Back to Building Web Applications in PHP

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building Web Applications in PHP by University of Michigan

In this course, you'll explore the basic structure of a web application, and how a web browser interacts with a web server. You'll be introduced to the request/response cycle, including GET/POST/Redirect. You'll also gain an introductory understanding of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), as well as the basic syntax and data structures of the PHP language, variables, logic, iteration, arrays, error handling, and superglobal variables, among other elements. An introduction to Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) will allow you to style markup for webpages. Lastly, you'll gain the skills and knowledge to install and use an integrated PHP/MySQL environment like XAMPP or MAMP....

YY
Feb 9, 2018

Even being quite an expert in area, I still enjoyed this course a lot and learning quite much from it as well. Highly recommended to everyone who developed an interest to PHP and web-applications.

VN
Feb 20, 2018

Thanks for a great course by which I learn a lot of experience from the experts :-). One of the my assignments has been gradually developed into a more robust site at https://englishpicture.net

51 - 75 of 851 Reviews for Building Web Applications in PHP

By Subham S

May 2, 2020

A wonderful course... I am very new to web development and I had very limited knowledge on front-end (HTML,CSS). Now I am equipped with broader understanding of the subject and more confident in developing better web apps. Dr. Chuck's lectures are easy to follow and the course material is very organized. Has a blast while learning!

By Michelle C

Oct 12, 2020

I took this course to refresh my knowledge of php and get a better understanding of more modern web app practices. I felt the course was good for that and the instructor was very informative. I like his style of explaining the history of everything as it helped me understand how the things I learned many years ago have changed.

By Fang X

Nov 6, 2017

I love this course. The lectures are great, and Dr. Chuck shows us the history background of web making which makes us see the bigger picture and understand the logic better. The assignments are awesome, some are a little challenging but not too hard to complete. Can't wait to go through the rest of the courses of this series.

By Andrea M

Mar 14, 2019

I know several programming languages and I have been programming for a while but I think that this course really made understand much better how the web works and gave me solid foundations to build on top of for PHP. I also think the length is pretty reasonable and the assignment really make you realize what is the code about

By Brandon A

Aug 23, 2018

Very good class in PHP. The end of this class ties in wonderfully with all topics learned. I didn't have a background in PHP only SQL only. This is a great class to learn and take, especially if you are interested in HTML,CSS and PHP. All of these things are covered in detail and swiftly but are needed for the end assignment.

By Samuel A

Aug 10, 2018

I had some background experience in HTML/CSS/JS before taking this course, so I was able to jump quickly through the middle part of this course. Overall, this course gave me a good introduction to some of the syntax of PHP, and the instructor did a great job of explaining the request-response cycle throughout each week.

By Soh W K

Mar 25, 2018

Excellent Course!!! If you can speed up and keep focused, it's very possible to complete this course within 1 week! However, you have to maintain at least 8 hours of focused learning per day to ensure that you understand what Dr. Chuck is offering. His wealth of experience allow you to learn the course very quickly!

By Sundeep D

Jul 15, 2020

Extremely useful course:

If you really want to know hard things with course then :

after each video take your time to research online and view resources like w3school too to widen your knowledge.

If you fail your test continue to read next chapter and then revise later on the portion you failed your exams with.

By SATHISH S

Oct 9, 2020

fantastic course, assignments are easy if we follow and practise quiz, forums must help, really nice course, dr chuck is full of energy to teach. learnt some front end and back end. assignments just require to edit, but that requires you to understand the logic required and php knowledge. thoroughly enjoyed

By DEVDATT

Sep 2, 2021

I was very confused when I joined, at that time I was not a young man. I was thinking that how can i finish this course, but because of the amazing help from the instructor, Mr. Stephen I was able to complete this course with a 100% Grade.

Dr. Chuck is a great personality and highly knowledgeable professor.​

By Suyash G

Jul 14, 2020

Really amazing course. Gave me an introduction to web development and PHP, and surprisingly made me interested in web security. Very good course material and Dr. Chuck was just wonderful. Loved his lectures, teaching techniques and his little quips and jokes. Looking forward to exploring the field further.

By Franziska B

Aug 17, 2020

Having already learned some JavaScript before, I felt the pace and depth of being introduced to PHP was just right. I loved most about this course that we also learned some historical background knowledge about the languages and how they are related. I'll definitely take more courses with Dr. Chuck! :)

By Dan H

Oct 24, 2017

This is really an excellent course

Have learnt a great deal and feel I could master PHP now.

I loved the way it was presented, the challenging assignments, all the help we were given; just everything about the course. This course definitely fills a big gap in available courses and the other 2 as well.

By Raghunaath R R

Feb 11, 2020

One word "Awesome". Who ever wants to learn the web application using PHP i will recommend this course 200%. In depth detail and every details count while your creating an web application.

Special thanks to Charles Russell Severance, Clinical Professor, School of Information and also Coursera team.

By Ashley U

Oct 6, 2019

Excellent introduction to PHP. Just the right degree of difficulty such that you are not given all the answers in advance, have to do some exploring and modifying the code yourself, and will therefore retain the information. Dr. Chuck was an excellent instructor and very engaging, even virtually.

By Philippe M

Dec 21, 2020

It is difficult to do otherwise, but the correction by a robot gives sometimes behaviors difficult to understand ... (I wrote "you won" instead of "you win" and this resulted in a mistake ...!).

That said, the course is clear and the important points are well highlighted.

Well done and thank you

By Kevin S

Nov 14, 2021

If you are wanting to know more about developing Web Applications with PHP, you could do no better than to take this course. The lectures are interesting and informative and the assignments are very education. This is a really great course for anyone wanting to get into PHP and Web Development.

By Shantanu S

Apr 3, 2021

great course for people with previous knowledge in programming languages like python or c++ who want to learn web. prior knowledge of HTML and basic css is important for smooth flow of the course or you will need external resources to do assignments and understand some of the codes.

By pocholo p

Oct 28, 2020

I really enjoy this course! Every assignment gives me excitement because at first I didn't really know what to do. But because of my strong determination to learn more studying the concept and through the help of discussion forum I made it to passed all the assignments. Thank you

By SAMIT P B ( i C

Jul 20, 2020

What a wonderful teacher. This course is mainly geared towards intuition building more than the exact coding and it does an excellent job in doing that. Charles is among the most inspiring teacher I've come across in any MOOC I've taken. Its a must if you're just getting into PHP

By Ediongsenyene J I

Nov 17, 2020

An excellent course for those starting out in web applications. I also must say that the course instructor is really good alongside the team at the discussion forum. For the first in my online learning, I found the discussion forum of much use. A big thumbs up for this course.

By Santos L T

Mar 28, 2021

Muchas gracias Dr Charles Russell, Universidad de Michigan y Coursera por la calidad de estos cursos.

Dr Charles, su forma de explicar es realmente emocionante. Conocí nuevas herramientas como Ngrok, y nuevos Frameworks de modelo Vista Controlador en PHP que desconocía.

By Sankalp S

Feb 19, 2018

Its was a great course, well taught, the forums and support was excellent. I had a great time solving the somewhat challenging assignments of the last two weeks. The course encourages you to find your own solution to problems and does not spoon feed. Overall i loved it.

By RAVINDAR S R

Oct 1, 2020

To getting the basic Knowledge about web development in PHP it's the good course .

Apart from that course will provide you some extra tool (like NGROK etc) and some other tools knowledge.

My overall experience is very good now I have confidence to learn more about PHP.

By Peter K

Apr 16, 2020

WOW! Simply AMAZING! This class was one of the BEST classes I have ever taken in my life!

Prof. Severance is very gifted and knows how to convey the new information in a very helpful way. The material covered is AWESOME, the pace is perfect. Thank you, Prof Chuck!!!