Back to Customer Analytics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Customer Analytics by University of Pennsylvania

Data about our browsing and buying patterns are everywhere. From credit card transactions and online shopping carts, to customer loyalty programs and user-generated ratings/reviews, there is a staggering amount of data that can be used to describe our past buying behaviors, predict future ones, and prescribe new ways to influence future purchasing decisions. In this course, four of Wharton’s top marketing professors will provide an overview of key areas of customer analytics: descriptive analytics, predictive analytics, prescriptive analytics, and their application to real-world business practices including Amazon, Google, and Starbucks to name a few. This course provides an overview of the field of analytics so that you can make informed business decisions. It is an introduction to the theory of customer analytics, and is not intended to prepare learners to perform customer analytics. Course Learning Outcomes: After completing the course learners will be able to... Describe the major methods of customer data collection used by companies and understand how this data can inform business decisions Describe the main tools used to predict customer behavior and identify the appropriate uses for each tool Communicate key ideas about customer analytics and how the field informs business decisions Communicate the history of customer analytics and latest best practices at top firms...

ND

Jan 31, 2019

Though I have worked on Customer Analytics with my previous work experiences and also on Surveys etc at George Brown College Canada, this module was more than insightful. Lots of learning to learn eh!

MA

Aug 05, 2020

This course includes a comprehensive overview of the all the basic models that are used to analyze data concerning customer behavior. The real-life examples made it easier to relate to those theories.

1826 - 1850 of 2,065 Reviews for Customer Analytics

By Christine A

Nov 10, 2018

The information was useful - some material was review and some was new to me. I found that several of the quiz questions were not answerable based on the content presented in the lectures, PPT slides and additional reading material. This was very frustrating. I listed to the lectures and took copious notes. I reviewed the PPT slides and transcripts of the lectures. I read the additional material and took notes on it. But I had to take the quizzes multiple times in order to pass because some of the questions were not directly or indirectly related to the material.

By Courtney F

Jul 21, 2020

The lecturer for Predictive Analytics had barely any slides so being successful meant following him completely through the video which I do not think he was as good as explaining certain concepts as the first and third professors were. The last quiz also had barely to do with the Applications content in the final week of lectures - looking through the slides after failing on the first attempt was pointless. Overall, I learned a lot but the teaching style of the second professor and the final quiz were not really indicative of what was taught during the session.

By Andreas D

Nov 20, 2018

The general overview was good and a refresher what I was taught in uni 15 years ago. The material looks a bit old-fashioned and some slides look like the content was 'thrown together'.

I am missing going into details, particularly in calculating optimum price. The use of Excel Solver was not even mentioned to calculate the exact price, rather than determining it through a graph which is there or there about.

Also was missing kind of how to actually calculate CLV with Excel (I have seen a formula in the slides once, but that doesn't tell me much).

By Guilherme S

Oct 07, 2015

You can see that the teachers now what they are talking about... but this seems to be a stripped and then again stripped version of a real class. Some courses at coursera are the entire university classes and you learn a lot from them. In those 5 weeks of this course there is not that much content, so you end up thinking... where can i get more information about each single topic mentioned. References to external resources are pretty weak so far. I've loved the classes, but it each "week" could be a course on its own, with much more content.

By Dejan H

Mar 25, 2018

Unfortunately I did not feel that this course entirely delivered on its objective. At moments I felt that the number of topics being covered was too large and the scope too broad. Probably the best lecture was week 3, followed by week 2 and week 5. Topics covered should build on each-other in a more natural progression and some introduction of practical examples and actual modeling exercises would allow the learners to try to apply some of the concepts being covered. More examples and tie-ins to real-world usage are a must.

By Toby P

Oct 19, 2015

Pros: Concentrated material covered clearly and efficiently. For the limited number of video material (~1/week), there is a lot of basic concepts explained well.

Cons: Few specific examples, which I think reinforce the abstract material presented. I think going though some numbers really drives a point home, and not having examples left me feeling a bit adrift.

Overall: Good information and food for though, but not a lot of actual analytics. Take if you don't have but want experience in this area.

By Nitin B

May 06, 2020

The course gave a good overview of the techniques in customer analytics that have been used and are currently employed by the industry. However, I felt the course could've been better if it helped develop an intuitive understanding of the concepts. Taking real-life case studies and actually going about solving the problems would have more useful. For instance, a case like "Suppose you're a category manager and want to identify low-value customers, how to go about it?" would have helped a lot.

By Miguel G

Apr 24, 2020

The course overall is good, and it helps you gain very important concepts in the fields of Marketing, Analytics, and Statistics. But I have to say that the Week 3 course test really ruined my experience of this course. Very subjective and hard questions, which is not at all common in the courses of Coursera that I have taken. Just made me feel tired, demotivated, and I saw in the forum that I was not yhe only one, so I hope that some kind of change can be done for future students.

By Poorvi G

Jul 12, 2020

Hey this was my first time learning a course on coursera and trust me it went smooth and good. i feel learned about a lot of things i was unaware about back then. I felt the content and theoritical knowledge was on point but where it lacked the most was the practical knowledge. Like i have all the information now what do i do with it when i join a firm. Do i do the calculations myself or what? Kind of leaves you in a incomplete shell!

By Eugene W

Jun 26, 2017

1) Lack of hands on practice with the Buy Til You Die model.

2) The concepts in Weeks 2 to 5 are already well covered in technology blogs and news sites - I'd have liked to see more current material such as 'Overview of Different Types of Marketing Attribution (Heuristic, Algorithmic..), 'Cohort Analyses', 'How Digital Advertising / Programmatic Media works', 'Web Analytics' etc.

3) Hands-on exercises with R or Excel would be ideal.

By Merryl H V

Apr 18, 2017

I found this course interesting. I have just completed my MBA and I found that the course covered quites few topics of what I had learned. It also helped link them better. The examples quoted from companies that are implementing analytics was helpful in understanding how it could be implemented effectively.

One of the suggestions I would have is to include hands on implementation of some of the analytics tools that could be used.

By Nishant Y

Jun 03, 2020

The course is well designed but the examples and some content was first, outdated and secondly was in the context of the US rather than being an omnipresent firm. Also, some topics were rather discussed in brief than detail and if discussed in details the course could have been much more effective. Overall the course is a good step towards understanding a certain aspect of analytics in the field of Marketing.

By Srikanth M N

Apr 14, 2020

1) Raghu Iyengar spoke about Regression and Regression models, tables and calculations. It would have been good if there were few slides around how Regression calculations are done. Just the formulae is mentioned, but calculations of pearson's coefficient, sloe of the line is not explained making it confusing for learners to understand.

2) No mathematical calculation examples explained around RFM and WTP

By ABHINIT P

Apr 19, 2018

I really enjoyed lectures by Prof. Iyengar and prof Bradlow. They were very helpful in understanding the basics and the applications. I also like Dr. Peter Fader's approach of teaching a concept though a story. I hope Dr. Berman can innovate and come up with more interesting ways to hold the audience and teach the concepts as currently sitting through his lectures is quite a task.

By Bruno G

Nov 20, 2015

Classes were interesting, although a bit light. I would also have liked to have more explanations on the quizzes to make sure the material was fully understood. And reading references would have added to the experience. It felt a bit like the class was kept basic in order to make the corresponding "specialization" package more attractive. Slightly disappointing.

By Digant R K

Mar 22, 2016

Predictive Analysis (week 2) and Application / Case Studies (week 4), were the best part of the course, and I genuinely learned things that I will try to implement in my small family business. However, Weeks 1 and 3 were highly disappointing (to put it mildly). Maybe I was expecting something more concrete or advanced, but the material provided was too basic.

By Roberto C

Apr 01, 2016

The part on predictive analytics and the case studies are actually very good. The other two ... not so (and I stop here). Overall the course is too easy, unnecessarily spread over 5 weeks: e.g. week one and two are material for 2 days. Whilst successfully demonstrating the benefit of CA, the course never enters the nitty gritty of how to.

By Soraya S A

Jun 05, 2020

The course information is a bit outdated, and many slides are missing from the first couple of weeks. Other than that, it's a good course to get a general idea of what to research on the subject (it doesn't get down to the nitty-gritty details or how to calculate most of it, but the course states it doesn't, so it wasn't a surprise).

By Vivek S

Nice intro to the concept of analytics, but compared to the other three courses (People, Accouting, Operations) - this one chould have been more detailed.

The course should ideally be expanded to a more holistic "Marketing Analytics", with concepts on pricing & promotional analytics as well as measuring ROI on marketing investments.

By Emem M

Jan 03, 2019

They didn't teach badly per se, but much of the information was WAY too basic compared to what I hoped to learn. The Marketing Analytics course from University of Virginia teaches a set of skills to use for marketing/customer analytics, whereas this course only briefly describes what could be done in marketing/customer analytics.

By Prashanth R

Aug 30, 2016

Great qualitative overview but thats where the good parts end. I wish they actually teach you how to do the math part. It would be a perfect course if we can work on case studies and calculate customer life time value and RFM. This is definitely great course if you have no idea of customer analytics or you are in executive level.

By Sofya S

Jan 16, 2020

First 2,5 weeks are incredibly boring and really hard to listen to. I almost dropped out because I hated the thought that I needed to listen to these lectures. Thankfully starting week 3,5 the situation improved significantly and the contents became relevant. Really liked the last week lectures and the way the quiz was designed.

By Oscar C S

Apr 02, 2020

The information is good, the professors are good, but the innovation of the methods and the point of view i think that is not on a high and actualizated level and the conclusions are so normals. I hope the next formation blocks will turn on another point of view on me. In all cases, thanks for all, i'm so happy for this.

By Ulisses P

Dec 09, 2016

In general terms I think the course is very useful to learn and understand basic concepts around customer analytics field, with the latest platforms, studies, etc within this field.

However, I was expecting to get a little bi deeper into the concepts, with more complex analysts regardin what firms is doing nowadays.

By Vanol F F J

Aug 01, 2020

The most interesting part was the examples at the end. I think the course would have been better if the last week's material was at the beginning. Also, more assignments would be appreciated. I find the information interesting and resources helpful, but I would like practice and some guidance on its application.