Back to Introduction to Financial Accounting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Financial Accounting by University of Pennsylvania

Master the technical skills needed to analyze financial statements and disclosures for use in financial analysis, and learn how accounting standards and managerial incentives affect the financial reporting process. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to read the three most common financial statements: the income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows. Then you can apply these skills to a real-world business challenge as part of the Wharton Business Foundations Specialization....

EY
Sep 19, 2019

The course is very easy to understand, and most importantly it is fun to learn accounting! I find this course covers basic yet comprehensive contents compared to other basic accounting online courses.

MM
Feb 3, 2016

I took Brian Bushee's course and found him to be one of the BEST INSTRUCTORS I'VE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. If you've had trouble with accounting courses in the past, HE IS THE INSTRUCTOR FOR YOU!!!

1476 - 1500 of 1,518 Reviews for Introduction to Financial Accounting

Jul 14, 2019

nice

By Abubakar E

Nov 22, 2020

Professor Bushee is an amazing teacher. the course covers extremely important topics in accounting. however, after the first two weeks( which were absolutely amazing), it felt like everything suddenly moved from 0-100 real quick. the explanations to concepts became more and more superficial and difficult to digest. i had to watch the 3rd week's contents at least 3 times over to understand, and by the 4th week, I had almost no excitement to see what we would be covering during the week. I simply pushed through to get my certificate.

The pacing also got very weird. the professor would reference a topic that we were to cover in a future video or week and then we would end up not covering it, or he'd only spend a few seconds talking about it. the last two weeks felt like 4 weeks worth of content that were forcefully condensed into two weeks.

By michele b

Dec 29, 2015

Although Professor Bushee is very good, the matter is not really entertaining, especially during the first two weeks of the course.

To actually learn and pass the exam it is not sufficient to watch the videos, some work should be done at home.

To improve the course I would suggest to introduce more homework with written solutions or to lengthen the parts of the videos where exercises and examples are shown. Also, in these parts, the theoretical concepts explained in the previous videos could be reminded more often.

By Phillip T D

Feb 19, 2016

Good course but the quizzes are multiple choice / multiple answer so each question is really like 5 questions. And, the related content for each quiz question is hard to track down once you've already gone through the video lessons.

There should be a tie back to the original content within the quiz grading so that a more narrow focus can be made for the missed questions.

By Morgan R

Jan 28, 2018

Professor Bushee is very enaging, and tries very hard to make a rather dry topic interesting. The quizes feel purposefully tricky, which makes it hard to feel like your actually learning the material. Overall I feel like the course created more questions than it answered, and I feel like I now have the tools to learn the material, instead of feeling like I learned it.

By Diana A

Jun 3, 2017

Good overview. I wouldn't call it complete intro. I have a good understanding of finance from 10 years of non-profit management experience, but I found that this course didn't explain basic terms to start and assumed that you know all the definitions. That said, I got a lot out of this course and now know what to look for moving forward.

By Shuang Z

Jul 7, 2020

Some of the concepts like dividend, retained earnings and additional paid-in capital are not clearly explained, so It's troublesome when I encountered questions related to those topics on the exam. This course is somewhat confusing, maybe because of its short length. But I still learned things from it.

By Michael D

Aug 1, 2020

Although the professor was personable, I feel like the material was going by too quickly. It would be nice to have some kind of textbook. There should be a way to make sure that the student doesn't constantly refer to notes during the exam, but I guess nothing can be done about that.

By Rodrigo I G C

Apr 24, 2020

As an Accounting and finance graduate, this was a basic course that I had to take for earning the specialization certificate. For me the most valuable part of the course was week 4, as it helped me remember the important ratios necessary to better evaluate my company.

By Christopher N J

Apr 20, 2017

It's a good basic course to know how accounting generally works. I'm not sure if it's because of the kind of topic this is but maybe the concepts could be presented in another way that is more engaging as it feels more like a passive learning experience.

By Joseph M

Apr 3, 2020

There was so much information flying by so quickly it was hard to keep track. It was good information, but there wasn’t enough explanation for 99% of it before he moved on. And the virtual students made me feel uncomfortable.

By Asheem M

Apr 12, 2017

Prof Bushee made the course interesting via the use of the virtual students and his quirky sense of humor. Accounting is a drab subject, and he did a good job of mixing examples and real world situations with the content.

By JODY T

Jul 19, 2020

Grading system quite hard. i found it too difficult to keep up with the grading system. i think it must be changed into single answer, eventhough there got several answer tickboxes. at least give 0.5 or 0.3 point

By Andressa H B d O

Sep 11, 2016

Excellent professor and material, however, it is my evaluation that more time was needed for the program to be explored thoroughly. I felt as if, most of the time, we were just running thru to meet the schedule.

By Darby S

Jan 29, 2019

Good course! Financial accounting is hard. I have a bad memory and there are a lot of terms so it was very challenging but passable. Brian is a good professor.

By Ganesan

Jan 15, 2019

Was quite difficult to understand, might have design much simpler way . Probably with lengthier and easier approach.

By Kelly D

May 8, 2017

For me it was very hard to understand - I feel like I still don't understand it :/ BUT good teacher, he was good.