Back to Building Web Applications in PHP

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building Web Applications in PHP by University of Michigan

In this course, you'll explore the basic structure of a web application, and how a web browser interacts with a web server. You'll be introduced to the request/response cycle, including GET/POST/Redirect. You'll also gain an introductory understanding of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), as well as the basic syntax and data structures of the PHP language, variables, logic, iteration, arrays, error handling, and superglobal variables, among other elements. An introduction to Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) will allow you to style markup for webpages. Lastly, you'll gain the skills and knowledge to install and use an integrated PHP/MySQL environment like XAMPP or MAMP....

YY
Feb 9, 2018

Even being quite an expert in area, I still enjoyed this course a lot and learning quite much from it as well. Highly recommended to everyone who developed an interest to PHP and web-applications.

VN
Feb 20, 2018

Thanks for a great course by which I learn a lot of experience from the experts :-). One of the my assignments has been gradually developed into a more robust site at https://englishpicture.net

676 - 700 of 728 Reviews for Building Web Applications in PHP

Nov 2, 2019

Wholesome

By Ashish K U

Sep 20, 2020

good

By Avirup M

Sep 8, 2020

good

By Roshan P

Jul 25, 2020

good

By Shaeed A H

Jun 6, 2020

good

By Louie S

Nov 6, 2019

easy

By Christoph A

Jul 30, 2020

I appreciated the historic background information and the charismatic presentation of the lecturer. The explanations of the request response cycle and the HTTP protocol were very helpful and installing and using the required software was relatively painless, even on a linux system.

However, the assignments were a bit lacking. The first weeks were way too easy. It was mostly a repetition of HTML and CSS basics and then the installation of the web service stack. Only in the last weeks is there any meaningful programming. But even that was not very challening since every assignment comes with a 80% complete template solution where you just have to fill in a few lines. The course is advertised as intermediate, but to me it did not feel like that at all.

By Torsten H

Aug 31, 2020

In Week 5, we finally start learning PHP and we also are told that the instructor hopes it's not our first programming language. Start with Python first maybe, he says. !!! Well, that might have been handy to know at the outset. So, now I'm left wondering if I should start Python first...

Other than that, so far I am enjoying the course immensely. The instructor is humorous, has some fun historical information (which I happen to like) and explains things generally well.

By Jose V

Jan 25, 2021

The lectures were excellent, but the projects were oversimplified where only 2 or 3 lines of code needed to be modified out of 70. Would have been better to have to make more substantial additions to the code, with coaching available.

I didn't feel like I left with knowledge that was going to stick. I will see how I feel after I take more courses in the specialty.

By Tuomo P

Aug 12, 2019

The assignments are frustratingly worded. It takes time to get your head around the goals of the assignments. However, a great course for a true beginner to get a taste of html, css & PHP. You need to learn how to code PHP later though, this is mostly about modifying existing source codes.

By Palavi R

Aug 20, 2020

I did not understand the last part week 8, it was very hard to understand what was the professor trying to explain, GET POST , I did get the jist but hard to understand