Back to Introduction to Financial Accounting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Financial Accounting by University of Pennsylvania

Master the technical skills needed to analyze financial statements and disclosures for use in financial analysis, and learn how accounting standards and managerial incentives affect the financial reporting process. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to read the three most common financial statements: the income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows. Then you can apply these skills to a real-world business challenge as part of the Wharton Business Foundations Specialization....

EY
Sep 19, 2019

The course is very easy to understand, and most importantly it is fun to learn accounting! I find this course covers basic yet comprehensive contents compared to other basic accounting online courses.

MM
Feb 3, 2016

I took Brian Bushee's course and found him to be one of the BEST INSTRUCTORS I'VE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. If you've had trouble with accounting courses in the past, HE IS THE INSTRUCTOR FOR YOU!!!

176 - 200 of 1,586 Reviews for Introduction to Financial Accounting

By Ziyi W

May 1, 2019

Brilliant course! Professor Bushee is a great lecturer that can clearly explain and illustrate the content. The workload of the course is also surprisingly huge compared to some online courses. I really learned a lot about accounting. I especially love the virtual classroom which makes the class more interactive and amusing.

By Thomas F

Mar 31, 2019

Great Intro as the name states, I aspire to become an entrepreneur. I think that this course is a good corner stone to move towards this path. The teacher is as fun as an accounting professor can be and that is what made it so much more enjoyable. I am going to do the next part of these two part course and see how it goes!

By Andrew F

Dec 27, 2015

Brian Bushee is an amazing teacher, the best teacher I've had so far on Coursera. He's knowledgeable, clear, and has a good humor about him as well. The course covers a good chunk of detail while still being manageable even if you have a busy schedule. I was able to pass with great marks with about 6 hours a week of work.

By Max B

Feb 27, 2016

Outstanding delivery of very sharp content, a perfect introduction to the world of financial accounting. Very clever presentations cut by subject by week with an often hilarious virtual class asking the questions that Prof. Bushee teases out with the material to ensure a sound understanding of the fundamentals. Loved it!

By Inés K

Aug 6, 2020

I just loved this course (which is a miracle, given that I am not at all into accounting). I appreciated Professor Bushee's sense of humor, his examples that made things a lot clearer, and the way the class was anchored in real life (the 3M report). I'm almost sad that there is no other class with Professor Bushee!

By Aizada M k

Aug 1, 2018

I loved how Professor is skillful in conveying the message to the students. Even to those that are completely new to the accounting. I loved the virtual students, because sometimes they asked the questions I wanted to ask too. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is willing to expand their knowledge

By Joan Y

Feb 18, 2016

As a student majoring in accounting, I think this course is very interesting and easy to understand at the very beginning. For the later part, it's a little bit hard but still very useful. Of course I'll need further study and I'm really grateful that I've enrolled this one. Many thanks to Professor Brian Bushee!

By Paula M

Nov 19, 2015

Easily one of the most enjoyable classes I've taken on Coursera. You can tell the instructor put a lot of time into designing the course. The videos are well structured and he uses 'virtual students' to both add levity but also answer some of the real time questions he knows his students are having. Great class!!

By Mochammad F A

Dec 26, 2019

This course very helpful for me as my started step to moved from technology side to financial business side. Give me a complete understand about accounting language as preparation to be future business leaders. Thank you for Professor Brian Bushee that makes accounting class more fun but still with best quality.

By Zwee D T D

Aug 4, 2019

I have never knew Accounting can be this fun. The lecturer did a phenomenal job of explaining Accounting concepts in an easy-to-understand & intuitive way, as well as how to apply them in real-world companies' finances, all while making the class fun. I'm much more confident in analyzing financial statement now.

By Mohamed O A

Nov 30, 2015

Course was detailed (not light course like lots of online courses)

Course full of examples which is my best way to learn

Instructor,Brian, was funny makes learning such material amazing ( I expected it will be boring full of abstract math)

Assignments are not easy and not impossible to solve, it just needs thinking

By Mykhailo K

Nov 29, 2015

Overall, I found this course very helpful! Information presented in a friendly manner and easy to understand. Thank you, to every one who spend there time and effort to prepare this course, especially for Brian Bushee and his jokes ;)

P.S. Some chapters need update, as they contain information from previous year.

By Mohammad J A

Nov 8, 2020

Really loved Professor Bushee's presentation style especially his virtual students and the humour that he used very effectively! :-)

In terms of very specific feedback, I would have loved to see some more problems for practice prior to the tests at the end. That would have certainly made the course more useful!

By Ridhi J

Apr 14, 2021

The course has been really good in explaining the basic concepts of Finance and Accounting. Professor Brian Bushee is a phenomenal teacher. He elucidates all the theoretical concepts with real-life examples, which helps the students understand the concepts more deeply and enable better application of the same.

By Juan D D

Mar 6, 2016

So far it's been a nice course I've learned a lot of things I didn't although I think its too short. I would like some more exercises instead of the quizzes but its a really nice course, the professor is very clear on his explanations, and the example he uses during the videos are very very useful!

Nice work!

By Uday G

May 14, 2019

Professor Brian's course really helped me go a long way in understanding the fundamentals of Accounting. The course is extremely well structured and the way he explains concepts is excellent. I also adore his sense of humour in the way he uses the virtual students and it helps keep the videos more engaging.

By Federico B

Dec 28, 2017

I really enjoyed the lessons; the pace is right also for those, like myself, who have never had previous learning experiences on this subject.

The animated puppets always ask interesting and focused questions. I do think that this funny interaction with the professor, in the end, helps the learning process.

By Danielle M

This is a great course, and it's taught by a really wonderful and engaging tutor. However, it is not for the faint hearted. If you don't truly grasp the rules, it's very difficult to pass...it's not just about memorizing a bunch of equations. But I loved it for this, analytical skills have gone up a level!

By Minas-Marios V

Sep 17, 2017

Really good course on Accounting basics! I had no idea about Accounting before taking it, but after completing it I can understand most of the stuff that a detailed financial statement includes! The professor is doing an excellent work in explaining the details, and the whole experience was very fun too!

By Anita J

Mar 14, 2019

Professor Bushee is fantastic. I am a visual/hands on learner. Therefore the earlier parts of the course where there were a lot of examples and practice questions I mastered really well. It did become challenging at the end but overall with the amount of effort I put in I am content with the results.

By Sudhindra

Dec 21, 2015

Just completed Week 1 of the course and found the material absolutely wonderful. Not afraid to say that for the first time in my life (after having completed my MBA 15 years back), I can tell debit from credits with conviction! Looking forward to the rest of the lessons.

Thanks so much Professor Bushee!

By Angela C

Apr 21, 2017

It is just amazing. This is maybe the best online course I've taken. It is very interactive and keeps you awake.

I loved the idea of the students participating, and also the professor's attitude is like if they were actually real students.

Thank you and congratulations for such an amazing course!

Angela

By Kamil P

Jan 27, 2018

It is a really nice depiction of introductory topics in accounting. The material covered explains and links clearly aspects of accounting criteria. In addition, the material provides with knowledge how to interpret data on financial statements, e.g. balance sheet. What I liked was real life examples.

By Bharath

Apr 24, 2020

Prof. Brian Bushee is truly a genius. He has smartly incorporated a fun way to introduce concepts on accounting and I only wish to learn more such wonderful concepts from him. I strongly recommend this course as well as the advanced courses on accounting to the Financial world enthusiasts out there.

By Tochukwu I

Dec 3, 2015

I was able to learn Financial Accounting with ease. The course was well structured and the Professor (Brian Bushee) is simply amazing with great sense of humour. And with the inclusion of the virtual students that ask questions makes you feel you are inside a classroom and that facilitates learning.