this class, its easily explained and with great visuals. I learned a lot, thank you so much!

By Bernardo P

Jul 13, 2020

Nice introductory course on the visual elements that compose an interface. Michael explained it very well.

By Avaneesh K

Jul 13, 2020

Amazing course! Couldnt find any courses for visual design, but soon I got to this! Mind blowing concepts!

By Shahzeen N

The way of teaching is very reliable and affectionate. every lecture is very informative and to the point

By Isakov M S

May 7, 2020

Wonderfull course! Great foe both beginners and more experienced designers. Classes are very interesting!