Back to Visual Elements of User Interface Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Elements of User Interface Design by California Institute of the Arts

This design-centric course examines the broad question of what an interface is and what role a designer plays in creating a user interface. Learning how to design and articulate meaning using color, type, and imagery is essential to making interfaces function clearly and seamlessly. Through a series of lectures and visual exercises, you will focus on the many individual elements and components that make up the skillset of an interface designer. By the end of this course, you will be able to describe the key formal elements of clear, consistent, and intuitive UI design, and apply your learned skills to the design of a static screen-based interface. This is the first course in the UI/UX Design Specialization, which brings a design-centric approach to user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, and offers practical, skill-based instruction centered around a visual communications perspective, rather than on one focused on marketing or programming alone. These courses are ideal for anyone with some experience in graphic or visual design and who would like to build their skill set in UI or UX for app and web design. It would also be ideal for anyone with experience in front- or back-end web development or human-computer interaction and want to sharpen their visual design and analysis skills for UI or UX....

JN
Nov 20, 2018

I never thought this is possible. I am very grateful to Coursera and Calarts. This is a starting milestone to changing my career life for better. I am ready to pursue more and more with your support.

BB
Mar 31, 2020

This course is very useful for a beginner who is looking for the basics of UI/UX course.\n\nThis course will give you the basic idea of interface design which very important for its advanced studies.

76 - 100 of 891 Reviews for Visual Elements of User Interface Design

By Matthew F

Jan 22, 2020

Great course, very interesting and the instructor has a passion for this stuff and knows how to communicate it. I have never experienced this topic before and wanted to gain a working understanding of it - after this course I feel better prepared but there is clearly alot more to be learned.

By Aryan J

May 3, 2020

It's a very great experience for the learning but I need help as my name change is not reflected in the certificate I have earned. I need the help of respected authorities to tackle this issue or If I have to attend the course I can even do so.whatever option is best, Please let me know

By Annalise J

Jul 8, 2019

Loved this course! Great instructors and material. This is a solid choice for anyone with a Graphic Design background or degree looking to transition into UI/UX design. I would recommend having Graphic Design and Adobe Photoshop+Illustrator experience before beginning this course.

By Christina

Nov 3, 2019

Good course, the example of perfectly organized information and easy study process. Informative and easy to understand videos and other materials, external links and advices. Quick support on forums is also a valuable thing. Thanks a lot to CalArt members who created this course.

By Herosimo S N

Jun 17, 2020

This course is well-structured. Roman as the instructor gave us good practice from his experience as a professional web designer in his studio. I really recommend you to join with this course, and the course after this one, since its one big part to create whole web design.

By Arpit R

Apr 30, 2020

A very well constructed course focuses on the visual elements of user interface design. Instructors are very good and the overall content is very simple and informative. The simplicity yet informative is the USP of this module. Must do for all UI UX beginners. All the best.

By Rutvi M

Sep 10, 2020

The most interesting coursera courses that I had opted for! The videos were extremely comprehensive and the assignments were quite fun to execute and do. Got to learn loads that genuinely helped me learn and explore as an aspiring communication designer! Thankyou!!

By R J

Jan 1, 2020

I had a brief understanding about UI Design before this course, and then this course really brought it home for me. I felt like the courses and the teachings were great and breaking down the basics of what you need to think about when creating UI Designs. Thanks!

By Amponsah E J

Nov 15, 2020

I have learn all about how to collect data and how to assemble them for a project in designing an app or website. I must say I knew nothing but this course have given me all the tools and strategies to do a wonderful job. Thanks to the management of this course.

By Ridkous M

May 2, 2020

The course provided general information in terms of UI Design. It was a captivating experience where I received basic knowledge, besides, I would like to find out more about really good design on some examples from real websites or apps covered in this course.

By Jaqueline K C

Aug 14, 2019

A great course for those looking to start their UX / UI career. The theoretical and practical are well structured. I was pleased with the course because it added so much to my day-to-day work. The information is clear and easy to understand. Really very good.

By Monica G K

Nov 11, 2018

This is such an enriching, fun course. Loved it and can't wait to finish the other modules, it is flawlessly designed to make complex information digestible and so very interesting...

Thank you for this, such an amazing course to take online...brave new world!

By Thiago S

Jan 30, 2020

The course is amazing and challenging. It really gets you into the process of coming up with a coherent and beautiful interface. I really think you end up being capable of designing a User Interface where everything has a reason to be and look the way it is.

By Daniela G

Oct 26, 2019

perfect explenation, but my mates do not considered i passed the course, so this is a problem because i will keep going on doing the course because i dont have that amount of extra time to re do it also, i dont think people will re-evaluate my home work.

By Elena N

Feb 26, 2019

Course gives clear understanding of User Interface basics and it contains bunch of useful practical exercises that makes you start doing something not only listening the course. Great choice for beginners and for those who wants to brush up their skills.

By Lakeya W

Jan 9, 2021

As a graphic designer trying to venture back into the design world, this course breaks down the basics and helps you understand the concept behind UI/UX design. It helps you start to use not just your creative skills, but your analytical brain too.

By Rafael M R

May 22, 2020

El curso te ofrece información muy adecuada a los puntos que trata. La información complementaria que proporcionan enriquecen bastante la teoría. Los ejercicios son sencillos y permiten aterrizar lo aprendido. Ha sido una agradable experiencia.

By Nitish G

Apr 12, 2020

It is a well-structured course and I personally enjoyed working on the assignments. Though I would have loved some more videos on the sketch and pattern library. I highly recommend this course and look forward to completing the specialization!

By Faeze B t

Mar 16, 2020

The projects are great. The only problem I think is in the second project that it's not so clear that we should submit one-page homework and other learners were mistaken and gave low points to my project because the thought it wasn't complete.

By Manasi H

Aug 2, 2019

This course helped me understand the thought and effort that goes behind building an app or easily identifiable content on a website. At first, I just wanted to explore interface design. Now, I am extremely intrigued to learn all its ropes. :)

By Stephann T d V

May 3, 2019

Excelente curso, se aprofunda bastante na teoria com conteúdos que não são fácilmente encontrados por aí. A parte prática com os questionários e as atividades avaliadas entre os alunos são importantes pra treinar o que foi explicado na teoria.

By Beyza A

Jun 2, 2020

I like this course. The way of expression and language is very understandable. The teachers managed this 4-week process very successfully. It is suitable for the beginner level, I liked it very much and I want to take the following lessons :)

By Ayusha T

Apr 29, 2020

Thank you very very much for the course. Taking up the course has sharped my skill of thinking in design field and difference between UI/UX. In addition to this I learned many new things with honest reviews. I learned a lot from my peers too.

By SangAh L

May 30, 2019

It is a good course to learn basic knowledge of user interface design. Creating a mood board and extracting concepts, themes were quite interesting. Designing the pattern library is also helpful to learn and prepare the real design process.

By Ivan V

Oct 1, 2020

It was a very informative course and a great start for those wanting to get into the field of UI design. It is very thorough and you get a lot out of the course. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to pursue in the field of UI design.