Back to Paradoxes of War

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Paradoxes of War by Princeton University

The Paradoxes of War teaches us to understand that war is not only a normal part of human existence, but is arguably one of the most important factors in making us who we are. Through this course, I hope that you will come to appreciate that war is both a natural expression of common human emotions and interactions and a constitutive part of how we cohere as groups. That is, war is paradoxically an expression of our basest animal nature and the exemplar of our most vaunted and valued civilized virtues. You will learn some basic military history and sociology in this course as a lens for the more important purpose of seeing the broader social themes and issues related to war. I want you to both learn about war, but more importantly, use it as way of understanding your everyday social world. So, for example, the discussion of war and gender will serve to start you thinking about how expectations of masculinity are created and our discussion of nationalism will make clear how easy “us-them” dichotomies can be established and (ab)used. I will suggest some readings for you to complement the class and assign some activities through which you will be able to apply the theoretical insights from the course to your observations of everyday life. At the end of the course, you will start to see war everywhere and come to appreciate how much it defines our life. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

DW
Mar 14, 2018

Very interesting topic and well-presented, too. Covers virtually every historic period in which there's been warfare (which, I guess, is every historic period in which there's been people).

JW
Jan 11, 2020

Great course! This course has provided some great information and proposed some important philosophical questions. I wish there were exams and a certificate to go along with it too.

51 - 75 of 144 Reviews for Paradoxes of War

By Francesc B G

Aug 26, 2015

Incedible structure and professor, an absolute must for everyone to understand war as an expression of humman being

By James O

Jun 17, 2020

Enjoyed this very much from start to finish and would highly recommend it from any young military officer.

By Kateryna K

Feb 6, 2018

great course! the only thing I could advice to change is to make the course a bit shorter, a more compact

By Savannah D

Jan 3, 2017

This is one of my favorite courses I've taken. Its very interesting and I really enjoy the lectures.

By Johanna Y

Dec 5, 2016

Just brilliant. After this course you'll get a comprehensive idea of war, and of the society itself.

By 刘又一

Feb 23, 2016

Bring you into a world of art of war with much better interpretation than Sun Tzu and Machiavelli.

By Gilberto O S

Oct 13, 2015

Very interesting topics about war and human history are analyzed in this course. Very recommended.

By Laura D I L

May 31, 2016

This is an amazing and interesting course. I am really enjoying it, the explanations are clear.

By Anil O

Oct 27, 2015

This course is supling different perspective for people who are interesting war sociology.

By Harun A

Feb 15, 2016

A well structured programme that adds a more informed perspective to current events.

By Mandhir S

Apr 7, 2021

Excellent course. Really liked the Professors teaching style and knowledge-base.

By Henry-Claude B

Feb 28, 2019

I liked a lot this course.

Thank you for your humanism and bravo for yours skills.

By Kam L

Jun 5, 2021

Puts a new perspective on how war affects civilization and the future of war.

By Mariya G

Aug 11, 2017

Well-structured and organised course! I would recommend it to my colleagues.

By Maria d L C P

Aug 26, 2015

An incredible course with an amazing instructor. I love everything about it.

By Christophe A M C B

Aug 25, 2015

A fantastic course if you want to realy understand what is to be a soldier.

By Olga L

Dec 11, 2017

very interesting view and perspective on a sensitive and difficult subject

By Tom B

Oct 21, 2018

Outstanding! Very informative, nonpolitical and thought provoking.

By Filippo T

Apr 29, 2016

Really good! Great teacher and very good structure and arguments.

By Miguel A E

May 15, 2016

Flexible Learning. Communicates directly to us. Intellectual.

By Marcel B

Jul 31, 2021

Very good course I hope there will be a part2 in the future

By Madeleine W

Mar 9, 2017

Really interesting course which allows for new insights.

By Ivan d A V J

Feb 8, 2016

Great teacher! Very interesting lessons and material.

By Tim J

Aug 28, 2015

Great teacher, very passionate. Cheers from Australia.

By Сангаков Р М

Oct 18, 2021

​a decent course with a good professor. I appreciated