Back to Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan by The University of Tokyo

In their ambition to capture “real life,” Japanese painters, poets, novelists and photographers of the nineteenth century collaborated in ways seldom explored by their European contemporaries. This course offers learners the chance to encounter and appreciate behavior, moral standards and some of the material conditions surrounding Japanese artists in the nineteenth century, in order to renew our assumptions about what artistic “realism” is and what it meant. Learners will walk away with a clear understanding of how society and the individual were conceived of and represented in early modern Japan. Unlike contemporary western art forms, which acknowledge their common debt as “sister arts” but remain divided by genre and discourse, Japanese visual and literary culture tended to combine, producing literary texts inspired by visual images, and visual images which would then be inscribed with poems and prose. Noticing and being able to interpret this indivisibility of visual/literary cultures is essential in understanding the social and psychological values embedded within the beauty of Japanese art....

DP
Oct 8, 2020

Very interesting where I finished the whole course 2 weeks before the due date because I really enjoyed it. I have been a Japan fanatic since middle school so this course is really my cup of tea

YM
Nov 30, 2020

It was really fun to learn about the history of such art pieces as well as the notable people behind its creation and influence. Mr. Campbell discussed everything clearly as expected.

76 - 100 of 164 Reviews for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

By Valentina B

Apr 2, 2020

I have studied Japanese culture and art in the past, but this particular topic was incredibly interesting and new to me. The lecturer was very clear and precise, which I found helpful.

By Yashmine P M

Nov 30, 2020

By Regina P

Jun 19, 2020

Marvelous course! I've learned many cultural things about Japan and now I look forward to learning more. The professor was very clear and his examples were really interesting.

By Faye P

Dec 27, 2020

Thank you for showing us even a glimpse of Japan! I've been very fascinated and mesmerized about their culture. I wish there are more courses available like this. Thank you.

By Archisha B

Jul 26, 2020

A very inspiring and informative course. Really broadened my ways of viewing not only Japanese art and literature, but also any other form of art from any part of the world.

By Moritz S

Mar 30, 2020

A very interesting look into intermedial relations between images and writing in early modern to modern Japan. Prof. Campbell's personal collection is certainly impressive!

By OMKAR

Aug 5, 2020

It was such a wonderful course and I'm glad that I've gained an insight into the literary culture of Japan as well as the visual elements associated with it.

By Yan L

Oct 9, 2018

Fantastic course and the teacher is so erudited. After the course, I want to have more MOOCS with this teacher. What an intellectual model this teacher is!

By Коршунова Е В

Nov 3, 2019

I am so grateful for the opportunity to take this course. I would definitely recommend it to everyone who is interested in Japanese art and history.

By Hiranmoy L

Oct 16, 2017

Great course, excellent teaching by sensei. ALthough subtitles sometimes are wrongly interpreted (like 'major restoration' nstead of 'Meiji'

By Andrea K L

Dec 28, 2017

Excellent introduction, I enjoyed this course tremendously, very informative, learned a lot.

Many thanks to Professor Campbell and his team!

By Bert S

Jul 25, 2020

Surprisingly interesting to me. I first thought it had a limited scope but that gradually proved wrong. Thank you for creating the course.

By Jerome H

Jul 10, 2020

面白かった. It is the first time i understood that combination of images and poems or words was a specificity of Japan in the 19-20th century.

By Itziar B

Nov 19, 2020

I really enjoyed and learned, maybe a little short ...

Right now, I want to read a lot of about the themes suggested !!!

Thanks a lot !!!

By William D

Dec 29, 2020

This course provided me a perspective on writing and imagery that I had not considered. A welcome addition to my knowledge of Japan!

By Yujin L

Nov 2, 2018

the lecturer is knowledgeable and engaging. it greatly enriched my appreciation of japanese arts and culture. i highly recommend it.

By JUSTYNA P

Jan 4, 2021

Excellent quality resources (presentations, videos), perfect instruction (the lecturer), and a very, very interesting topic itself.

By Sevde B

Nov 28, 2020

It was definitely a great course! I've learned so much from this course and I'm willing to learn more about all of these subjects.

By Marina d L

Feb 9, 2021

Very interesting, it is a side of Japanese history that I have never got in touch with as a brazilian. Thank you for the classes!

By Anuja S

Jan 27, 2021

Thoroughly fascinating, well-structured, and detailed. Of great value to anyone interested in Japanese history/literature/art.

By Maria J T P

Sep 18, 2020

It was really interesting, I learned a lot about Japan and its ways of expressing true human feelings, I really loved it

By Ozge C

Oct 15, 2017

It was a truly enlightening and highly enjoyable course with an amazing lecturer. My gratitude to all who was involved.

By Susan S

Aug 27, 2020

The course was fascinating and well presented. I look forward to other courses by Mr. Robert Campbell. Thank you.

By Javier A P

Jul 30, 2019

I really like Japan, and I wanted to learn a little more about its culture, so this course has served me a lot.

By Fanny W G

Apr 9, 2019

I love this course. Amazing content provided in very easy to understand lessons! I enjoyed every minute of it!!