Back to Improving Communication Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving Communication Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to communicate more effectively at work and achieve your goals. Taught by award-winning Wharton professor and best-selling author Maurice Schweitzer, Improving Communications Skills is an essential course designed to give you both the tools you need to improve your communication skills, and the most successful strategies for using them to your advantage. You'll learn how to discover if someone is lying (and how to react if they are), how to develop trust, the best method of communication for negotiation, and how to apologize. You'll also learn when to cooperate and when to compete, how to create persuasive messages, ask thoughtful questions, engage in active listening, and choose the right medium (face-to-face conversation, video conference, phone call, or email) for your messages. By the end of the course, you'll be able to understand what others want, respond strategically to their wants and needs, craft convincing and clear messages, and develop the critical communication skills you need to get ahead in business and in life....

MG
Mar 11, 2020

This course surpassed my expectation. I can not only apply what I have learned in my professional life but also can help me to improve some personal aspects, like communication with my family members.

SP
Sep 9, 2020

An absolutely wonderful course on communication skills. Its a course every professional should take as it teaches the very basics of communication that we all should incorporate and practice everyday.

326 - 350 of 391 Reviews for Improving Communication Skills

By Karen Y

Did not feel I learned as much as I could because quizzes were not permitted to be taken without grade as an auditor. I was able to take quizzes in other classes which was a much more beneficial approach to learning. I enjoyed the professor and the material, however, and thank you for offering this free course during my COVID-19 quarantine.

By Mehrunisa B

Jan 4, 2020

An incredibly motivational classes besides of thought provoking. It helps to think over good perspectives of every actions. Makes me to built firm relationships. And to cultivate new ideology. I leant when to trust and when not,and benefits of goal settings, Key ideas about deception, effective speaking...

By HIMANSHU I L S

May 13, 2020

This course helped me a lot. Many a times I was able to relate to the teachings ang examples and other times I was left thinking, pondering over the lessons and consequences. It will definitely help me being a better version of myself. Thanks to Coursera to introducing us to such a wonderful course

By Yuliya P

Jun 5, 2018

Quite useful though in some cases quite general. Very easy to follow the presenter. The idea of the course is to get some take-away points and start practicing them in your daily life. So don't expect to become a professional communicators but rather expect some useful ideas. Thank you!

By James E

Dec 13, 2019

This course is incredibly realistic and awesome. It gives different psychological approaches to solving several different niggling issues as 'how to gain trust' and 'detection deception'. However, some points expatiated I think could be viewed more relatively. Especially signalling.

By Meghavi

May 16, 2018

Back to basics course on communication. Well developed modules as communication is not just jargons, vocabulary but also about building a relation. The faculty Prof. Maurice is extremely knowledgeable and well researched on the topic.

By Manuel G

May 12, 2017

Very interesting. From my point of view, it offers a good grasp of the theorethical basis which underlies the different phenomena explained and good practical stories which illustrate them. I enjoyed it and recommend it.

By Luca B

May 14, 2020

Through several examples, the course explains a lot of the ins and outs of communication. It is well built and consistent, focusing on ways to understand and enhance how to communicate in a constructive manner.

By Ramiro J S A

May 3, 2020

Although the course deals with very important topics about communication in different settings, especially in business, it does not integrate these concepts with the other courses in this specialization.

By Mandhir S

Apr 6, 2021

Decent course. Good basic understanding. However, some of the examples left us hanging ie what about the Cop who convinced the suspect to plead guilty - how did he do it, why only in half hour?

By Igor L

Apr 11, 2020

The course covers very important and interesting topics in a very accessibe way. I would like to get more practical tips on how to implement what is tought in a real life.

By Pierre-Yves B

Apr 4, 2018

Very informative, but I would have liked some more practical experience or exercises. The many examples given were very illustrative though. Good course.

By Nassia B

Sep 18, 2020

Almost all materials were incredibly useful, apart from the Goals section in Week 4 - I didn't really find a connection with communicating effectively.

By Maitri J

I really enjoyed the videos and the case studies/ stories presented in the videos, they really help me understand the concept in a real life manner.

By Mohamed G M

it is a great course and has alot of information in it, it opens your mind to a new aspects that you didnot know that it exists .

By Yasmin A

Aug 25, 2019

Way too much information. I feel it needed to be two courses rather than one. Otherwise, really good content. Thank you.

By Maedeh G

This course was very informative for me. I learned some useful information that's gonna help me a lot in the workspace.

By Sarah A

Sep 17, 2020

The presenter is really good. I wish if there was more connection between various topics talked about in this course.

By Leandro C M

Oct 18, 2018

Could be more focused on communication skills

Video examples of excellent communicators would also help and inspire

By Patrick E

Aug 4, 2017

Engaging lectures that help you consider and apply ideas people use every day in a more conscious, structured way.

By Anastasia P

Feb 15, 2018

Good course for the theory on the different elements that influence our personnal and workplace communication.

By Roberto M

Sep 23, 2018

I think the course could be improved by adding some exercises so that students can practice what they learn.

By Maurizio P

Jun 16, 2017

Interesting and well structured course. Clear explainations, very useful the examples from news.

By Yaki M

Aug 7, 2020

Quite an interesting course. Provides perspective on our daily lives and communication.

By Abdur R A

Mar 7, 2020

it was a good journey to learn different techniques of communication with the course.